Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 31st October 2009, 01:18 AM

Default Dividing flowering Venus Fly Traps.

Hi

I am in North Queensland, Australia and it is getting towards late Spring. I just bought a clump of Venus Fly Traps in a pot and I plan to divide them. However, when I bought them they had tall stems and some flowers fully open on some of the plants. I read that the flowers can weaken the plants. Would it be all right to divide them now if I cut the flowers off or would it be best to wait for a few months and possibly do it next Spring? I could put them in the crisper in the fridge over winter and divide them then. However, I thought now could be a good time to divide them as the plants may grow bigger before the winter as they would not be clumped together. Would that be so?

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.
Old 1st November 2009, 10:55 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: Dividing flowering Venus Fly Traps.

Hi Richard, if you plan to divide them, you should do it now. Cut away the flower stalk to avoid plant being exhausted. You'll have a few pots of VFTs the next spring.
Don't throw away the flower stalk, cut it into 2 - 3 pieces and insert them in damp sphagnum moss, small plantlet will emerge from the stems. But you have to keep in humid.
Old 1st November 2009, 02:43 PM

Hi

Thanks for the answer. Actually I cut the flowers off last night. Howerver, I placed them in a bottle of water as I had an idea last night that if I did this the flowers may last long enought to produce seeds if I kept it them in water. I did not use ordinary water. I recently bought a water purifier that ionizers the water and I used that water. The flowers were fully open when I put them in the water and some had died off. There were also some buds. Do you think it is possible that they could last long enough to produce seeds or should I do as you suggest and try to strike cuttings?

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.
Old 1st November 2009, 07:33 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

I don't think the flower stalk will continue to produce seeds, it needs plenty of nutrient to do so or else it won't exhaust the plant, to death some times.
I'll rather do what I told you.
Old 1st November 2009, 07:50 PM

Hi

Do they have a high strike rate? Bear in mind that I will have the flower stems sitting in water for maybe 3 days or more until I get to planting them. If the have a high strike rate I may put one per pot. Otherwise, I may plant a few in one pot. Another way could be to strike them in water. I have read that Nepenthes cuttings can be struck this way. I am not sure if that could work for Venus Fly Traps?

Each stalk is about 6 inches long. I assume that you are suggesting that I can cut each one into 3 pieces and after potting, I should cover the pots in plastic or put in a terrarium and expose to bright light but not sunlight. Is that a good idea?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:59 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hole View Post
Hi
Do they have a high strike rate? Bear in mind that I will have the flower stems sitting in water for maybe 3 days or more until I get to planting them. If the have a high strike rate I may put one per pot. Otherwise, I may plant a few in one pot. Another way could be to strike them in water. I have read that Nepenthes cuttings can be struck this way. I am not sure if that could work for Venus Fly Traps?
I suggest you root them all in a pot, they could take quite some time to root and grow, by the time they are big enough to repot, that's just the right time because the growing media starts to decompose.
Quote:
Each stalk is about 6 inches long. I assume that you are suggesting that I can cut each one into 3 pieces and after potting, I should cover the pots in plastic or put in a terrarium and expose to bright light but not sunlight. Is that a good idea?
Yes, that's a good idea.