Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 26th June 2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default D. falconeri

Got my first D. falconeri from Delwin recently. Thanks Delwin. He passed it to Lim for me a couple of weeks back. Lim nurse it back to health for me before mailing it to me from Penang. Was worried that it may not survive from all the traveling in the mail. When I received the envelope, the container cap where the plant was placed in was open and the plant was outside the container in the envelope. It was smashed and dry. The postman must have tried to squeeze the envelope to find out what was inside... Sheesh...!

Anyway, it has since produced dews on its leaves for me. Hope other members would share pictures of their D. falconeri with me. This is one of my dream plant and I've been searching for it for such a long time.

Name:  IMG_4656.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  75.4 KB

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 26th June 2009, 02:33 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: D. falconeri

Your plant looks great David. I think these plants are tougher than we give them credit for. I recently got my first falconeri. When it arrived in the mail it had very little media around it and looked dried and shriveled. I put it into some media and placed a bag over the top hoping for the best and it is now going along quite well. It is slightly smaller than yours but growing well. I will take a picture to share later.
Old 26th June 2009, 03:04 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

When you look at the plant leaf, it does push the idea that Dionaea evolved from Drosera. Really nice plant.

Strath- Do you keep your plant in heated conditions?
Old 26th June 2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Khoas, You're right. The leaves look so much like VFTs.

I still have a clear plastic cup on top to give it high humidity just like what you did Adam. Don't dare to remove it yet. Maybe from next week onwards I'll slowly increase the gap and allow more air in.

Yes, it would be great to hear from all of you what conditions do you grow your falconeri in.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 26th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

I grow mine in a heated terrarium. I could grow it outside in the summer but winters are too cold here. I have set up a fish tank with an aquarium heater in a bottle of water to maintain a decent night temperature and the lights push the temp up when they are on. Currently I am running a 12 hour photo period and I increase this into the summer here.

I have been slowly cutting sections from the bag. I am about 3 weeks from removing the bag altogether.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:24 AM

This is my D. Falconeri. It actually has three growth points though. Is it avisable to seperate them?

Old 16th October 2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason840220 View Post
This is my D. Falconeri. It actually has three growth points though. Is it avisable to seperate them?

Wauh wauh wauh!!! That is nice specimen!!! 3 growing point!!! If me, I will keep it grow till nice form. Take photo and join the coming competition. Then, only repot them.

How I wish I can have them. But, they are a bit pricey.

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 16th October 2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

jason,

Would you mind sharing your growing conditions of your falconeri with me? Sad to say mine is not doing very well.

Old 16th October 2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
jason,

Would you mind sharing your growing conditions of your falconeri with me? Sad to say mine is not doing very well.
Previously all my CPs were beside windowstill facing South West. Due to inconsistency and lack of sunlight, most are showing a delcined in health. I then decided to make a 3-shelf grow rack. They were placed there since 3 weeks ago. All have been doing extremely well. Just an example how well they love their new home as shown by 'Great Swamp', one week before & after:

Here are the conditions:
  • Light source: Each shelf is mounted with three 10W FL.
  • Photoperiod: Timer was previously set to activate the FLs from 8:00am to 12:00am. Since then I tried to monitor the duration and now is set to; from 9:00am to 10:00pm. Both 16 and 13 hours do not give much differences though. Due to electricity cost, I chose the latter.
  • Light distance: Distance between light source and plants varies on pot size. Most are 4 to 5 inches away.
  • Water: Water tray method. Water level is around 3cm from base. When it gets to 1cm, I'll change it. And you'll be surprised on the type of water I use; boiled-filtered tap water for few months. No bad signs yet, I cross my fingers on this one.
  • Humudity: Indoor. Yes, the rack is open air.
  • Temperature: Ultra hot. You know typical 3-5pm Malaysia room temperature without air-cond nor exhaust ventilation system added with the onslaught of bright intense sun light from second floor large window... In addition, FLs has been doing a good job on maintaining the heat.
Instead of humidity, I believe heat is rather a big deal on woolies. Before I got my Falconeri, previous owner grew it outdoor with full sun and transparent sheet to protect the dew. Just my 3 cent. I'll take some pictures and post it next time.
Old 16th October 2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Hmm, from your cultivation set up and strath76 setup, falconeri should do well in hot temperatures and very bright sunlight. Wonder why mine is not doing that well. Gotto change my water source and see how it goes.