Pinguicula Everything about Pings or Butterwort

Old 30th June 2008, 02:35 AM
Technical Administrator

Default ericsow: Pinguicula from Cameron highland

ericsow

Pinguicula from Cameron highland
« Thread Started on Dec 25, 2007, 7:13pm »
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I get three Pings from Cameron Highland yesterday, and I need your expertise to ID them. I read quite a number of Ping thread, Most Ping like more sun and water?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Re: Pinguicula from Cameron highland
« Reply #1 on Dec 25, 2007, 8:05pm »
eric eric eric,

where on earth in CH did you find those Pinguiculas????

I search all over CH over 2 days period but couldn't find even one, the same goes for Droseras too...

I only found lot's of neps.- both TC & 'org asli' and some sarracenias at this one nursery.

As for IDing them... hehhehe... can't help you much there... but I think I see a Mexican Ping and a P. gigantea, but not too sure l...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
ericsow

« Reply #2 on Dec 25, 2007, 10:04pm »
Athene,

The first Ping I found at Cameron night market. During offering price with seller, he told me that Cactus Valley is selling more expensive. Then I get it at RM15 and RM9 for Tillandsia Cotton Candy.

Next day morning I went to Cactus Valley buy 2nd and 3rd Ping. They selling one pot of Ping at RM17 but if you buy 2 pots cost RM30.

Afternoon I went down near to Ringlet buy Nep from org asli, Red and green Cameron N. Sanguinea RM10 and two small N. ampularia only RM4.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #3 on Dec 25, 2007, 10:30pm »
You lucky fella,

I've been looking out for Pings in Cameron Highlands everytime I am there but have not found them. hey, if they have it in CH, they might be available at nurseries in Kuala Lumpur. Will check it out. Did not see any in Sg. buloh last week when I was there snooping around.

I think they are from YG nursery. I got one plant from Wilson in Sabah a couple of weeks ago. Also a sundew and Wilson and Tarence suspect that they are from YG Park in Cameron Highlands. It seesm they export the plants. If this is true, I guess it's because they did not find the local market viable enough. We've got to get more Cpers and influence them to bring mroe in and sell locally.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007, 10:35pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Dec 25, 2007, 11:02pm »
David,
Pings are hard to ID without their flowers unless by their forms. Yours all look like they got moranensis parentage in them. What other parentage could be further determined by looking at the flowers. The second one looks rather P. x 'Sethos' given the colour and the shape of the leaves...but then again I can't be sure because under different light conditions, some Pings can look quite different.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ericsow

« Reply #5 on Dec 26, 2007, 2:00pm »
Athene,

For your info, there is a lot Drosera capensis at CH. I cant confirmed that is capensis or not but for me it is. ( I believe those are quite something there)

David,

I was spent 3 days 2 night at CH. Search high and low for every nursery and plant shop. I get the 1st Ping at night market, the seller selling sarracenias ( not in good shape) and airplant. VFT, Sarracenias and Drosera still sell at expensive price compared to sg buluh.

Cindy,

If those plant cant be identified, I will leave them with one inch of water level at this moment. The 3rd ping going to flower soon. Hope this help me to identify it.

« Reply #6 on Dec 26, 2007, 2:14pm »
David, you did the right comment. I just discovered that three of my Pings' pot with "YG quality plant" printing
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged sockhom

« Reply #7 on Dec 26, 2007, 5:26pm »
Hello guys !

That's quite funny to see that it's so hard for you to find CP such as Pinguicula and Drosera. Here, it's the contrary: we can buy loads of different sundews and butterworts but ampullaria variations for example (apart from the speckeld, tricolor, red and green ones) are very hard to find.

Friendly,

François.

Administrator

« Reply #8 on Dec 27, 2007, 8:52am »
You are lucky François to be able to find so many cps in Fance. The plant business and market here is quite different. There is a dire need for good cultivation information, especially with the majority of nursery owners.

The producers or suppliers do not share cultivatin information with nursery people and growers readily. There are a few reasons for this and that is why one of the aim of this forum is to inform growers, share cultivation tips and plants.

