Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > MEMBERS CORNER > Interaction

Interaction General chit chat area.

Old 17th June 2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default Guppy fish

Just want to ask those of you who are also into planted tanks or fishes where I can buy really good quality guppy fishes in KL area. I am looking for rare species or really nice ones.

Found some info about a shop in Penang and fish farm in Singapore. Just can't find any in KL.

I have a clay pond at the window of my apartment where my plants are and woudl liek to have some guppies in there.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 17th June 2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: Guppy fish

KL can contact harnsheng. He now work in SLS.

http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com.my/news.php

http://www.my-mac.net/forum/viewforu...c328592e1296bf

Penang can contact Helven or fishoman.
http://www.myguppy.net/
Old 17th June 2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Global Moderator

BTW, All those show guppy are consider as 1 species, Poecilia reticulata. The various type of guppy are produced through selective breeding, just like cps cultivar.
Old 17th June 2009, 06:37 PM

Guppy are real easy fishes.They can grow in some drain,haha.The only thing to be cautious of is NOT TO OVERFEED them.About three real small(1 mm size0 can do for one fish.I did overfeed them and my guppy all died.....
Old 18th June 2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Thanks Lim for the links and information and thanks marvin for the warning. Will keep that in mind.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 18th June 2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

David, you're not trying to grow water based CP are you? With fishes, I recommend, U aurea and/or U gibba. As the fish produces urea, they'll fill your pond in no time. Both U makes pretty good mulch for plants hehe.

Marvin is right, overfeeding will kill them and lots of feacal matter. Lim is the expert here. Maybe you might want some exotic ones which will cost about RM50 a set (2M1F)
Old 19th June 2009, 09:43 AM
Global Moderator

Fancy show guppies are really delicate subjects to keep and breed. Most cost around RM50-200 per pair (or 2 males and 1 female). With that kinda $$$, I personally would go for more CPs instead.. My dad used to breed some of these guppies but they are weak and short-lived. The males of some varieties (particularly the 'ribbon'fin') are sterile because the reproductive organ is abnormally shaped and they can't mate. Most babies of these fancy guppies are also weak and susceptible to all sorts of problems before they reach mature size..
Old 19th June 2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bactrus View Post
David, you're not trying to grow water based CP are you? With fishes, I recommend, U aurea and/or U gibba. As the fish produces urea, they'll fill your pond in no time. Both U makes pretty good mulch for plants hehe.

Marvin is right, overfeeding will kill them and lots of feacal matter. Lim is the expert here. Maybe you might want some exotic ones which will cost about RM50 a set (2M1F)
Ban Aik, RM50 can only get a grade B guppy. Nowadays guppy can be as expensive as a yellow tailed arowana