Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Aldrovanda vesiculosa

Aldrovanda vesiculosa Everything about the Water Wheel Plant

Old 21st February 2009, 01:10 AM
Advisor

Default Re: Aldro propagation

One node cuttings will work on Aldrovanda too! Just cut the tip off, right after the last axial of opened traps, and cut the rest into one or two axial pieces, and the healthy ones will grow a new bud.

Here are some pic's from previous years of one pond; notice that the water depth is less than 6 inches deep, generally only about 4 inches deep, if that! Notice, there isn't a bit of algae on ANY of them!

- Rich

Last edited by rsivertsen; 21st February 2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 26th February 2009, 09:46 PM

This is my Aldro pond! Finally was able to upload photos.

There are some Utricularia Vulgaris and U. Gibba (?) in there, the Gibba I am not 100% sure yet if it is Gibba.
Old 28th February 2009, 10:42 PM

Aldrovanda never cease to amaze me..........too bad I stay in a condominium. Did you grow your not-confirmed gibba there or it grew by itself, Arvin? Your ponds are still massive and great, Rich!

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:10 AM

Edward, Actually if you have a place where your pond can get a lot of sunlight you should be able to keep aldros in a condo, heck artificial light should also help. If you are a big fan, why not get say a 50 gallon aquarium and then put some monocotes and just fill the tank half full of water then put enough light, etc. etc.

I really should take a photo fo the gibba? so that I can get it IDed by the members, the gibba is actually probably the first or second CP that my brother and I got, they were from our planted tank days. Not sure where these are from but I know that there is a lake 3 hours south which has them and we got some from there before. They do not seem to flower though so not too sure if the are gibba. Anways will try to take photos and send for ID.

The Gibba(?) is that mat at 1 oclock of the pond.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:57 PM

Actually, you don't need a complicated setup or a large pond to grow Aldrovanda. I didn't initially believe it myself and tried a few dfferent setups(some complicated, some relatively large, some both) with only moderate success. Now I've got Aldrovanda which isn't only growing, but its actually winning its battle with algae in an originally algae infested container. Its just the Aldrovanda, the algae, water and that's it! All in a couple of plastic "da-pao" containers!

Edward, I'd say as long as you can find a nice sunny spot that's as large as a "da-pao" container, you're good to go!
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:54 AM

Hi Infurita may we know or can you post what is a "Da Pao" container?

One thing though, my pond is actually relatively free of algae, I prefer this than having it infested by Algae because at least I can see and enjoy my Aldros My pond unfortunately is infested by Hydra, that is why I can't really keep a healthy population of moina/daphnia. My pond is technically not complicated, the only thing that I really do is to inject CO2 every other day, but that is I think not even necessary, it just gives me something to do. Water my terrestrials then inject CO2 then go to work hahahaha!

TTFN
Arvin
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin555 View Post
Hi Infurita may we know or can you post what is a "Da Pao" container?

One thing though, my pond is actually relatively free of algae, I prefer this than having it infested by Algae because at least I can see and enjoy my Aldros My pond unfortunately is infested by Hydra, that is why I can't really keep a healthy population of moina/daphnia. My pond is technically not complicated, the only thing that I really do is to inject CO2 every other day, but that is I think not even necessary, it just gives me something to do. Water my terrestrials then inject CO2 then go to work hahahaha!

TTFN
Arvin
Oh, a "da pao" container is one of those small plastic containers they pack food into for you at the hawker centre when you want take away :P

You've got hydra? man, I got to get me some of that...tho keeping them alive..., that's going to be a tricky one...
Old 4th March 2009, 01:32 AM

Eh? You like them? They are considered Pests by me because they catch daphnia and also even small fry. Also they are really difficult for me to get rid of without totally drying up the tub, which I don't want because the Aldros are doing nicely and don't want to disturb them. Plus though they are canrivorous they are not plants and I just want to get rid of them.

As for Da Pao containers, I feel that they might be too small, though you have proved that they can work for you.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 12th March 2009, 11:43 PM

I would like to report that I was sucessful in doing a 3 node/axial cutting, and it has now sprouted a new growth point. Again confirming what Rich said that as long as you give them ideal conditions they will do very well. I will observe the 3 node cutting some more because for some reason the new growth point is at the bottom axial, that might die off soon, wondering what will happen then. Becoming very sunny and hot here now and looks like the aldros are enjoying it. Also observing more and more very small snails getting caught and eaten by the Aldros!

TTFN
Arvin
Old 13th March 2009, 12:14 AM
Advisor

Arvin, I'm so glad to hear that you have small snails living with your Aldrovanda! They serve a multi-purpose function and are essential for a healthy population of these plants. They actively graze on the algae that attempt to anchor onto the Aldrovanda, and also are vital in pulling out the spent prey in the older traps (which otherwise would get loaded with filamentous algae), as well as providing an occasional meal for the plants, and also help contribute to the CO2 within close proximity to the strands. Perhaps you have some copepods as well, along with other small crustacians along with live tubiflex worms and Daphnia. If you look at a healthy strand of Aldrovanda under a disecting microscope, you will notce that it's a floating zoo, full of life crawling all over the leaves, and up and down the strands, from small insect larvea, (including mosquito, and damsel fly) to snails, and crustacians, and several small worms.

Good job! and Well done! - Rich