Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 7th October 2008, 08:27 PM
Advisor

Default My new TC plants

I bought quite a number from ischan.

But first to be hardened and growing are these.

D. hartmeyerorum - putting out new dewy leaves

P. filifolia - very very cute, so dewy and looks like a sundew!
Old 7th October 2008, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default Re: My new TC plants

Nice Cindy! I'm getting two from ischan and getting it from Clare this weekend. One of the plants I am getting is also D. hartmeyerorum. Looking at yours giving out a new leaf, can't wait to get mine.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 7th October 2008, 10:43 PM
Advisor

I just hope this species is more forgiving than D. indica. I can't grow the latter for nuts except for super hot and sunny months. Then it dies before it gives me seeds.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:48 AM
Advisor

my limited experience with D. hartmeyerorum is that, unfortunately, it is not as forgiving as D. indica. it does not do well under direct sun, doing better under partial shade. i had one germinating from seed, but it died from unknown causes after 8 months, just when i was starting to see the yellow glands.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the tips. Will keep them in mind. Cindy anymore tips before I get my plant? Really want it to thrive for me. It's a beauty.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 8th October 2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongrui View Post
my limited experience with D. hartmeyerorum is that, unfortunately, it is not as forgiving as D. indica. it does not do well under direct sun, doing better under partial shade. i had one germinating from seed, but it died from unknown causes after 8 months, just when i was starting to see the yellow glands.
Well Hongrui, I'm really glad you are still checking in with advice! I have to run straight down and pull my D. hartmeyerorum out of the 'full-sun' position I just moved them to yesterday (with the very best of intentions!).
Old 8th October 2008, 12:21 PM
Advisor

Hongrui, that's exactly what I want to hear! That the species don't do well in direct sunlight...I don't have the photoperiod here at my balcony for VFTs and Sarracenias so you are a bearer of good news.

Now that Hongrui mentioned it, the ones directly under my T5 lights are slower than those further away. Hmmm...time to experiment and investigate...

Btw, what mix are you all using? Mine's just silica sand with about 20-25% peat.

David, I am as new as you to this species. I think maybe Khoas can help too 'cos D. hartmeyerorum is found in Australia.

I forgot to add...I have the plants in peat/sand covered loosely to maintain the humidity because they are quite near to the lights. The others which are further away which are not potted up, are left on perlite. I'll show a couple of photos later.