Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 1st September 2008, 06:37 PM

Cool Are they start flowering?

Hi...wanna ask something....

I get theis 2 Drosera before...Are they D.burmanjii??

After few days, the middle of my two drosera start grow 1 brown stalk... Are this mean they start want have flower and seed?? or just nothing???

I feed my drosera with small red ant, that's ok??

Is this drosera nidiformis??
It look like no have enough dew..how to let them make more dew??

I feed my this drosera with small red ant, that's ok??
I see some people said that they feey them with worm juice??
I dun so undertsand...how to get it??
Or just buy the worm from aquarium shop and cut them in small pieces and feed them??

Hope somebody can give some instruction...
Thanks a lot!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8310301.JPG (134.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg P8260216.JPG (149.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg P9030330.JPG (151.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg P9020306.JPG (151.6 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by harlem2347; 2nd September 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 2nd September 2008, 06:03 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: Are they start flowering?

Hi Harlem. I am having trouble seeing your pics for some reason. Feeding yor plants ants is ok and wont hurt them. It generally isn't necesary but it certainly wont hurt them. As for how to get Drosera's to dew up, you just need to ensure the humidity is high. If humidity is low you wont have dew and as it increases the dew will appear. Here in Australia it is not uncommon for the tuberous drosera to have dew in the mornings when there is moisture in the air and when the air becomes drier in the afternoon so too do the plants. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:29 AM

Cool Re: Are they start flowering?

Hi! Strath….
Thanks !!
I also having trouble seeing pics now….I will go back upload my pics again when I go back..I now at office...
Actually I feel the ants is too small and unnecessary…
So that’s why I want ask that I can feed drosera by worm or any suggestion?
As I know, drosera need direct sun, how can make that place’s humidity high??
Thanks a lot!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:41 AM
Executive Member

hi harlem,

i used to feed them with ant or worm from aquarium shop before. But somehow, i found Drosera able to trap the insect by themselves kkif you keep them in outdoor.

The plant is quite redddish and it mean enough sun for this drosera. hmmm.. i dont think it is Burmanii. Is any new leaf come out ? if yes, do not worry about your plant, try to observe few week more.

In malaysia, do not worry humidity if you keep outdoor. Our environment not dry as 4 season country. For me, i will use water tray method to moist my plant. And they are happy with that

Ops.. forget to answer your main question... Yup.. for me .. you gonna get some seed from your plant soon! cheers~~~
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:02 AM

Hi! Edmund…
Thanks!

Actually I dun see my Drosera able to trap the insect by themselves although i keep them in outdoor, so that’s way I feeding them. But I feel the small red ants is too small. So that’s why I want go aquarium shop to buy the worm for them. U said that u bought the worm for ur drosera before…May I know that what types of worm u buy?? Is the small red worm which put in the water aquarium or the worm which brown colour and also can use to feed birds? Or other worms??

Actually my plant quite reddish before that. After their middle start grow 1 stalk ( I no sure), they become green. No have any new leaf come out..I will go back edit and upload the picture again.

This Droseras get dew, that’s ok! But another drosera no have enough dew (will show pics when edit)…I also use water tray method to moist that drosere..no know whats wrong with it…

Thanks a lot!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:31 AM
Executive Member

Hi ,

I read from the article, drosera still can survive if they didnt trap any insect . The plant will use sunlight as their source to keep alive. .... Of course, if you feed them, they will more do well. I think all CP keeper want their plant nicer and bigger. heheheheh i do as well

You can buy them those bread worm (brownish )but small type. they are reach of protein. So do not feed them much at one time. Your plant cant take it to digest them.

Flowering will always take a lot energy from the mother plant. Your plant will start getting weak if they boosting up flower.

i had experience before with my D.adelea where do not produce the dew. it take me one month to monitor what wrong with my plant as well. What i do is try observe my plant's leaf is growing well or not. Because, it might be the bug disturb your plant or eating the leaf. If this is not happened, i will repot the plant and change the media. do remember always monintor before you do it ya!

hope this is help~

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem2347 View Post
Hi! Edmund…
Thanks!

Actually I dun see my Drosera able to trap the insect by themselves although i keep them in outdoor, so that’s way I feeding them. But I feel the small red ants is too small. So that’s why I want go aquarium shop to buy the worm for them. U said that u bought the worm for ur drosera before…May I know that what types of worm u buy?? Is the small red worm which put in the water aquarium or the worm which brown colour and also can use to feed birds? Or other worms??

Actually my plant quite reddish before that. After their middle start grow 1 stalk ( I no sure), they become green. No have any new leaf come out..I will go back edit and upload the picture again.

This Droseras get dew, that’s ok! But another drosera no have enough dew (will show pics when edit)…I also use water tray method to moist that drosere..no know whats wrong with it…

Thanks a lot!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:22 PM

Hi, Edmund...
Thanks for ur kindly reply again…

Yup! I sure want my plants become nicer and bigger…so I will hear ur suggestion and go buy bread worm later….Although bread worm is in small type, I also feel they are too big for Drosera, so can I cut them in small pieces??

From the forum, I know that mother tree will die if we want the seed. So we better feeding them, give them enough sunshine and change the water tray. So that’s y I want feed them worm..hehe!!

Ok! Ok! I will monitor 1st! Thanks for sharing ur experience to me..I learn a lot!

Thanks ya!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:35 PM
Executive Member

Welcome dude... i learn from that stage as well. Normally what i will do is split the worm into two... sorry 18PG .... hahahaha... then only feed them.

er.... the mother plant still will survive but weak if they produce the flower/ seed.

do update your photo ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem2347 View Post
Hi, Edmund...
Thanks for ur kindly reply again…

Yup! I sure want my plants become nicer and bigger…so I will hear ur suggestion and go buy bread worm later….Although bread worm is in small type, I also feel they are too big for Drosera, so can I cut them in small pieces??

From the forum, I know that mother tree will die if we want the seed. So we better feeding them, give them enough sunshine and change the water tray. So that’s y I want feed them worm..hehe!!

Ok! Ok! I will monitor 1st! Thanks for sharing ur experience to me..I learn a lot!

Thanks ya!!