Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 14th November 2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Re: personally weird and obscure...

Vincent,
I think if you said none of us in the tropics (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore & Thailand) never tried growing H/L plants, then you're wrong... The results were usually poor, with neps growing smallish pitchers (best case scenario without plant dying). Intermediate neps however are more forgiving to be grown in L/L tropical weather with good results. With all this being said, there will be always some exception....

From my little experience of growing nepenthes, I have found only a handful of intermediate to H/L nep species that can do some what ok in L/L tropical weather. However, hybrids of intermediates or H/L nep with L/L species will be very adaptable to L/L tropical weather.

Most temperate countries have weather pattern similar to intermediate condition hence IMHO have more flexibility in terms of growing nep species or hybrids from wider temperature range with better results.

FYI, most of the nep growers in L/L tropical weather region kept the plants outdoor hence most of the plant will experience what mother nature will provide directly without any sort of shelter (at most some shade) be it sun or non stop tropical monsoon downpour...

I get what you're trying to convey and encourage and your intention is good, it's always good to have someone remind and push us for we can move forward... thanks.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:19 PM

lol that was a good one xD David, didnt mean to sound like malaysia was just a tuft of jungle, and u are right. We have very different climates here, for i experience about 9 ft of snow every winter where i live lol. Its kinda easy, I fill my atomizer up with ice cubes and refrigerated distilled water, and give all my plants a spray in one whack.They have trays that dont touch the pots under them to catch excess water, thus creating a never ending evaporating ponds;keeps humidity above aleast 60% im guessing. None of my nepenthes can survive outside in the summer, except for sanguinea its 5 cuttlings, they have survived our scorching dry sun! I guess all in all, i try to keep temp,humidity,etc. at 60%-70%. You then can grow ultra high and lowlands, cuz the ultra lowlands maximum is the ultra lowlands minimum. get it? And Kevyn, thats right! Think more positive, and damn it be daring! Dont think about it as being irrational, as i know thats what probably just went through your mind, think of it as you are being open minded, and know that you can accomplish anything. Plants are easier, cuz they dont think, they do. They have the power to rip through concrete foundations and rip down houses, and eat living creatures!Adapt? that depends on you. Once they leave that nursery and get put in a box its all up to us to give it the care it needs. The thing is, its getting a whole new different set up, so it doesnt matter really where its gonna go, its gonna sit in a plastic bubble with some water in it and acclimate. After a good 4 days poke some holes in the bag with a fork,once,every day for the next week till you can start taking the bubble off every few hours a day. Next plans, where to put it? in your collection. But what if it likes it a little colder and its hot? distilled water ice cubes. And if you have a spray bottle, put some in there and mist the plants. I have my plants by a gaping east facing window, so it stays farely cold in the winter. luckily there is a heater right there so it doesnt go down past 62%.Sorry, i would go on, but got off work, its 4 20 am here, and im la tired lol. caio
Old 14th November 2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
you cant grow high lands, but lowlands; and i grow high lands, but not lowlands? I grow low med and high in the same atmosphere( and i will probably mention this a million more times) with only one plant, bicalcarata, still showing signs of acclimating. Hope this helps
if H/L and L/L neps adapt and grows with ease in the tropical lowland then i would expect wild neps migrate in either direction long ago, and expect an explosion of various hybrid or perhaps new species. But no they've a limit to their growth zone.

As David mention your location may be suitable for growing both L/L and H/L under the same conds. This can't be disputed. A year round intermediate temp averaging 24°C with average humidity 65% was conducive for most neps. This time of the year in the tropics( Borneo at least ) enjoy cool rainy day, high humidity and night temp 25°C. Neps that grow in the intermediate zone tended to do well until march when the hot dry monsoon approaches.

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Vincent. This encourage tropical growers to seek growing in another dimension.

Can you post your plants in another thread for all to share
Old 14th November 2009, 09:47 PM

you guys are cool =p
Old 16th November 2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
And Kevyn, thats right! Think more positive, and damn it be daring! Dont think about it as being irrational, as i know thats what probably just went through your mind, think of it as you are being open minded, and know that you can accomplish anything. Plants are easier, cuz they dont think, they do. They have the power to rip through concrete foundations and rip down houses, and eat living creatures!Adapt? that depends on you. Once they leave that nursery and get put in a box its all up to us to give it the care it needs. The thing is, its getting a whole new different set up, so it doesnt matter really where its gonna go, its gonna sit in a plastic bubble with some water in it and acclimate. After a good 4 days poke some holes in the bag with a fork,once,every day for the next week till you can start taking the bubble off every few hours a day. Next plans, where to put it? in your collection. But what if it likes it a little colder and its hot? distilled water ice cubes. And if you have a spray bottle, put some in there and mist the plants. I have my plants by a gaping east facing window, so it stays farely cold in the winter. luckily there is a heater right there so it doesnt go down past 62%.Sorry, i would go on, but got off work, its 4 20 am here, and im la tired lol. caio
i rest my case and leave it to the Experts...........
Old 20th November 2009, 08:02 AM

girly voice,"This house is cleahr!" lmao