Because of the lack of information, the Cps that are carried by the nurseries start to decline in health after a while. Some of them looks like they are merely existing after a couple of weeks and some die. You will find many nurseries place their sarras, drosera and vfts in the shade if they carry them. I tried to tell a nursery once to place their VFTs and Sarras out under the sun and I get a nasty stare and rude reply saying that that's not the way to grow them. I wasn't trying to be a smart guy by telling them. Just felt sad for the situation the plants were in.

This causes the nursery owners to shy away from carrying these plants in their nursery as they are afraid of making a loss. The general idea is these plants are difficult to care for. But it's just because they've been missinformed or they did not have information at all.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2007, 9:04am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ericsow

« Reply #9 on Dec 28, 2007, 1:08am »
David, let go visiting YG park. I just get another YG product but not IDed.
Administrator

« Reply #10 on Dec 28, 2007, 8:49am »
What did you get? What did you get?

You're talking about visiting YG Park nursery? have to call them up for an appointment and they usually do not entertain buyers like us unless we are buying in bulk from them. They'll usually ask us to go to their retail shop at Cactus Valley. But I can try.

When do you want to go. I need to discuss with my "Minister of Home Affairs" first. Chances are slim but I can try. Most probably if I go it would be a day trip.

By the way, how does the droseras look like? Are the leaves elongated or spoon shaped?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ericsow

« Reply #11 on Dec 28, 2007, 10:38am »

Quote:What did you get? What did you get?

You're talking about visiting YG Park nursery? have to call them up for an appointment and they usually do not entertain buyers like us unless we are buying in bulk from them. They'll usually ask us to go to their retail shop at Cactus Valley. But I can try.

When do you want to go. I need to discuss with my "Minister of Home Affairs" first. Chances are slim but I can try. Most probably if I go it would be a day trip.

By the way, how does the droseras look like? Are the leaves elongated or spoon shaped?

David, it look like elongated as D. capensis. The whole highland is selling same type and some even put it at the corner, I guess they should quite sometime at there.

We can try organise a group visit or wait till chinese new year, I ask my cameron local friend to check it out.

« Reply #12 on Dec 28, 2007, 9:18pm »

Urgent, is this Ping not required water tray?

« Reply #13 on Dec 30, 2007, 1:39pm »
David, this type of drosera found at CH.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on Dec 30, 2007, 9:31pm »
D. nidiformis
Administrator

« Reply #15 on Dec 31, 2007, 12:06pm »
Thanks Cindy. I suspected that it was nidiformis but was not sure. I got a plant myself through Wilson in Sabah. He got it from a market.

« Reply #16 on Jan 1, 2008, 11:11pm »
Hi all,

My Ping show a “Kamen Rider” to suprise me.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on Jan 2, 2008, 8:17am »
Wow, Eric, my pings have NEVER flowered for me before...congrats.

David : we got our d.nidiformis from Andy Penang ....he bought it from a nursery. We got a ping from Wilson.....btw, how is your ping & d.nidiformis ? my ping has turned copper colour after getting sun & the sundew is flowering non-stop.

Administrator

« Reply #18 on Jan 2, 2008, 9:02am »
Oh yes, yes, sorry Andy. My memory betray me again. My Ping has also turned copper colour under grow lights but the new leaves seem to have curl upwards a little.

The nidiformis is doing fine... at the moment. Most of the original leaves on the plant have died off but there's a lot of new leaves and dews. Don't know how long it will last in my conditions. As what hongrui mentioned before when I got my first nidiformis from Wee teck of Singapore, the plant will do well for a while in warmer conditions but will stop growing or die off later. he's right. That plant I got from Wee teck has died last week Will see if this plant survive.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on Jan 2, 2008, 8:30pm »
Eric,
The flowering Ping is the plant in your 3rd photo right? There was a bud already showing in the pic!

Now you'll just have to post the picture of the flower for ID. Try Terraforums 'cos there are more Ping growers there. Jeff from France (not sure if he is here but he is on GCS) is also very good with ID.
Old 30th June 2008, 02:36 AM
Technical Administrator

Default Re: ericsow: Pinguicula from Cameron highland

ericsow

« Reply #20 on Jan 3, 2008, 1:37pm »
Tarence, thanks for your word.
David, I sure that you will no appetite when look at dried drosera around CH nursery.
Cindy, the 3rd Ping look more like P.moranensis after flowering. How to make it produce seeds?

