Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 15th July 2008, 02:13 AM

Talking My Kennealyii ....

Well i think out of all my dews these have to be one of my favs and a very good grower for me. There have turned into little bushes.. LOL!! I got these dews back at the end of winter it was still super cold and snow on the ground, they came in frozen, in super tiny pots, they only had few tiny leafs/stems and i was for sure they were goners after being frozen. So with alittle love and care and doing what i know best with dews, they made a huge come back and have been growing like crazy ever since. They have gottin nice redish color to them, and at times it dont look like there dewy but on closer inspection sure enough there dewy.. LOL!! While re-aranging my growing chamber i noticed WOW THERE OVER GROWNIN THERE POTS!! There turning into little bushes.. So i needed to repot them again, and took a few pics of them. I also did alittle under growth trimming away the dead and old leafs, they dont seem to mind that at all and seems to help them grow even faster. There little dews with tempers i tell ya, they dont like being moved or outa the place where there growing and even while im cleaning watering or re-aranging and they get moved for just a short amount of time there color gets flunky and there dew disapears quickly. They have flowerd once already since i got them but little turds opened there flowers while i was in bed sleeping , thats ok next time i wont miss the chance to catch the flowers open..

Heres few pics from after i repotted them last night..

Now they have plenty of room to grow grow grow....
Old 15th July 2008, 08:19 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: My Kennealyii ....

They appear to be growing very well for you. I am surprised to hear they survived such a cold winter. Being tropical plants they usually require plenty of heat year round to survive. Do you have a heater in a terrarium to keep them alive through your winter?
Old 15th July 2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Advisor

Nice job 'Cudda! They look great! Tell us about the mix, looks like peat/perlite? Have you tried to make any leaf cuttings? Doesn't look like they'd miss a few. Any other secrets or should we all be making room in our freezers!
Old 15th July 2008, 02:08 PM

Hi strath, i dont have any extra suplamental heating on my growing chambers in the winter, i just make sure that almost all of the top of it is coverd with suranwrap, i leave 2 small gaps one at each end for air curculation and once a day tending to all the plants i leave a portion open for half hr to get fresh air, the growing chambers lights above create enough heat for me to keep even dews that require high temps, i have been able to create a gradiant so that one end is always hotter than the other. The heat from the lights is always in check, i have foil above the bulbs in the shop lights to refflect as much light downward, the suranwrap stops alot of heat from the lights from comming in contact with the plants so as not to fry them, i have had tons luck doing it this way for many yrs now without any probs of over heating or burn to the plants. I will take some pics of my biggest grow chamber its a 50 gal odd shaped tall and long Tru Vu acrylic tank. So its kinda cloudy scratched up so you will have to bare with me on the pics when i take um they look real cloudy.
Anyways the grow chambers are in a spare small bedroom of mine that i had converted into my office so its stays real warm in here in the winter time, due to how many house plants i have and the constant watering of them in the winter the humidity in my house is always reading between 78% to 85%. I thought for sure they were goners due to the fact they were FROZEN and i mean Frozen when they came in and looked dead, so i dont know how they managed to survive other than super fast quick dormancy they went into in such a short amount of time durring shipping maybe? They have been growing like gangbusters for the past 6 months now and they dont seem to be slowing down at all.

Hi shawnintland, thank you very much. The CP media i use is a mix of my own i make its 60% spag peat, then 20% perlite, 10% sand and 10% shredded/choped dry LFS all mixed together, the last time i repoted these dewy kids i had moist LFS on the bottom of there pots then the mix on top of that, they did just fine with that but i wanted more drainage this time so i used perlite on the bottom of the pots this time and then the mix on that. They are tempramental thats for sure they dont like being SOGGY/WATER LOGGED at all but do like being super moist, i noticed the bigger one had way longer roots and the smaller one has a ball of roots. They both sit in the same amount of distilled water, ive noticed when the tiny amount of water they sit in gets almost gone then they have this huge growth spurt. I have tried leaf/stem cuttings/pullings on dry moistend LFS and to no avail, and i also tried the same thing on the media mix i use and to no avail, im gona go with live spag next and keep the pot coverd this time under some diffrent lighting and see how that goes. My next op is cross pollinating the flowers, but sneaky little dews bloom while im not watching or in bed sleeping at night, THAT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.. Next time they flower i will be watching even if i am up for days... I could wait till winter and try to do a division on them.. Ya never know maybe the freezing had some play here in the part of making them grow so well or its just the way i have them set up and the media i use.
I have some D. falconeri comming in soon and im gona grow them the same way im growing these dews if they do well i guess im doing something right.. LOL!!!
Old 19th October 2009, 06:43 PM

I thought they were flytraps
Old 10th November 2009, 08:28 AM

I wish my plant looked like urs, its still recovering from shock, and no new leaves yet. They have always reminded me of flytraps, and i think, what if they evolved from a deformed flytrap!? anyways those are some healthy pots! =)