Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Tilandsias and Bromeliads

Tilandsias and Bromeliads Everything about Air Plants and Broms

Old 27th May 2009, 01:32 PM

Default ants

Hi all,
I noticed that there are many ants walking in and out of my tilly. I vaguely remember someone related ants in tilly to rot.
But by the look of my tilly, i saw new roots growing. Does not look like rotting.

Andy, Alvin,
Help...
Old 27th May 2009, 04:45 PM

Default Re: ants

What?Ant nesting in your till?
Old 27th May 2009, 09:19 PM

Dont know if they have nested in my tilly but i think I will bring it down tomorrow and soak them in water... can do or no can do?
Old 27th May 2009, 09:48 PM

You can soak them in water but dry it quickly afterwards or it'll rot.
Old 28th May 2009, 12:10 AM
Advisor

Hi yc,

You've asked a tricky question here. There are some literature saying with presence of ants do benefitted to the plants especially spp like bulbosa, disticha or even seleriana. The plants actually benefitted form nutrients breakdown from decay matters which was part of the nest. Also the ants provide some level of protection against predators (herbivor) from being eaten. That was in their natural enviroment where they have pronounced dry/wet season.

Firstly, we're not familiar with what spp of ants that benefitted the plant. Most of our domestic ants are considered as pest. You ask any orchid grower and they will tell you ants are not good. Mostly carry tiny pests like aphids, mealy bugs, trips or scale inscests around. Some even 'culture' these pest as like we human do 'farming'. Especially like aphids or mealy bugs do secrete sweet liquid in return to the ants for them to feed their larvae. If your plants are infected by these insects, most probably they will be 'sucked' dry if left unattended.

As for nutrient contribution, well, we all fertilise our plants regulary. It doesn't make any difference with those 'extra contribution' from ant nest.

I wouldn't say they will cause rotting unless your plant is heavily infested by a large colony and was placed in poor ventilated area. You can wash them away or immerse them in a pail of water like what Marvin suggested. My best way is by using H20 based aerosol spray. Fast easy and doesn't harm the plant too.
Old 28th May 2009, 10:09 AM

Guys,
Thanks much for your valuable input. I will observe it for another 1 or 2 days.
This evening, I will go check which sp of my tilly got ants...