Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 8th July 2008, 03:27 PM
Pioneer

Default Sanguinea - A Fantasy

This is what I managed to get: 10 - 12 cm pitchers from my indoor setup.

This is what I know sanguinea is capable of. The 28cm pitcher, the largest I have seen so far was found in Genting Highlands.

Now, here is something you don't see everyday. Be prepared to spend a day or two hiking up Gunung Benum (from Cameron Highlands) for these extra large arboreal pitchers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...aMtBenum01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...aMtBenum06.jpg

Enjoy.

Choong
Old 8th July 2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: Sanguinea - A Fantasy

Nice pictures Choong! I envy you the look of your "non-grasshopper chewed" plants and perfect pitchers! The 28 cm sanguinea looks like leather. Was the plant very big, and if so was it climbing something or just big and squat? I received some N. sanguinea seed from a member and despite my lowland conditions (so far!) the seedlings are doing great. Doubt I'll ever get any to reach those sizes but it's the stuff of dreams! Thanks for showing us!

The Gunung Benum arboreal pitchers are astounding!
Old 8th July 2008, 07:09 PM
Pioneer

Shawn

The photo of me was taken by David. It is a normal pitcher. And the plant is not very big, probably about a foot tall as the plant is growing in a very dry clay surface. If ever a sanguinea will do well in the lowlands, I think this plant will. Occasionally, you can find some small sanguineas growing on dry bare rocks. Those that grow in very inhospitable environment are very tough.

Choong
Old 8th July 2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Wow Choong! Those are really huge sanguinea pitchers at Gunung Benum. Simply beautiful. The largest I've seen is the one with you in the picture.

You were mentioning to me that because of the size of the pitchers, the pitcher crumbles a little. Is wonder if this is normal for all sanguinea in different places. I guess if the lowland mirabilis grows near to that size, it would have trouble holding it's own pitchers too.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:00 PM
Pioneer

In the wild, sanguineas and I think they are also true amongst other species are link by a large network of roots, What you think are a few plants may actually be a singular plant joint by roots. Very often what I thought were seedlings are actually the plant's new nodes. By having such a network, the plant have more chance of trapping insects. Most of the traps that I have seen are full of black ants. So in nature, producing 20cm plus pitcher is quite normal. But they are usually at ground level. Because when they are filled with rain water , they can be heavy. I guess it is only logical that upper pitchers are always smaller than the lowers.

In the wild, sanguineas and I think they are also true amongst other species are link by a large network of roots, What you think are a few plants may actually be a singular plant joint by roots. Very often what I thought were seedlings are actually the plant's new nodes. By having such a network, the plant have more chance of trapping insects. Most of the traps that I have seen are full of black ants. So in nature, producing 20cm plus pitcher is quite normal. But they are usually at ground level. Because when they are filled with rain water, they can be heavy. I guess it is only logical that upper pitchers are always smaller than the lowers.

Now, having seen the photos, why would the arboreal plant produce such exceptionally large pitchers? What is there to gain to have such large pitchers? On the ground you get an endless supply of ants but in the air you only trap the occasional flying insects. Beside, even if they are half filled with water, they will weigh 500 to 1000 gm. The water ladened pitchers will really stress vining plant.

Why then, do plants produce large pitchers? What should the optimum size of the pitcher be?

Choong
Old 10th July 2008, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the pic Chong.What are they?giants..???
Wow have to go one day.Where is it actually from Cameron Highland?