Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 2nd January 2009, 09:13 PM

Default My Vft

Hi everyone,
I'd bought my vft few weeks ago.. i mean i ask ken to buy it lolx.. Well, it suppose to be a typical vft which has reddish colour inside the trap.. but after few weeks, those reddish traps dried off.. and those new born traps are all green! lolx why? Anyway i place it under direct sunlight since i bought it..
2nd thing is.. Hmm.. For vfts, we need to put a plate under the pot with some water rite?? LoL.. Anyway will it bcome a breading ground for mosquitos? lol cuz thre more n more aedes in this area lol.. sometimes those 'bandaraya' will check ard houses and giv us 'saman' also haha..

Some replies please?

-Newbie.
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:23 PM

Default Re: My Vft

Hmm.........yeah, you should put the VFT on a water tray. Basically a tray filled with water and the VFT sitting like a duck in it. This is to keep it constantly wet, unless you want to water it everyday.

Don't worry, mosquitoes don't breed very fast in water trays. Just let the water dry out before adding again. Or you can clean the tray, altough this is a tedious job.

Is your VFT making traps that stand upright or the traps are lying down by the side?

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:09 PM

Hi Py

Your VFT fine la should be post picture better....Anyways if its still growing and only a few traps dying then its okay natural .

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:01 PM

Sometimes my water trays have mosquitoes larva too. But I pour just them away.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardyeeks View Post
Hmm.........yeah, you should put the VFT on a water tray. Basically a tray filled with water and the VFT sitting like a duck in it. This is to keep it constantly wet, unless you want to water it everyday.

Don't worry, mosquitoes don't breed very fast in water trays. Just let the water dry out before adding again. Or you can clean the tray, although this is a tedious job.

Is your VFT making traps that stand upright or the traps are lying down by the side?

Cheers
Hi Edward,
I'm sure the water in the tray is 'non-lively' so its definitely gonna have lavas in it.. 2ndly will the plant absorb the water and the lavas gone up lolx?? .. Erm IF I'm just saying IIF.: will the VFT die IF i remove the water?:.. Haha just asking for curiousy, dont worry im not gonna take it off

My VFT is making traps that lying down from the middle.. When the 1st day i bought it its fresh reddish.. after feww weeks they turn all green lol.. I want the colouring =/

P/S : soorrryy i dint put pics cuz umm.. kinda newbie still hahaha
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
Hi Py

Your VFT fine la should be post picture better....Anyways if its still growing and only a few traps dying then its okay natural .

Ken

Hello ken,
I know its fine I'm saying about the colors. But Tnx anyway

Hi Aaron,
Hehe Okay I'll vanish them lol.. Thank you.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:33 AM
Administrator

hi there,

You can try Simon method to avoid mosquito laying egg in yours water tray.

You said you put yours VFT under direct sunlight, how long it is? Beside that, difference temperature at night and day may causing lose of the color too... There is some discussion on VFT color at the below link
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1444

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:18 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Appearence of VFTs vary with temperature and sunlight. The colour especially, changes under different growing conditions. For instance, a green leaves with red inner trap VFT. It looked as it is when it is grown in Cameron Highland, but the temperature difference (in day and night) in the lowland just couldn't maintain it's inner trap colour. (this is exactly what xMagicsZ had experienced)
This explained why our red vft we bought last time from Sungai Buloh, when the time we obtained it was burgundy red, but it slowly transformed to greenish maroon no matter how much sun is given. It never return to it's original colour since then.
I have a few VFTs which have red inner trap, every single trap it grows beared the red colour in the trap, others just don't show the red colouration under same condition.
I think it is very much depends on what VFT form we have, some get red easily but others don't.
How many hours did you place your VFT under direct sun? To get the best colour, you may probably need 8 hours.
If you are using water tray system, just allow a maximum of 1 cm of water in the tray and let the water to dry out before you water again. I think mosquito larvas will have no chances of surviving. When you add water, do it slowly from the top but don't splash on the trap so that you won't trigger the trap to drain it's energy unnecessarily. Pour away the water in the tray every week or two to get rid of any minerals accumulated in the tray. Hope this help and explained what you're asking. Happy growing!
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:56 AM

Mosquito larvaes can be rid by cleaning the tray. Although it is a slow and tedious method. I realise that blue trays are the one that are usually infested with mosquito larvae the fastest. This is because, most mosquitoes are attracted to blue colour.

PY, the most important thing is that never let the media dry out completely. Always keep it wet. The water tray method is to keep the media wet while saving you time from constantly watering the plant. But don't overwater the plant! You will kill it by root rot, thats what I did to my first VFT.

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:21 AM

Not sure about the cameron highland temp but the plant was from Fauzi so i'm not sure of where the source is from.

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me