Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 4th October 2008, 01:52 AM

Default Web Mold

posting photos of my spatulata plantlets that are being over run by web mold. Really annoying, actually I have some other bigger plants that have them but they don't get bothered much like the Spatulatas. Any tips on how to control these? I do know that fungus and molds like warm and damp areas, with no air circulation. However as they are in a plastic container now, I don't know how to not give them those ideal conditions. What I do is manually scrap them off every other day. I started transplanting some of the bigger spatulatas though.

Old 4th October 2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: Web Mold

AAAUUUGGGHHH! I hate that stuff! Not sure of the 'correct' approach, but some of the more experienced growers should have some hints. Meanwhile, I wonder if, since it all seems to be connected, rubbing a little liquid fungicide on it at a point away from the Drosera might have a systemic action on it? I recently bought a bottle of "Physan 20" which is a disinfectant/Sanitizer/Fungicide/Algaecide/Virucide by Maril Products, Inc. from California. It was recommended by a platycerium grower friend (who owns an agricultural supply business here in T-land) for rinsing my containers for spore germinating prior to use. I have a tray of fern spores that's worse than you spats so I'll go out right now and try it with a q-tip soaked in it and report back in a few days. Ok, test started!
Old 4th October 2008, 10:24 AM
Advisor
Global Moderator

You are right the conditions for ideal fungal growth. Try and improve the air cirulation, it best way stop fungal problems and the spat will handle the lower humidity.
Old 4th October 2008, 01:42 PM

Mt plants have that problem too. But I just use tweezers to pull out the stupid molds.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:33 PM

I have a fungicide but I am not sure if it is effective for it, I think it is anti molds for orchids or something, I tried once but the webmold just bounced back. But then I only did try once. Also I was not sure if it might affect the CP. I physically remove them but it is tedius and they just bounce back after 1 or 2 days.

Shawn, Qtips idea is a good one, might try it soon too. I also even tried soap suds of dishwashing liquid, but nothing big to report there as well.

This morning I got a bit tired of it and also there were some spats that were completely covered, the two that were completely covered was taken off, cleaned and now are potted in open pot, hopefully they will recover and not get pested by the molds anymore.

I hope we can find a fungicide that is effective against it and safe for CPs. Do you guys know of the scientific name of this mold/fungus by the way? My websearches usually come up with webmold that affects mushroom cultures.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 5th October 2008, 01:15 PM
Advisor

I agree with Shawn, Arvin. Your growing condition is too humid and the air too still. The spatulata plants are not going to do better as they grow larger if the mould is left on them.

Remember that our humidity in SE Asia is high year round. What temperate growers see as high humidity is anything >50%RH. Our high humidity is when its rains all day.

Best conditions for tropical sundews like D. spatulata would be outdoors and protected from heavy rain via the use of light shade cloth or under partial shelter. Put it simply, bake them under the tropical sun.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:53 AM

I missed this, Thanks Cindy! So basically what you are saying is that I am Babying my Baby Spatulatas!

Actually technically the cover over the seedlings is not only for higher humidity (which as you said isn't that necessary) but also to protect against rain. I have no other place to put my seedlings, other than out in the open, and during rainy season I have had some of the containers flooded, killed the seedlings, plus the seeds that haven't germinated either floated off or got buried.

TTFN
Arvin