Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 29th July 2008, 06:25 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

Default Tuberous Drosera in the Tropics

I think there is way to grow Tuberous sundews in a Tropical climate, base in part some experience I have with auriculata and peltata seedlings.
I should point out that many tuberous sundews have start producing little shoot as early as mid Feburary. Then the tuberous sundew wait for the two critical factors, moisture and soil temperature. A tuberous sundew will delay growth if soil moisture levels are not high enough. I found that above mention seedling grew far more rapidly when the day temperature reach around 30 C and then the night temp drop to 12 C or below.
Dormancy is control by a combination of the following factors: night temperature, lenght of day, moisture level and genetics come in play. For each species the cominbation differs. Futher examples of this is: I had a Drosera peltata (from South Australian stock) growing for several years in a pot of Nepenthes. It always when dormant in summer, another example is Drosera auriculata and other South Australian species at least, will grow for longer periods in a cool, lighty shady location before their genes set off dormancy.
The idea I had is to use some sort of fridge or cool room to slimutate the cold winter night and keeping the plant during day in a relative cool lightly shaded location. Part of the slimation would be the timing of the day the plant would need go into the fridge or coolroom about 5.30pm – 6.00pm and come out about 7.30am to 8.00am.
If anyone would interested in trying this experiment PM me and I will donate a few Pink Rainbow Drosera menzesii ssp menzesii tubers to try this.
Old 29th July 2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Tuberous Drosera in the Tropics

Looks like I am out as I only reach home after 8pm. Won't be able to put it in the fridge at 5.30pm - 6.00pm. I think it is a good idea to try this.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 31st July 2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

TS & Tarence, why don't the 2 of you take up this experiment... Or anyone else in living in this part of the world... ie. Tropics. It would be a valuable experience and all of us can learn from it. Who knows if it works, we would have gained valuable info and experience how to grow it here in the tropics.

I will not give up on my seeds and try what Khoas suggest above. But I think some of you should get the seeds from Khaos and try it out too.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 31st July 2008, 10:41 PM
Advisor

David, i *think* you can try growing D. peltata from seeds, i have it germinating and growing without the use of a fridge. my D. rupicola tuber has also just sprouted last week... but no idea if they will survive long term tho.
Old 1st August 2008, 12:57 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

David, I would love to try but what I worry is I might kill it by just not being able to rush home or forget to bring it to the cool room, will it die if that happen?
It's kind of shame if it die on me and may also disappoint everyone of you especially Khoas. That's why I didn't post to accept the kind offer.
Old 1st August 2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongrui View Post
David, i *think* you can try growing D. peltata from seeds, i have it germinating and growing without the use of a fridge. my D. rupicola tuber has also just sprouted last week... but no idea if they will survive long term tho.
Hi hongrui,

Can you give us a detailed description of what you did to get the D. peltata to germinate? The had some seeds of peltata too but they never germinated for me even after half-a-year. I would like to learn from you.

Old 2nd August 2008, 01:19 AM
Advisor

i just scattered them on a pot of peat and sand. and left them out to germinate on a water tray. however i keep them under shelter and thus they receive only bright shade. i did not stratify the seeds however, i believe the seeds i received are very fresh, so that may help with their germination rates.