Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Sarracenia

Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Old 23rd October 2008, 08:39 PM

Default Sarracenia Self pollenation

Hi, would like to check if anyone has tried self pollenating or at least pollenating the same flower with it's own pollen for Sarracenia?

One of my Sarracenia (I think it's the S. Alata) has grown a bud, and it should be blooming soon. I would like to know if I can try to get some seeds out of it if I try to pollenate it with it's own pollen. The problem is that there are no other Sarracenias in my collection that is actually flowering now.

Another thing, is that we are about to get cooler weather now that the North East winds are starting to come (dry season) I am not sure why the plant chose to bloom at this time, wonder if it was actually sleeping these past few months, though it never grew any dormancy leaves.

Wonder if I should just cut the flower stalk! I heard someone tell me that Sarracenias don't show that much stress while flowering though.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Sarracenia Self pollenation

I don't think that sarrs can self pollinate themselves.Therefore cut it or something or maybe trade with other people

Ken

Ken
Old 24th October 2008, 12:08 AM

Thanks Ken, but what I mean is I will be pollenating it myself by manually transferring Pollen from itself and pollenating the same flower. Sorry for using "self pollenating".

I wonder if anyone has tried this before. I sure did try this on a VFT, and I got a few seeds from it.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 24th October 2008, 12:52 AM
Executive Member

Hi Arvin...

From what i have learn you can actually manually pollinate sarra with it's own pollen but the result may be guaranteed. If you can pollinate it with another clone or another plant then it will surely set seeds...

Btw you will never know... maybe you will get good set of seeds by just using it's own pollen^^ "always have fate"

Hope this help...

Regards
Jonathan
Old 24th October 2008, 04:27 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Arvin. You can pollinate the flower with it's own pollen but the resulting offspring wont be as vigorous or as strong growing as if it was pollinated using pollen from another flower. The success rate of germination can also be reduced when 'selfing' Sarra's.

As for the timing of the flower your plant will be coming out of a dormancy period as they flower after dormancy. Alata's do not produce phyllodia when dormant they simply stop producing new pitchers. If you have flava or oreophilla plants you will get phyllodia from these when they are going into dormancy.

Can you post a picture of your plant? I have an alata 'Red Throat' flowering at teh moment and would be happy to collect the pollen from it and exchange it with yours. PM me if you are interested. Cheers.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone, will try.

Strath, I will post photo soon. Not sure if sending each other pollens will work, post usually take 7 days the flowers might have closed by that time, but I'm willing to try. It is still a bud now.

I have also flava and Leuco, both are not flowering yet. My plants are not given any cold dormancy, the original owner who sold them to me never had problems. These are technically "island grown" Sarras from seeds, hopefully that means they have grown to not need dormancy... maybe.

TTFN
Arvin