Another can help on my 1st picture plant? Because almost all big leaf rotted and it become small and smaller.

Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on Jan 3, 2008, 1:58pm »
Eric, you can also try propagate the ping via leaf. Just pull it off with the white part and put on LFS. Keep moist & in bright lites.

Sorry, i`m not well-versed enuff with pings to advice you. Mine are all experiments & some make it but others are slow.

« Reply #22 on Jan 3, 2008, 2:07pm »

Maybe most of ppl no awared that on my main plant 2 o'clock did propagated small plant to me. And the small plant outside layer leaf also rotted too fast.

Middle of main plant now do appear two point to grow new leaf. Are they request dry media?

Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on Jan 3, 2008, 7:22pm »
The expert Ping killer says, "If the plant continues to put out smaller and smaller leaves, soon there will be no more plant left."

I tend to repot Mexican Pings onto drier media when they start to do that. Otherwise the whole plant rots away for me. No idea why this happens...it happened to the P. gigantea a few weeks ago but it is now coming back with less light. I am not so sure if it is really the light itself or is it because it is cooler.

Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on Jan 4, 2008, 8:43am »
since cindy has shared.....heheh. my experiment also involves using drier media. some of them are on pure vermaculite ( the minerals there might be an issue ) & they are doing fine. some don`t make it. so it`s a hit & miss, that`s why i dare not advise you.

« Reply #25 on Jan 4, 2008, 10:20am »
My third Ping's flower

My first Ping going smaller and smaller. Changed it from 3" pot to 1" pot with peat/perlite and top layer with aquarium sand.

My first Ping's baby... repot it to peat/perlite with top layer perlite.

Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on Jan 4, 2008, 11:48am »
Good luck then Eric..........

« Reply #27 on Jan 4, 2008, 4:42pm »
Cindy, what will expert Ping killer say if the Ping's leaf grow fast but not big?
Tarence, blessing to my plant too.

Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on Jan 4, 2008, 7:31pm »
Your first Ping looks like it is dividing itself into two plants. If it continues to grow with leaves about the same size, you are safe. If each new leaf is smaller than the previous leaf, then it is likely to shrink itself to death. In our weather, I have not experience winter dormancy for Pings but instead "summer dormancy". Mexican Pings are more highland in nature so they tend to produce smaller and smaller leaves if the temperature is too warm...not unlike highland Neps in lowland conditions.

There are two flowers on your third Ping!

« Reply #29 on Jan 8, 2008, 2:02pm »

Hi all,

Is it my first Ping changing leaf type? Because I only see those new leaf come with dews.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #30 on Jan 9, 2008, 1:29am »
No its nothing to worry about...your plant is going into dormancy. Reduce watering and only water it occasionally until the point it is moist; do not water it to the point that it is wet or waterlogged. Resume the normal watering routine after about 3 months; if your plant does not wake up after about 4 or 5 months, start giving it more water and it should wake up after that.
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on Jan 9, 2008, 8:45am »
Eric,
It is odd that the smaller leaves produced are more dewy than the older, larger ones. I do agree with Dino that you should cut back on watering to prevent rotting.

« Reply #32 on Jan 9, 2008, 10:10am »
Dino, thanks for your input. Actually I had moved it to dry area when the leaf keep rotted. Now I can put it on my cactus area with watering occasionally.

Cindy, oh I see. No wonder I can't see any dewy when the leaf become bigger/older. Moving it to succulents section.

Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on Jan 9, 2008, 5:56pm »

Quote:No wonder I can't see any dewy when the leaf become bigger/older. Moving it to succulents section.

Eric,
We are supposed to dewy large leaves. Not dewy smaller leaves. When the leaves become smaller, they tend to become more succulent. That is why it is weird that your Ping produced dewy smaller leaves.

« Reply #34 on Jan 9, 2008, 7:03pm »

Quote:
Eric,
We are supposed to dewy large leaves. Not dewy smaller leaves. When the leaves become smaller, they tend to become more succulent. That is why it is weird that your Ping produced dewy smaller leaves.

As I understand from NET, summer leaf large and dewy. Winter leaf succulent and short.

And my leaf is... small and dewy. When it grow up, dewy gone and fast rotted. I could be potential Ping killer soon.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #35 on Jan 10, 2008, 1:03am »
How hot are you keeping these?? A lot of Pinguicula are mountanious plants and like night-time temperatures between about 10-15 Celcius-hot days and nights are also very much disliked when they are dormant, because in their native habitat they are dormant when it is Winter so they will want cooler temperatures during this time.

Once a plant produces its small, succulent Winter leaves it is normal for the Summer leaves to collpase and die quickly. The succulent leaves are usually covered in white hairs as well-are you sure that the leaves in your picture are not hairs??I cant quite tell from here If they are then it is normal dormancy signs, if not then it is other problems, either with the temperature or some other factor.

How wet are you keeping these and how much sun are they getting?? If they are constantly in full, hot sun then they should be kept very wet; in my experience Pinguicula burn in full sun if their soil is moist, but they thrive if it is kept wet.

Administrator

« Reply #36 on Jan 14, 2008, 10:19pm »

Quote:We got a ping from Wilson.....btw, how is your ping & d.nidiformis ? my ping has turned copper colour after getting sun & the sundew is flowering non-stop.

Hi Tarence,

Here's a picture of the Ping from Wilson. Just taken it with my new camera (heh, heh, heh... yaa man! I've got my own camera now. Can take tons of pictures of my "pets"... ok back to topic...)

I've also gotten another ping from Sg. buloh about 1 week ago. Choong helped me buy it when he was there. Love this fella. Really huge. about 3.5 inches to 4 inches in diameter. Here's the picture...

You can see a flower bud growing out. I can't wait to see the flowers.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on Jan 15, 2008, 9:05am »
wah......nice pings both...my ping from Wilson also looks like yours, coppery colour. i just got another mexican ping as well.....same shape as yours.

wah no 2...got own camera liao`.....i expect lotsa pics from you. *smile*

« Reply #38 on Jan 16, 2008, 12:23pm »
My second Ping is giving flower to me. After compare the shape look likely is P.moranensis hybrid but yet to confirme as P. x 'Sethos.' ( Camera borrowed to someone, can't took picture.)

I tried to pollinate some seed from my third Ping as identified as P. agnata or an agnata hybrid. Hopefully it work. After two flowers going dry soon, another flower bud show up again Will flowering too much will stressed down the plant?

« Reply #39 on Jan 16, 2008, 12:33pm »
Pinguicula agnata or hybrid.

Flower

Structure of Pinguicula flower
Old 30th June 2008, 02:37 AM
Technical Administrator

ericsow

« Reply #40 on Jan 16, 2008, 5:21pm »

Quote:
I've also gotten another ping from Sg. buloh about 1 week ago. Choong helped me buy it when he was there. Love this fella. Really huge. about 3.5 inches to 4 inches in diameter. Here's the picture...

This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

You can see a flower bud growing out. I can't wait to see the flowers.

David, if I am not wrong. You could IDed it as P.'tina'. Pinguicula 'Tina' is a cross between two Mexican butterworts, Pinguicula agnata and Pinguicula zecheri.

Administrator

« Reply #41 on Jan 17, 2008, 1:46pm »
Thanks eric. can someone else confirm this before I start tagging it as P. 'tina'? Will post picture of the flower when it opens in a few days time.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

« Reply #42 on Jan 17, 2008, 10:44pm »
Flower stalk picture 2 days ago...

Flower stalk picture taken yesterday...

Flower stalk picture taken today...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist caseyhoo

« Reply #43 on Jan 17, 2008, 10:58pm »
That is nice...
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
David
Administrator

« Reply #44 on Jan 26, 2008, 12:03am »
Updated pictures of the flower...

Open alas...

So, is this confirmed as P. "tina"?

Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on Jan 26, 2008, 11:17pm »
David, how come in one of your first pics of the flower emerging, there seems to be another bud also coming out ? It kinda disapperaed after that. The pics which says `flower stalk pic taken 2 days ago`...
Administrator

« Reply #46 on Jan 27, 2008, 10:48pm »
Yaa, I know. I also noticed that. I thought 2 flower buds were coming up. But that just dissapeared.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

« Reply #47 on Feb 3, 2008, 4:28pm »
Tarence. The flower bud didn't dissapeared actually. It was covered by the leaves beside it when the first flower stalk grew out. I just found out 2 more are comiing out.

