Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 22nd October 2008, 05:35 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

Default A meeting with Stewart McPherson

I don't know if this the right forum for this thread so if David wish move this I understand.
Stewart McPherson is the author of Pichter Plants of the Americas, Lost World of the Guinea Highlands, and Glistening Carnivores. He came to the ACPS meeting last night and gave talk about Nepenthes of Philippines, Sulawasi, New Guinea and quick look at the at few Borneo species.
The interesting news for the Neps fanatics is the species count is at 129 species. Futhermore he show photos of around 20 new or soon to be published species including minature species. One species is named after David Attenbrough the famous TV naturist and documentary maker.
Stewart is really nice guy who going infect lots of people with the CP poison.
I brough couple of his books while he was at the meeting and he was kind enough to sign them These books are now the pride of my CP books.
Old 22nd October 2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: A meeting with Stewart McPherson

You got to meet him, you lucky "devil"! I am planing to buy Lost World of the Guinea Highlands and Glistening Carnivores from his website in the near future. Just need a little bit more time.

I received a leaflet about his books last month together with my copy of ICPS newsletter. Been staring at the brochures and logging on to his website every now and then.

Do tell us about his books after you've read them.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 22nd October 2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Advisor

"Ditto"! Been longing to read through his books ever since I saw the website! Almost finished with the 'first read-through' of Charles Clarke's Neps of Sumatra and Pen. Malaysia...figured it would take a while but I better order Stuart's soon!
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:21 PM

Wow lucky you and im excited about the 20 new species and the miniature ones

Ken
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:26 AM

Wow you are lucky! I've been wanted to read his Lost World book but it's sort of expensive- I'll probably wait till I can get it cheaper or get it at a local library or something.

Like David said we expect a review of the new books.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:33 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Khoas I too had the pleasure of sitting through Stewart's presentation at a VCPS meeting last night. The man is truely inspiring and I can hardly wait for the release of his two new books, Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volumes 1 &2. Stewart said he is writing at the moment and hoped to release them in January or February next year.

Some of the plants Stewart showed had not been seen since they were first discovered close to a hundred years ago. Certainly his story of being led through a prison farm by machette weilding murderers for three days certainly makes you appreciate what he goes through to research the books.

His passion is ceretainly evident and very infectious and I can highly recommend his books as they are a great read. As an added bonus he donates the profits of his books back into the conservation of CP's in the wild.