Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 25th October 2008, 11:09 PM

Default Nepenthes soil problem

Hi all..

I have 2 nepenthes which are potted in potting soil and both have not much problem pitchering just that its not that big.The 2 unlucky neps are my N ventrata and my N mixta x fusca.I don't have any pics on it so i'm gonna try to describe the problem

The thing is that few months back when i water these 2 neps the water comes rushing at the bottom of it even of i water just a little.When i looked at the media looks as if the soil constricted or something.There is an empty space all around the pot..Means a round empty space at the sides of the pot so it looks as if the media constricted or something.Do any of you guys have this problem???And if so any of you know how to deal with these stuff because i think this is why the 2 neps always have very fast drying medias

Ken
Old 26th October 2008, 12:57 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: Nepenthes soil problem

Hello ken...

By potting soil does you mean "burn earth or black soil"? those that sell by nursery for 1.50 - 2.00 each?

If it's those potting soil i don't think they would constricted till there are empty space round the side of the pot or should i say i have never had that problem with my other plants...

If it's pure peat or peat perlite it would have that problem if you did not water it for a long period of time...

A picture tell a thousand words, why not you post a picture so that everyone here could see and have an idea of what is happening to the media...

Regards
Jonathan
Old 26th October 2008, 06:10 AM

Hi Ken,

I've seen what you describe before on some of my other houseplants. It seems to happen to peaty soils or ones that have started to break down and stick together. As it dries out, the soil contracts within the pot and is difficult to rehydrate because the water just runs down the sides of the pot. I recommend you repot into a more loose mix.

Cheers,
Jion
Old 26th October 2008, 09:07 AM

Hi All

I know this will sound a little weird but actually i'm potting them in a normal potting soil which means its full of nutrients that kinda soil which is used for other plants and not CPs but the 2 neps seems to be fine its just that it pitchers irregularly for the N mixta x fusca..So as chooka said you mean is that the media dehydrated or something??

Ken
Old 26th October 2008, 09:21 AM

Interesting...
What if you set the pots in a bucket of water near the soil level for a day. Would that hydrate the soil to normal again?

Cheers,

Joe
Old 26th October 2008, 01:12 PM

I recommend repotting those two plants with nepenthes media.
The two plants are very tolerant of different potting media's expecially xVentrata so don't think all nepenthes will grow in normal black soil.
Some will grow but slowly and small pitchers.

My xHookeriana grows very slowly in black soil,(hardly a pitcher a month) and after i've repot it with sphagnum moss,it seems to like it's new media very much and start growing very fast.

I hope you learnt a lesson here Ken!