Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 16th September 2008, 09:26 AM
Advisor

Default Some pygmy sundews pics....

Here are some of the pygmies which made it....my personal fav the d.scorpioides was doing ok until they got attacked by caterpillars & that triggered a dormancy of sorts for them.

Old 16th September 2008, 09:30 AM
Advisor

Default Some pygmy sundews pics....

what d.ericksoniae x pulchella looks like when the gemmae germinates in full sun. compare that to the 3rd photo in the pics above

Old 16th September 2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: Some pygmy sundews pics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarence View Post
what d.ericksoniae x pulchella looks like when the gemmae germinates in full sun. compare that to the 3rd photo in the pics above
Great looking pygmies Tarence! Not sure I understand the quote above, are you saying the 3rd pic is germinated under lights vs. the last under sunlight? If so there's little doubt as to the preferred method! Great job!
Shawn
Old 16th September 2008, 10:19 AM
Advisor

hi Shawn

thx for the compliment...to clarify...the greener pygmy bunch was germinated in partial shade. I was adviced to keep pygmies away from full afternoon heat when i first got them. so i had to painfully move ( parents included in the daily movement ) them around in my garden when it got too hot.

when they started to produce more gemmae than i could handle, i just threw them everywhere in the garden. the result...gorgeous red hues. but it looks like they`ll be smaller in size. makes sense rite.....lotsa sun, no need to produce stretchy long leaves / traps.
Old 17th September 2008, 02:46 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Tarence, very nice pygmy sundews you have there. They looked very healthy. They'll looked even gorgeous if they colour up like the last picture. Hey, mind to put in the name for the individual plant to educate me on the ID? I'm just too stupid in pygmy sundews ID.
Nice plants indeed.
Old 18th September 2008, 01:41 PM
Advisor

I`ll try, TS.....the fingers are willing to type but the brain cannot remember the names. heheh. It`ll take a lil` effort to match the name to the pic as some of them look pretty similiar to each other.
Old 18th September 2008, 06:05 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarence View Post

Does the flowers of this hybrid have red stigma ?(red balls in the flower).
Personally I believe in much sun as possible for most pygmy sundews, mine grow through 40 C heatwaves in the sun.
Old 18th September 2008, 07:19 PM
Advisor

Khoas, with the heat wave does your pygmies go dormant? And do you grow them in very deep pots? What is your mix? Thanks!
Old 18th September 2008, 11:51 PM

Tarence, yeah I'm with TC, please help those of us who are not too good at Identifying droseras by putting labels. Hopefully other members can also help out by just telling us what picture number and what is the name.

Great plants Tarence.

Oh about caterpillars, a friend of mine who I gave a VFT to reported that his VFT got a caterpillar in it's traps. So maybe if you have VFTs, let them do revenge for their Drosera brothers and sisters

TTFN
Arvin
Old 19th September 2008, 11:14 AM
Advisor

Khoas, the hybrid pygmy has not flowered before, only produced gemmae. You might want to check the sundew gallery for pic of this hybrid. I believe david posted a pic of his when it flowered.

Some of my pygmies do go into dormancy under extreme heat, that is why I keep them away from the a`noon sun. My temps do shoot up to the high 30`s.

Arvin : will do but recently, a bit short of time as i`m selling off my old toyota rav4 ( just got a newer 2 door rav4 ! ) so a bit busy. just have time to snap the pics, upload then post. will do it later. About them caterpillars, the ones which attack are very tiny. they slip thru` the VFTs` traps so they can`t be caught. they also manage to manouver their way OVER the sticky dews to chomp on the leaves. I dunno how. *smile*