Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 31st December 2008, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Paphiopedilum/ Slipper orchid

paphioboy,

this is the niveum clump, they're in a 10inch pot!

angthong is another variety of niveum. and according to one book it might be another natural hybrid with godefroyae. i usually feed my paph with 1/2 strength of fertiliser.

may i know which nursery in CH is that? the one in kea's farm (next to equatorial hotel) is pretty expensive.
Old 1st January 2009, 01:16 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. There must be something about the medium then. However I am growing my niveum in cocofiber, pebbles, perlite and barkchip mix. On hot days the mix tends to become quite dry, but never on the wet end, but the growth is slow. The ones that I experienced rotting are the ones I kept in burnt soil + peat moss mix, but the paph is concolor and barbatum. I guess I may have to play around with the moisture retention level once more.

Anyway, Happy 2009 to you guys!!!
Old 1st January 2009, 02:15 PM
Global Moderator

OMG, harris, your niveum clump is huge!!! Is it grown protected from rain? The leaves look gorgeous... I'm surprised that the old growths are still there, and not dying back to make room for the new shoots.. It always happens to me, for niveum and other paphs.. What medium are you using, BTW..? You mean it hasn't flowered even once despite being so large? i suggest you increase limestone in the mix. Niveum is one specie that needs limestone in the mix to grow and flower better..

Quote:
may i know which nursery in CH is that? the one in kea's farm (next to equatorial hotel) is pretty expensive.
The nursery is called Uncle Sam's Farm.. its quite big and is on the main road going upslope.. I forgot whether its near Tanah Rata, Brinchang or Ringlet.. BTW, I see you have Coel. ovalis in the background of your photo.. Wanna trade a division of your niveum for the rare albino form of ovalis..?

funkychips, your choice of medium sounds okay to me.. I have the same problem of dryness too, especially with lithophytic/epiphytic paphs.. Don't worry. Some varities of concolor can be rather picky. My Yunnan variety shrunk to half its size after repotting.. The Thai ones are more forgiving.. Barbatum is also a PITA... try callosum instead.. Happy 2009!
Old 1st January 2009, 07:59 PM

paphioboy,

most orchid lover who saw the clump are impressed. The medium used are granite chips and fern chunk. i'll add some more lime stone to the pot, hopefully it will help with the micronutrient needed. the pot is exposed to rain, and at an area with very high humidity that is why there are some fungal growth on the leaves. but the fungal growth has been cleaned now by wiping the leaves one by one with neem oil solution. and, i've moved it to a sheltered area.

yes, i'd be happy to trade the division with ovalis! in fact, i've divided the niveum about 4 months back and i have a pot with healthy 4-5 shoots. so, i can collect the gracillimum as well when i come back from my next offshore trip. i will be going to work in a fews days, so i'm very sorry that i can't collect it within this week.

wah, will check the goodies at uncle sam next time in CH. thanks for the info paphioboy.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:08 PM
Global Moderator

Okay, harris... I'll be happy to trade the ovalis with niveum.. I've PMed you my num, so contact me when you're free..
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Harris, have to waltz to your place once I have some time. Hope you are land bound for some time.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bactrus View Post
Harris, have to waltz to your place once I have some time. Hope you are land bound for some time.
hehehe, unfortunately I'm leaving for work on Monday next week. Don't worry bactrus, everyone wil be invited to my house warming kenduri in may/june. my house is still not entirely completed and it is in such a mess, but when it is ready everyone is welcomed to visit