PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th June 2009, 05:04 PM
Honorary Advisor

Default Research into mosquito larvae in pitchers

Hi Everyone,

I joined the forum earlier today (see introductions) and mentioned that I am starting up a number of research projects on Nepenthes at Monash University in KL, where I work. One of these projects developed from a presentation that I gave at the Penang flower show last year with Ch'ien Lee. I can't remember who it was, it might have been David Goh from the Butterfly House (please correct me if I'm wrong), but someone asked me whether vector mosquitoes breed in pitchers. My answer was "no, they don't", but he mentioned that he had been fined at least once by the local council in Penang for having mosquitoes breeding in his pitchers.

This made me realise: either we scientists could be wrong when we say that vector mosquitoes don't breed in pitchers, or the council could be wrong when they penalise growers for having harmless mosquito larvae in their pitchers (FYI, a vector mosquito is a species that transmits diseases such as dengue or malaria). Whatever the case, this is a matter that needs to be looked into, (a) so that you guys don't have to worry about getting fined if mosquitoes breed in your pitchers or (b) if there is a problem, we can find a way for you to easily and economically eliminate any risks, so you don't get into trouble. So, I applied for some research funds to investigate this and was fortunate enough to be successful.

The project will have two main parts. One of these will be laboratory-based and will involve several research students. They will look into the ability of Aedes albopictus mosquito larvae (the vector for dengue fever) to survive in pitchers. For this research, we would like to borrow some plants from any of you who might be interested in helping us out. We have a good horticultural facility here, so any plants we borrow will be well looked after. Plus, long before I became a scientist, I grew neps for a hobby, so I know how to look after them. We don't know how many plants, or what species we need, or how long we need them for yet, but I suspect that local lowland species from Peninsular Malaysia will be our first priority (mirabilis, gracilis, ampullaria, rafflesiana, albomarginata), along with some common horticultural hybrids. We're not after anything weird, rare or highland. I'll post another message on this topic in a few weeks' time - once the students are ready to start their projects.

The second part of the project will be run by me and what I would like to do is get a group of at least 3-4 growers together who have a lot of Nepenthes (i.e., nursery owners or the bigger collectors). Ideally, these people would live in KL and Penang, plus somewhere in east Malaysia, like Kuching or KK. I would like to work with this group to monitor every instance in which mosquitoes breed in their pitchers. Hopefully, this should be a very rare event and will not be time consuming for anyone, but it will enable us to find how often this happens and which mosquito species are involved. Chances are, virtually all of the mosquitoes will be harmless, but it would be nice to know for sure, wouldn't it? I'd like to get this part of the project up and running by late July, so if any of your are interested in participating, please let me know.

One thing I would suggest to anyone who is interested in this project: please don't try it at home! If you find Aedes larvae breeding around your home, don't put them in your pitchers, just destroy them. Messing with wild Aedes larvae could result in you getting dengue, which I'm told is not a lot of fun. There were over 50000 cases and 112 dengue-related deaths in the Klang Valley last year.

Thanks for hearing me out, and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Cheers,

Charles