Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 8th October 2008, 12:08 AM

Default bare root vs. potted fridge dormancy...

Hello,
I have been practicing fridge dormancy with my sarracenia and vfts for about two years now. What I do is I induce dormancy on my plants 2-3 weeks prior to refrigerating them by decreasing light hours and running an a/c unit in the room where the plants grow. Even though not all of my plants give me a clear sign that they are ready to go into the fridge, they all go in at the same time. I do cut off dead and decaying leaves but usually leave the rest on the plants. I have had good results, however I have still suffered some losses due to fungus/mold etc. I always spray the plants and soil with fungicide prior to refrigerating them, and even then fungus/mold still manages to get in there. I believe that this is due to the fact that the plants are attacked underneath the soil, were the fungicide does not reach them well enough.
I have read many articles and heard from many people that when placing the plants into the fridge they should be uprooted, excess dirt cleaned off, and most leaves except those that are smaller or just emerging should be cut off together with the old and decayed ones. Afterward, the plants should then be sprayed with a fungicide, wrapped in damp sphagnum and placed in ziplock baggies to be put in the fridge.
I was wondering if anybody has had some experience with this method or both methods for that matter and wishes to share their results. The whole uproot and baggie method would also save a lot of fridge space and this would be useful due to the fact that my collection is getting bigger.
Thanks a lot then, hope to get some replies soon. Later!

Grow List
Old 8th October 2008, 12:19 AM

Default Re: bare root vs. potted fridge dormancy...

Hi Panenep

I'm not sure about dormancy because i myself have never ever put my VFTs or Sarrs into dormancy because well it is not the time yet and i will not put my plants into dormancy trying if they will survive or not (crossing fingers)....risky afraid i might lose all my CP's which need dormancy.Does anyone here have been collecting sarrs and VFT without giving them any sort of dormancy?????Because i see nurseries selling them all year round.

Sorry for hijacking your thread panenep.A few peopke i know use the method you're using and they seem to have fine plants.Improtant to keep the plant aniti fungus or it will kill you're plants.

Ken
Old 8th October 2008, 01:26 AM
Administrator

I think what most growers of Sarras and VFTs do here is give the plant dry dormancy as there are lot of accounts of plants dying when placed in the fridge. Perhaps members liek TS can explain more.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 8th October 2008, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
Does anyone here have been collecting sarrs and VFT without giving them any sort of dormancy?????Because i see nurseries selling them all year round.
Kent,

Nurseries are learning how to grow these plants and so you see the plants thriving. Also, VFTs and Sarras can be in the growing stage for two years or more if you do not provide them with dormancy. However, after that the plant gets weaker and weaker.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 8th October 2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Kent,

Nurseries are learning how to grow these plants and so you see the plants thriving. Also, VFTs and Sarras can be in the growing stage for two years or more if you do not provide them with dormancy. However, after that the plant gets weaker and weaker.
My local nursery don't learn how to grow them. They grow them like normal plants, complain they die easily, give wrong information on how to grow them and insult my CPs when he came to my house. I can't stand this kind of people.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:39 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the info David.When you mean weaker meaning less growing dying easily,smaller traps?????Okay so all VFT and Sarrs MUST go through some dormancy or not it dies icicicicici......

Hi Aaron,

Wow a nursery owner came to your house??Some of them also told me when i was visiting they said they need a lot of fertilizers...Yeah especially giving the wrong information.Like last time a lady in Hee's told me that using normal potting soil is also good for growing Neps but of course i've only seen them using it on N truncatas..Its ok Aaron they might not know much so you can't blame them for maybe accidently giving wrong information.Just bear with that.

Ken
Old 9th October 2008, 12:07 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

I don't practice cold dormancy any more as many of my VFTs and sarras died after they came out of the fridge.
Now I do dry dormancy. You could find my post here. https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1006
I didn't place the whole pot in the fridge for dormancy last time, because I don't have so much space to accommodate so many pots.