Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 16th January 2009, 01:02 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Triffid Park - Moved from Strath76 Growlist thread

Paid a quick visit to Triffid Park this afternoon and couldn't resist picking up a few more plants. Heliamphora tatei, Drosera binata var. multifida f. extrema, Drosera dilatato-petiolaris, Utricularia praelonga and Utricularia paulineae.
Old 16th January 2009, 03:13 PM
Pioneer

Default Re: Strath76 Growlist

I just had a look at Triffid Park website, the prices for most plants are pretty reasonable. Unfortunately the cost of getting a phytosanitary certificate is very high.

I will definitely pay them a visit if I get to Melbourne. I gathered you need to get an appointment to visit them.

Just how big are the sarracenias they are selling for A$8 and A$12?

Choong
Old 16th January 2009, 03:40 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Choong. They have some pretty good prices. As for the appointment it generally doesn't need to be too far in advance. I called them up about an hour before I went out. I have always found a call half to one hour before I get their to be OK with them. Having said that you do need to be prepared for the fact that they may not be there.

As for the sarra's they are mature plants. All plants that I have seen there are of flowering age and if you buy in spring most are flowering. As for size it of course depends on species but they would be at least the equal of any that you would buy commercially from a nursery (I am pretty sure they supply wholesale to nurseries here in Oz).
Old 16th January 2009, 05:34 PM
Pioneer

Thanks for the info.

When I was working in Melbourne many many many years ago, I used to get my cps from Victoria Market. I wondered if there are still stalls selling cps there?

Choong
Old 20th January 2009, 01:50 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

I couldn't really say. I don't really go in to the Vic Market all that often. I think I have been there once in about 2 years. Last time I was there I didn't see any CP's. Your best bet is Triffid Park or Collectors Corner. Fortunately if you are heading to Triffid Park from the city Collectors Corner is only a small detour. It probably adds about 10 minutes to the trip (not including the amount of time you spend looking at the plants).

Triffid park are now starting to sell at a few markets but these are generally in the outer areas and on the other side of the city to me. They will be selling at a large trade show for want of a better term in March. It is called the Unusual and Rare Plant Expo and could be worth a look if anyone happens to be in Melbourne.

I find the best place to get plants though is at a Society meeting. I am a member of the Victorian Carnivorous Plant Society and there are generally plants available to buy at all meetings. The prices are great and you find plants that you don't find to often elsewhere.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:36 AM
Pioneer

Thanks for the info strath76. If I do go over to Melbourne I will give you a note. I hope I can still remember the roads.

Choong