Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 3rd July 2008, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Default ameliepoulain: Athene's Drosera ****es (Read 261 times)

ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Athene's Drosera ****es
« Thread Started on 2 Nov, 2007, 14:31 »D. adelae ****es from roots, I swear I had nothing to do to induce them to propogate this way

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Re: Athene's Drosera ****es
« Reply #1 on 2 Nov, 2007, 14:32 »then there was the two leaves that I tried to propogate using the water & sphagnum swimming in water methods. Again, just when I was ready to throw them out, they produces plantlets.

In the beginning just the one using the water method produced plantlets

so I transfered them onto some pulverized sphagnums

later, the bottom half of the leaf (I cut each leaf into 2 to fit the container!) that I tried using the sphag. in water method too started to have plantlets.

Most recent photo :

the middle leaf is the one from the sphag. in water so you'd notice later growth. The big plantlet at it's right end is actually a plantlet that I tried to transplant but initially got lost between the sphag. but decided to make a comeback

Now I'm in a dillema, do I tranplant or not? They look so good & happy there... all in their dewy glory...
Athene's Wishlist
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 2 Nov, 2007, 14:42 »D. intermedia (Great Swamp) adventure

Sowed on the Merdeka day

1st germination noticed on the 15/10/2007

Suddenly two weeks later 5 more plantlets appeared

can you spot them?
« Last Edit: 2 Nov, 2007, 21:24 by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 2 Nov, 2007, 14:46 »btw, did I mentioned why I almost threw out all the stuffs I sowed?

Some 'smart-aleck who shall remain nameless' moved the tray to under the pergola and it rained! Since I poked holes at the bottom of the 'pots' water could get in through the bottom!So can you imagine how the seeds was floating in the 'pots'?

Thank god I was less impulsive than I usually am!
Athene's Wishlist
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 2 Nov, 2007, 14:46 »i would just transplant them en masse`( use a flat device to lift the plantlets plus the moss ) to a bigger pot. or each leaf cutting planlets to their own pots....or if you don`t want to risk any disturbance, just let them be. it`ll be cramped tho. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 2 Nov, 2007, 21:15 »Athene, the plantlets with 7 or more leaves can be removed as they would have roots of their own. For "minced" media like yours, it will be easy and not hurt the plant if you use fine tweezers to pull them out. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #6 on 2 Nov, 2007, 23:34 »Athene, your adelae ****es are so cute and healthy. Your pictures make my feet weak already. I love them all. I could never get adelae to grow well for me, let alone grow plantlets from leaf. However, lately there's a glimmer of hope because of the cooler weather.

(off topic: Hey, your new camera didn't turn out that bad. Pictures are very clear and you can zoom in so near. Ok laaa, nice laa )

I can't help it, can I ask permission to save your pictures? It's just for my own pleasure.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov, 2007, 23:37 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 2 Nov, 2007, 23:53 »
Quote: Athene, your adelae ****es are so cute and healthy. Your pictures make my feet weak already. I love them all. I could never get adelae to grow well for me, let alone grow plantlets from leaf. However, lately there's a glimmer of hope because of the cooler weather.

(off topic: Hey, your new camera didn't turn out that bad. Pictures are very clear and you can zoom in so near. Ok laaa, nice laa )

I can't help it, can I ask permission to save your pictures? It's just for my own pleasure.

1 picture 20 cents... hehhehe...
Athene's Wishlist
David
Administrator

« Reply #8 on 3 Nov, 2007, 0:17 »

Ok, I pay.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

« Reply #9 on 3 Nov, 2007, 1:06 »hmmmm about your d. intermedia plantlets, mine's also sproutinglike crazy, it arrived sumtime before Raya, it didn't flower, but there are plantlets everywhere.

The story is that I trimmed the leaves that the plant arrived with and got lazy and left them in the pot with the plant. Now I got like 5-6 planlets growing in the pot and in other pots as well.

More coming tho, as I'm propagating them with the leaf-cutting-in-water method.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on 4 Nov, 2007, 9:56 »just found the biggest of the intermedia plantlets hidden beneath the sphag. moss!!!

so i have 7 ****es now.
Athene's Wishlist
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 10 Dec, 2007, 0:15 »update :

all the adalae ****es from the leaves cutting DIED! It happened during my mid-Nov trip. When I got home, what's left was just skeletal remains of them and it's all moldy!

some of the other plantlets succumbed to the 'outrageous-heatwave-right-smack-in-rainy-season', others has produced more plantlets.

i've got quite a lot of adalae ****es from the roots, so there you are, you lose some you gain some. what's more, I actually do prefer the plantlets from the roots, they are more robust & grows very fast. and I don't need to acclimatize them from the nursery pots!
Athene's Wishlist
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on 10 Dec, 2007, 8:33 »my sympathies Athene....the challenge now is to get the ****es to grow up, mature & then flower. Heheh, mine has never flowered. The flowers are among the most gorgeous in the drosera species. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged