Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 6th May 2009, 11:20 AM

Default My enchinotsoma not pitchering

Hi all.. I got this N mirabilis var enchinotsoma awhile back and so far the leaves are still green quite a fast grower but 1 problem 1 MAJOR problem noooo pitchers at all.....The tendrills stay 1cm long at all times...The leaves are getting bigger but no pitchers somehow...I suspect its humidity but since its in a tropical country i doubt it will affect that much...I bought it as a M sized plant and it arrvide bare rooted and so i potted it up in LFS and perlite..Here are some pics...

The whole plant

A leaf tip where i told u bout the tendrill

Another leaf

Please help out thanks

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 6th May 2009, 11:25 AM

Default Re: My enchinotsoma not pitchering

Like I said in the other forum it might be because of not enough light. How bright is the balcony?
Old 6th May 2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Alcran...I doubt its not enough light since my other neps seems to be fine with the same amount of light....Its bright light this time of the year no direct sunlight..As you can see my raff and trucata is also pitchering fine...Though my truncata seems to be sensitive and easily affected by rust spots...I reduce watering and i shall see how it goes..

Ken

Old 6th May 2009, 12:43 PM

This variety of mirabilis is very sensitive to the temperature and humiduty. I found that they actually prefer cooler temp. Mine only produces pitcher in raining season.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:51 PM

Hi Law...Yeah i also heard that they like cooler temps...I wonder if i should grow them together with my higland intermediate neps which i once awhile at night spray frozen water at them and also water them sometimes with chilled water...So far my lady pauline likes it and only pitchers when i do that frequently...

Ken

Old 6th May 2009, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Ken,

Alcran is correct when he said it needs more sunlight. My echinostoma gets direct evening sunlight from about 3pm onwards. Before 3pm it gets very bright indirect sunlight. It does not pitcher for me when I grew it in a more shaded condition with indirect sunlight for most of the day. After it was shifted to the new area with direct sunlight, it pitchers for me and started growing. This form is very particular about its growing conditions eventhough it is a mirabilis.

Your rafflesiana can acclimatise to lower light levels and in the wild sometimes they grow is dappled or quite shaded areas similar to ampullaria. I have a rafflsiana grown indoors before and it receives only bright indirect light from the window for a couple of months in the year. However it still pitchers for me and the pitchers have good colouration.

However, your truncata will show signs of decline in the next few months if is still does not get direct sunlight. You'll have lots of problems with you truncata like the rust spot you've mentioned. News leaves or pitchers will be smaller or stop growing half way. It would be a good idea to reduce water for your truncata as you've mentioned. I noticed even in growing season, my truncata do not like to be too wet and it prefers a more airy media. This is all the more important now as your truncata is not getting sunlight.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb