Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 6th May 2009, 10:31 AM

Default D. Aliciae

I'm not only new to the forums, I'm rather new to sundews.

I've been keeping Venus Flytraps and a few different Sarracenias for awhile with a fair amount of success so I figured I'd try my luck at these gorgeous little drosera species.

I recently bought a D. Aliciae about 3 days ago and for the last 3 days I've had him on a table about 2 feet from my window (I was worried about a draft). I potted him into a 4 inch pot from the little 3.5 I bought him in. He's in a media of peat moss and perlite (60:40). He sits in a little try of about an inch of water with grvael underneath to elevate him abit so as he's not sitting in direct water so as his roots won't rot. He also has a homemade "humidity chamber" made of a 2 litre soda bottle with the top and bottom cut off so as there is air circulation and so he can still catch food.

I noticed this morning he wasn't "dew-y" looking anymore so I took a trip to a local store and picked up a full spectrum terrarium plant grow light which I have place about 5 inches from him.

I'm terribly worried as it's an absolutely gorgeous plant. He still has all of his color and looks fine aside from his lack of dew. He has a lovely long flower stalk growing out the top of the humidity chamber that looks as if it may bloom any day now.

I have also noticed he hasn't eatten anything yet so I picked up a small fruit fly culture to feed to him in the next few days if he can't get "dew-y" again and catch his own food.

Anyone with any experience with the species with any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm not going to lie; I'm nervous as a cat right now.

Thank you SO much in advance for any information and help.

Sincerely,
Manda
Old 6th May 2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: D. Aliciae

From the way you describe the condition of your plant, I really feel for you and your plant. Can you can post a picture of the plant and how it is place at the window? That would really help members see what the problem is.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 6th May 2009, 05:26 PM

My 'aliciae'(I think its an admirabilis) got a little smaller in size and no dew for a few days after flowering. After about 1 week than the dew start appering. Don't know if flowering affects it.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:31 PM

I cut off my spathulata flower stalk when I saw one coming out (was wondering if this was the case - plants expend their energy towards forming the flowers so the dew is to be held off until flower dvelopment is over and plant resumes normal growth). Come to think of it, my spathulata hasn't been really dewy as of late too...

Alvin's Green Blog
http://greengates.wordpress.com/
Old 7th May 2009, 06:26 AM

The moment I get home tonight I will most certainly take some pictures and post them.

As mentioned, it actually sits on a shelf in a rather "open" 4 inch pot under a full spectrum plant light, as opposed to on a windowsill. I know I should be using a full ballast and better lights but at the exact moment; it was all I had on hand. I plan on getting proper lighting this weekend for him.

I sincerely hope he is just getting acclimated and will perk back up after his flowers bloom and he settles in. I know for a fact he's definately moist enough as his tray has only emptied once since I bought him and I promptly refilled it and his soil media feels quite moist; so deductive thinking leads me to believe it must be the lighting conditions and acclimation.

Thanks for the help guys; I appreciate it immensely! <3
Old 7th May 2009, 07:29 AM

Combine the light and windowsill. It will give you much more light than either alone. Do you know what kelvin or wattage the bulb is. A good kelvin range is 4000-5000. Wattage is less direct but in new bulbs it can be around 30-40. That plant bulb is a fluorecent bulb, right? Incanscendant bulbs are useless as far as plants are concerned. Don't worry about drafts, anything above 40 degrees is not fatal. BC is where, Canada?
Old 7th May 2009, 08:18 AM

BC is indeed in Canada.

And the "windowsill" wasn't really a "windowsill" ; it's a full size sliding glass door that gets full sun virtually all day. I had them sitting on a little table about 24 inches from said glass door.

And yes, it is a fluorescent light and it is only a 13 watt (I think...).

As fore mentioned; it was all very short nortice as I panicked when I noticed the lack of dew and bought whatever I could afford 2 days before pay day that might due the trick.

I will be going this weekend (3 days from now over in my neck of the woods) to by a proper ballast and better lighting.

In regards to lighting, I also meant to ask if I am to be trying to find T5 or higher? What's best for them?
Old 7th May 2009, 08:34 AM

I use T8 bulbs without sunlight. It works fine. However that seems a bit expensive for just one plant. How much do fixtures and ballasts cost in Canada? What length are you going to buy?
Old 9th May 2009, 06:23 PM

What about those for reptiles?The Exoterra brand like:sun glow,moon glow or something like that.They have different wattage.Funkychips should know it.(Did you buy any at Sat?)
Old 11th May 2009, 07:16 PM

Hi Marvin,
Those lights are UVA lights, which to some degree are able to provide some wavelengths from the spectrum to plants for growth. Unfortunately they come in incandescent bulb form, as they are designed for reptile basking use and therefore only focused on one spot instead of the entire surroundings. Furthermore they become hot after a short while, so it's not really practical to use those lights for plant growing. Lights like power compact flourescent tubes are ideal choices for shelf use, which is something I have been planning to do in order for me to keep my sundews indoors (the garden is baking like a turkey oven). Hope this helps!

And no, I didn't get anything there since I'm not using any basking lights for my lizard. :D

Alvin.

Alvin's Green Blog
http://greengates.wordpress.com/