Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 10th February 2009, 10:41 AM

Default Hair on nepenthes

What is the point of the hair on neps? Do they provide uv protection, predator detterence, increased surface area for a hormone or attractant to spread, or area for water to condense on? Has anyone else though about this? I wonder what use hairs could be on a non feeling, non thinking organism.

Last edited by Amelie.Poulain; 12th February 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: More descriptive
Old 10th February 2009, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Hair

Hmmmm well i had once thought of that but so far had no idea too........Maybe it could be like you said area for water to condense on so that it doesn't dry out that fast considering that neps like veitchii normally grows by clinging on to trees which means not much water retaines..No idea..

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 11th February 2009, 10:43 AM
Global Moderator

I am not sure about this, but in the case of some hairy orchids (Dend infundibulum and some erias), hairs on the leaves and stems function to repel water. so, could it be that the hairs prevent excesive moisture on the leaves which could lead to fungal infections, especially since neps come from such humid environments..? just my 2 cents..
Old 11th February 2009, 11:18 AM

Hi Paphio

Good point....like my neps or some CPs if i keep them to wet which i probally have with my VFT it died? Cause of black spot thingy..Anyways even if it its for repeling water for a plant like veitchii which grows hangin on trees which means very good drainage and water doesn't stay anywhere near or on the plant for very long...So what would be the use for those hairs? Anyways i talking without any sort of info..

Ken

Old 11th February 2009, 11:57 AM

Hi

Left out something...Also for example N albo which are normally found in the wild in quite dry areas compared to most neps...Which means less moisture less humidity i assume and + penang albo is hairy and can usually take lower humidity and higher light levels sooo could be something like adapatation to lower humidity? Anyways something to do with water my thoughts would be..

Ken

Old 12th February 2009, 11:36 AM
Global Moderator

Well, I meant that since the leaves have hair, then water will run off and not stay in the crown of the plant, leading to rot. But roots do not have such hair (root hairs are obviously different), so the roots still can absorb water. In the case of veitchii, even though it is an epiphyte, it often grows on trees overhanging rivers, so there is constant humidity from evaporation. Tree bark actually absorbs quite a lot of moisture too.