Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 18th October 2009, 10:34 AM

Default Humidity and Temp Cycle Necessary for L/L?

Hiya Fellow Nep'ers-

Okay, we all know that all living things need a day and night cycle, including plants (well maybe except fungusus(s) and really deep water animals), so for most of us that have a plant terrariums have placed our lights on timers.

But my question is, for a plant to be healthy and grow vigrously, does the temp and humidity also need to go up and down daily?

I understand that a plant can burn itself out photosyntheticaly eventually (I mean it will grow fast at first but then it will tire itself out) if the lights are kept on 24/7.

But will a lowlander, specifically a bical, a species that is normally found in hot, humid swampy areas require drops in temp and humidity? If so, how much of each? I can't pitcher (get it, pitcher instead of picture ) that they both go down that much, that it would be necessary to change anything.

Any info, experiences or wisdom that can be imparted would be greatly appreciated.

Good Growing Everyone
E
Old 18th October 2009, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Humidity and Temp Cycle Necessary for L/L?

I never considered this before....Have no idea
Old 18th October 2009, 09:51 PM

I would like to hazard a guess here. We are talking about Low Land neps, and my guess is that aside from photoperiod I don't think they need much temperature and humidity fluctuation, just the Sunlight/lighting.

It is a different matter altogether with Highland nepenthes, which needs both Lighting changes and temperature changes.

I guess it boils down to what is the natural condition of the plant, and usually Lowland do not have much fluctuation with regards to temperature and humidity. At least that that drastic, I mean the temperature of your terrarium will probably slighly cool down at night when you turn of the light anyway right?

TTFN
Arvin

ps. Oh sheesh just realized you are from Oregon, so you will probably find lowering of temperature during winter? If so I'd like to suggest that at the least keep the Humidity as high as possible even if there is still a bit of cooling, and do not allow to cool too much, can't say up to how much, I would hazard nothing below 20C, but don't quote me on that.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:04 PM
Advisor

Hi E,

Regarding the L/L neps they don't really need any temp fluctuation, but for H/L will be a different. As for humidity best for neps if it is constantly maintain, as the neps really love humidity.

As for 24 hours light on, I am not sure about this, but let just not changing the nature way, terrarium is meant to mimic best natural environment.

For bicalcarata, this is a bit tricky species, it will take sometime to adapt to the new environment, but once established they will thrive very fast, if no pitcher probably not enough humidity.

Just my 2 cents,
Ed
Old 19th October 2009, 07:55 AM

Hello All-

Thank you to all that responded to my inquiry.

Currently, my 10" N. bical is housed alone in a 50 gal. hexagon terror-rium, and yes, I do have a greenhouse for it. The reason I have it in a terror-rium is because it is my favorite nep which I would like view it daily, easily and frequently.

The heat and temp are at a constant 85 degrees and 97% humidity 24/7, and after two weeks of receiving it, it is already producing a new leaf (I may have to slightly cut back on its current growing conditions or else I may only view it for a couple of months before it outgrows its current home he, he, he). As far as lighting, it is next to a large window, so it does get some bright shade for about 4-6 hours a day (if its not raining here in Oregon boo hoo hoo).

So, I guess being an ultra-lowlander, a drastic drop in temp and humidity aren't really necessary for the like of a bical, raff or amp.

But please keep all the comments, suggestions and advice coming.

Thanks and Good Growing,
E
Old 19th October 2009, 05:52 PM

Ooh...Please post a picture
Old 19th October 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
So, I guess being an ultra-lowlander, a drastic drop in temp and humidity aren't really necessary for the like of a bical, raff or amp.
Actually if ever, you do Not want a drestic drop in Temp and Humidify for these species.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 20th October 2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin1997 View Post
Here Ya Go, Marvin1997.

Hope it works and enjoy,
E

Wifey says to me: "You enjoy looking at your plant through a rain?" . . . I replied . . . "Well, yeah".

Before anyone inquires, that is my Big Green Egg that you see reflected on the right side of the Terror-rium, it is a BBQ grill on my patio.

The numbers above indicate the whats going on inside the Terror-rium and those below it are outside of it.

Last edited by Entwadumela; 20th October 2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 20th October 2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin1997 View Post
DANG!!! Sorry those images came out so BIG!!

But here's one more: