Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 29th June 2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Default rainforestguy: Mike's Picks

rainforestguy

Mike's Picks
« Thread Started on Jan 11, 2008, 7:20am »
I thought this would be a good opportunity to showcase some newer crosses EP has come up with.
The Mansell's has also flowered N. merrilliana with some of the largest pitchers seen around. I especially like N. rafflesiana x merrilliana. Please note that everyone always rants and raves for a rafflesiana hybrid. Well gang, here it is! Twice the size at the merrilliana's expense. I can see strong raff characteristics show through this hybrid. From what I have seen with previous raff crosses, I can tell this will be a colorful clone and will get HUGE!
Another interesting cross is the merrilliana with N. bical-red. Bicalcarata is already known as a giant, but I think merrilliana will somewhat make this plant better behaving in size in keeping with the larger, largest pitcher size. The fangs will be a minimum, but the shape of bical showing a strong characteristic shape.
One that I am particularly interested in is N. [(thorelii x rafflesiana) x thorelii] x merrilliana. This hybrid combines a super hybrid of the mother, which has beautiful pitchers, very red and beautiful. Crossed with N. merrilliana, well, it will be a good warm grower for vigor and sun tolerance and color, color, color! And with the price, sold out fast.
Don't overlook the thorelii x merrilliana either. Recall thorelii x truncata, thorelii x rafflesiana, thorelii x maxima, and now thorelii x merrilliana. I think we should aptly name this N. MegaGodzilla! You were warned here.
One sibuyanensis hybrid to watch for is sibuyanensis x (northiana x veitchii). I can't imagine a northiana x veitchii getting any larger. Expect striped, wide flaring peristome and a handsome pitchering hybrid. Now the price,...well be sure you got enough so when you see my photos of this getting more colorful you won't be hearing any "I wish I got one..." comments. This is gonna be grand!
For those who seem to have it all. I recommend N. spectabilis x (lowii x ventricosa red). All hybrids arising from their N. spectabilis clone have been outstanding hybrids! This is no exception. It combines N. spectabilis AND lowii with a dash of ventricosa red. The lowii x ventricosa red already looks so much like lowii, it will be like crossing N. spectabilis x lowii. Now again, we all know that anything crossed with lowii will increase in value with age as these get all bought up. Did you get a few extras to sell on Ebay before you think you have enough? These will be gone and again, I wish I woulda coulda dida, oh well.
Next to this hybrid, I can also see N. ventricosa red x (lowii x ventricosa red) to be as good if not better than the real thing! Recall their earlier cross of N. ventricosa red x (ventri x talangensis). Wasn't that back cross look outstanding? This is the one we'll be seeing on Ebay selling for a lot of $$$.
They have several other crosses. Another which is interesting is N. truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides). Can you imagine a larger ventri x aristo pitcher? Probably with a more pronounced peristome this round.

Plus they have a lot of rooted cuttings of select rare stuff, not to be missed. Get your groupies started, because the race is on!

The most important point to know here is that these are SEED-grown originals and each plant has the ability to adapt and develop in your climate zone.

Michael

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi