Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 19th July 2010, 09:06 PM

Default Questions about Tropical Pitcher Plant

I'm new here. I've been growing carnivorous plants off and on since about the Nixon administration, with various success. Well, they're all dead now anyway except two. I have a little Venus flytrap I picked up at Walmart 2 days ago. Its still alive so far. The other is a very large Nepenthes Miranda I bought about a year ago when I lived in San Antonio Texas. It had traps the size of budweiser bottles. When I was standing in the cash register line the lady behind me just glanced at it and shrieked. When I took it home it cleared out a big nest of hornets all by itself. It was one helluva plant.
I moved to Augusta Georgia since, which seems drier. The plant continues glumly to make leaves, but no pitchers. And the leaves get old pretty quickly. Its alive but has lost its edge, much like its owner.
So - I presently have the plant in a hanging basket with coconut fiber matting, with a layer of gravel and a layer of the original potting peat and a layer of epiphytic orchid mix and more of the original potting peat. It seems okay, but still not perky. It just looks like a plant with big leaves. It doesn't look like a killer anymore. Am I doing ANY of this right?
Can anyone advise me how to get some pizazz back into this King Kong of a plant, and how to encourage it to make pitchers again?

Old 19th July 2010, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Questions about Tropical Pitcher Plant

i have a miranda too...it is a really huge pither plant....
the media i use to this plant is 100%(someone advise me to add some coco peat to make it more ventilation)
i had give it 50% sunlight all days long......and mine produce 9 inch height pithcher
________
Big breasts

Last edited by pwarrior; 25th April 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:38 AM

Sounds like a humidity problem. You'll have to increase the humidity level around the plant somehow, the higher the better, preferably above 80%. At the same time, conditions have to be relatively bright.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:40 AM

A question 4 u, how long has u moved to Augusta Georgia? In my opinion, maybe ur miranda is still in shock state.....due to the drier climate in Augusta. My advice 4 u is just to care ur miranda as u usually would and try to maintain a high humidity level. Plus, find a spot that u think is the best location that meet ur miranda need at ur new place and leave it there until it's fully recover from stress (ie,aclimatize)...u'll know it went ur miranda start to produce pitcher again. Just be patient because it will take time....