Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 18th August 2010, 06:30 AM
Advisor

Default Nepenthes thorelii paper

Hello,
Here is one of my last papers. It is an account on N. thorelii . It summarizes all our current knowledge on this enigmatic species. It has been published in the appendix of Stewart McPherson's last book.
http://www.carnivorousplants.it/thorelii.history.pdf
Cheers,
François.
Old 18th August 2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Nepenthes thorelii paper

Thanks François for your contibutions... but I really hope this won't be your "last" ever paper on Nepenthes... Good work !!
Old 18th August 2010, 04:48 PM

Cool Re: Nepenthes thorelii paper

Does the phrase "not hipped" refer to having no "shoulders"? I just wonder

Old 18th August 2010, 09:14 PM

Yes, that part of the pitcher is called hip, and it seems that while some species have a stable hip in the middle or lower part of the pitcher, some others have a hip that can be in the middle or along the whole upper part and even absent, that giving a rounder shape to the pitcher.
A curious thing that I would like to understand more, is that "mirror" species like andamana-suratensis, kerrii-kongkandana, mirabilis-var.globosa and probably others seem to split one from the other by using that feature, I don't know why.
Plants of var. globosa have been classified in grades depending on where the hip is, but that's a horticultural thing, as "the upper goes the hip and the better the pitcher looks" It has nothing to do with taxonomy, as in the wild you can find var. globosa plants with hip in all positions, randomly going from the middle to absent.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:24 PM

Smile Re: Nepenthes thorelii paper

It's funny that one of my nepenthes named as "thorelii" has globose shape like the one in the picture (in the pdf), except that my plant is slightly hipped
The whole plant

The pitcher
Old 18th August 2010, 11:39 PM

Hi Tan, nice plant Well, N. kampotiana also has round pitchers and it grows in southern Vietnam. It's much more common in cultivation and of course it's sold as "thorelii". But it's glabrous, while N. thorelii is hairy. At the bottom of this page you can find a table to distinguish all the Indochinese species: http://www.carnivorousplants.it/desc.holdenii.pdf
If your plant is hairy, congratulations, it's probably one of the poached plants that has been put for sale in your Country. Actually, even if it's kampotiana, I can see a massive rootstock at the base of your plant, and that makes me think that it has been poached from the wild anyway...