Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 18th July 2008, 05:39 PM

Talking Newest Additions To The Family

Heres a few quick pics of the newest additions to our ever growing VFT collection, we noticed that we also have young ones growing in each pot with the larger VFTs. Thats a real bouns..

Long Red Fingers

Sawtooth

Dingley Giant Red Clone

I also have a large Sawtooth X Big Mouth comming in within the next few days and will post pics of that one to..

ENJOY!!!
Old 18th July 2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Newest Additions To The Family

Hey the Long Red Fingers if kinda unique and beautiful. I am not really into vfts but this is unique. Don mind having a couple of that in my collection. It's a really odd one... kinda cute! The red colour is also only on half of the traps.
Old 18th July 2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Long Red Fingers is nice... Dont know why, feel "scary" when seeing it...
Old 18th July 2008, 06:41 PM

OMG!!!!! VFT VFT VFTs!!! I've got to calm down. ......Nice ..Very very nice VFTs!! First time I saw Long Red Fingers. So so so unique!!! Brilliant red colour and pale yellowish green makes the red stand out. Looks like a fused tooth in red. So beautiful. So lucky to have one. I have an eerie feeling when I look at it because of the shape and colouration. Really long red fingers. Funny name. I'm panicking again....!!!! Help me!! VFTs VFTs.!! I love the Sawtooth and Dingley Giant Red Clone too!!!! I love ALL Kinds of VFTs!! I'm in love with the LRF(Long Red Fingers). A mixture of scaryness and beauty. Help!!! I'm drooling. I type too much!!!! I love your VFTs very much. Thanks for those photos. I'm still drooling.
Old 18th July 2008, 06:44 PM

Now I know what makes it so eerie. The red colour and the green colour don't match at all. This makes it look like ther's blood in the mouth. And the shape makes it looks like it got fangs! Help!! A man eating Plant!!Just joking!
Old 20th July 2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

You're right Aaron, that does make it look like it has just killed something and ate it with all the blood around its mouth.

Baracuda 47, Is it true that this cultivar needs a difference in night and day time temperatures to have that reddish colouration?
Old 21st July 2008, 06:52 PM
Senior Advisor

Simply spectacular 'Cuda! I won't repeat what everybody else has already said...but I'd like to!
Old 24th July 2008, 08:04 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Couldn't access to internet since last Thursday due to some problems, finally it's fixed.
Back to the topic. Wow, your long red fingers is fantastic, Cuda. Mine doesn't show that kind of red colour band on the trap/teeth.
I was told by a friend from overseas that the red colour appearance is caused by the difference in the day and night temperature. There must be at least 10°C difference to make the intense colour appearence. I don't know how true is this but that sounds like it explained why the VFT colour is not as intense in summer at your place.
Maybe we should see your experiment on your new lighting, it is much appreciated if, perhaps you could also help us to record down the temperature (day and night) in your place for comparison, is it summer now?
Old 25th July 2008, 08:58 AM

TS, it is summer right now but we have been having some whacky weather all season, some nights have been real chilly low 50's and tons rain im starting to get real sick of it we havent had much of a nice summer. Anyways yup theres a diffrence between summer trap color and growth than there is in spring and fall trap color and growth. Durring spring and fall the traps are much closer to the ground and the color is much more deeper, durring summer months the traps grow on longer taller leafs and are less intense in color, though dont get me wrong there are VFTs that produce real deep color even in summer months. Daytime and nightime temps durring spring and fall are much cooler and the photo period diffrent than durring the summer months.

Recording day and night temps durring fall and spring wont be a prob at all and i will gladly help with that, the VFTs are under the new lighting they do seem to slightly getting more intense in trap color but its only been few days i wont know for sure for atleast 2 to 3 more weeks. But i will keep everyone updated on this test... I still have not herd back as to persay about the bulbs this one grower is using, TOP SECRET MAYBE Who knows but im gona keep askin till they give me a answer... I WANT THOSE BULBS!!!!