Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 6th October 2008, 01:38 PM

Default Rat threat?

Does anyone have problem with rats stealing pitchers?Quite some of my pitchers been stolen.Any idea why rats want them and how to make them go away?

Im currently using sulfer and seem to not working.Below is the one example of the pitcher got biten and seperated from the plant.I found it hidden in the nearby pots.

Old 6th October 2008, 08:22 PM
malowie

Default Re: Rat threat?

i dont think sulphur powder works well on rats but i know sulphur powder works awesome for snakes.

probably it could be a rat or a shrew that bit off the lovely pitcher.. use rat poison or rear a cat haha..
Old 6th October 2008, 08:30 PM

Argh its sad to see that pitcher beeing bitten off by the rat so sad.Anyway i would say rear a cat hahaha.Soooo nice the rafflesiana pitcher

Ken
Old 7th October 2008, 10:03 AM

Bro..sulfer acctually works for rat and other pests.I guess the rain washed some of the sulfer border i made and the rat went in.

I cant use rat poison or have a cat because i have a dog at home.These are tiny jungle rats from the jungle in front of my house.I dont think a cat can chase them.Even my super speed dalmation dog cannot keep up with these rat's speed.These rats can jump well too.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:16 AM

Phew luckily i don't live on a terrace or double story house so i don't get pesty pest like RATS!!!!!!....The worst also is just some buggy attacks to my neps which cause probally more damage to my plants than your rats.Its hard to get rid of them.

Wow alienfx those rats must be really really fast

Ken
Old 7th October 2008, 11:32 AM

Rear a Truncata or some other big pitcher Nepenthes, so that the plants will have revenge!

I am wondering if they are cutting it because they can't get into the pitcher, so cut it, and bring the pitcher to a hiding place and eat what is inside. So maybe a bigger pitcher will make them go in and get caught.

We don't really use rat poison often, what we use are those mouse traps that look like cages, these traps the mice or rats and you can either let them go or drown them.

Next time if you plan on buying a dog, get a small terrier one like a Jack Russel Terrier, but then they are so hyper active that they are a handful sometimes, they might also tinker around with your CPs too. Now I wonder if those utrasonic or whatever anti pest device will actually work, maybe you should try those? They are electronic devices that you plug in and they are said to emit a noise that rats don't like.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 7th October 2008, 02:15 PM

Oh! Very sad to hear about it..I also meet the same problem with u before. But is my very small young nep....My small pitchers lost before..That time I think is my little dog come out and play it. But my this little dog never bite the things before...After that, my mum found that the muderer is the birds...