Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Cephalotus

Cephalotus Everything about Australian Pitcher Plant or Albany Pitcher Plant

Old 30th March 2009, 10:56 AM
Advisor

Default Re: Some Pics Of Cephs To Share

TS,

Temperature does affect pitcher size but it is only one of the factors.

It also depends on what you want to achieve.

Like I told another grower yesterday, if my Cephs at the balcony reach 2" I already consider myself a winner. That is the size most mature pitchers are at in cultivation, even overseas. But if my plants are grown in lower temperature, they might just give me 2.5"-3" pitchers. However, I am not interested in showing to the world that my Cephs have got large pitchers while they are grown in an air-con room. That is no different from setting up a highland chamber and growing N. hamata in it. Of course, N. hamata can do well inside. But what if I have N. hamata growing at my balcony?

Every grower has their own individual goal. My personal agenda for growing Cephs is to have mature plants thriving for years in true lowland conditions at my balcony, bearing well-coloured relatively large pitchers and flowering.

Insider tip: Buy Cephs with a decent rhizome of mature age. These plants give large pitchers with little effort! (Now you know why my Cephs have got large pitchers despite the heat.)
Old 30th March 2009, 01:16 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
...Of course, N. hamata can do well inside. But what if I have N. hamata growing at my balcony?
That's exactly what I want Cindy
Old 6th April 2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Aaron,
It depends on how your media is like. Try not to keep it too wet because the remaining rhizome tends to rot off soon after the application of insecticide.
so does that mean that i cant use malathion so my ceph? will the rhizome rot off after i use insecticide?
Old 6th April 2009, 11:09 PM
Advisor

nickjamie,

I have not tried using malathion so I am not sure of its effect on Cephalotus. But with any application of insecticide on this species, it is advisable to keep the media from becoming too soggy to prevent the rhizome from rotting.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
nickjamie,

I have not tried using malathion so I am not sure of its effect on Cephalotus. But with any application of insecticide on this species, it is advisable to keep the media from becoming too soggy to prevent the rhizome from rotting.
so, if the rhizome rots, the whole plant will die i suppose?

so far i've tried dishwashing liquid to clear out aphids. it works wonderfully. but i'm not sure if the rhizome has rot!
Old 8th April 2009, 11:50 AM
Advisor

nickjamie,

If the whole rhizome rots, the plant is gone. But if only part of it rots, that part can be cut off and the rest of the rhizome saved.

However, if your plant is from tissue culture and does not have much of a rhizome to begin with...when rots in the center, the chances of it surviving is low.

Dishwashing liquid is a good choice because it is easily washed off the plant once it has done its job of killing the aphids. The problem with some insecticide is that it stays on for much too long.

Another alternative for killing such pests (e.g. scale insects too) that tend to stay around one spot on the plant is rubbing alcohol used for cuts and wounds.
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:00 PM

Hello,
Nice pictures!
I like it.