Would it get tired for flowering so much? Shall I cut it off?

« Reply #48 on Feb 21, 2008, 5:16pm »
My "tina" flowering non stop. Till now it had produced eight flower stack but none with seed. I still trying make some seed from it.

My "sethos" also keep flowering.... lately it had a weird flower.

Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on Feb 25, 2008, 9:48am »
David : i`m not sure if you should cut it off or not. does the ping seem to be weakening ? it doesn`t seem to produce seed does it ? as for me, i`ll just let it flower.

Eric : is your weird flower a sign that the ping is weakening ? i wonder....

Administrator

« Reply #50 on Feb 25, 2008, 1:52pm »
Tarence, at the moment my ping does not look very good. As mentioned to you earlier my sundew trays dried out when I was away during the Chinese New Year holidays. So I am not sure if the reason is because of the flowering or the stress from drying out.

The flowers are wilting but still intact. So I do not know if it will seed.

Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on Feb 25, 2008, 2:00pm »
Mine did not produce seed. So it may be a wasted effort to let it flower. « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008, 2:08pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged jonathan

« Reply #52 on Feb 26, 2008, 1:48am »

For pings to produce seeds you must self pollinate the the flower as the stigma and pollen gland are blocked by a part of the flower itself...

for me even after the pings flower it don't seems to takes a lot of energy off the plant so i guess it's ok to let it flower as long as the condition you are growing it is right...

Cheerio
Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

ericsow

« Reply #53 on Apr 14, 2008, 11:59pm »

Quote:David : i`m not sure if you should cut it off or not. does the ping seem to be weakening ? it doesn`t seem to produce seed does it ? as for me, i`ll just let it flower.

Eric : is your weird flower a sign that the ping is weakening ? i wonder....

Tarence, it is a sign that they are going into dormancy. All three Pinguicula sleeping now...

Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on Apr 15, 2008, 9:35pm »
Eric, I find that Mexican Pings produce smaller and smaller leaves during the hot months. I lose many if I don't keep them in a cool and shady area during June-September period.

« Reply #55 on Apr 23, 2008, 8:45pm »
Guess... how is my Pinguicula.

First row from front number two from right. I almost lose it at begin and now it like... small plant.

Very messy P. "tina"

And... P."weser" also multi center come out.

Do I need to repot tina and weser? and split them to individual?

Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on Apr 28, 2008, 8:35am »
eric, i suggest you split them if u can. they can`t grow like this anyways, too crowded. most of my ping clusters got split by the rains when they were smaller. so it was an act of God for me. Mebbe that`s how it works in nature yah ? heheh.

« Reply #57 on Apr 28, 2008, 10:18am »
oh my... I not confident to split them with unknown root system. I don't want another poor Ping like my first picture... I saw it myself, the Ping from diameter 4-5inches become less than one inch. This is nightmare to me.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged undentified

« Reply #58 on Apr 28, 2008, 10:11pm »
my ping is also split into two not too long ago but i am a beginner in this so i scare i will injure the roots when i split them into two separate pot. could anyone give a suggestion how to do it which can minimize the effect of the split? thanks
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on Apr 29, 2008, 5:39pm »
Eric, my P. x Tina and P. x weser (fake) are doing the exact same thing as yours.

I think the multiplication of the plant is due to higher temperatures. All my pings seems to be having multiple growth points this season.
Old 30th June 2008, 02:37 AM
Technical Administrator

ericsow

« Reply #60 on May 5, 2008, 6:47pm »
Look like Ping killer didn't appeared. I had to start my "adventure" to SPLIT them, let them be lonely and only.
Old 19th December 2008, 09:47 PM

Wow... after eight months from my ping changed to winter leave. Finally it start growing to has summer leave and catching number of small fly. Almost year, i still remember that I get it at last year Christmas day.

tina and weser having same conditioned. Summer leave and catching insert now.
Old 21st December 2008, 11:51 AM

Had been long long time... it like this...

After 6-7 months ago... the dew appear again and catch insert. Can feel the butter touch on the leaf... Ho ho ho ho