Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > MEMBERS CORNER > Interaction

Interaction General chit chat area.

Old 2nd May 2010, 09:40 PM

Default GA3

Hey there, i was wanting to try on GA3 this chemical stuff after reading a lot of article about it, does anyone have interest or got some of it?
If got interest, we can go for a group purchase, as i notice that it will produce too much for me...i think it can at least split many people...so did anyone got interest on it?

Old 2nd May 2010, 10:07 PM

Default Re: GA3

Just to add some information about it,
after doing some investigation on it, there were recorded that the solution of 0.1%~1% works best on the seeds, but mostly, the experiment was doing on the seeds that require some element to trigger it's germination, such as cold, or smoke...
Species that suggested to be tried is Byblis, Drosophyllum, Drosera, Genlisea, Heliamphora, Nepenthes, Sarracenia, may be greatly increased via the use of GA3. The application of GA3 leads to uniform germination in a shorter time, breaking the dormancy exhibited by many seeds.

using it
soaked with suitable ppm for 24hours but not more than 3days

Storing it
The prepared GA3 solution may be stored in the refrigerator (-10-0°C) and reused.
but it is advisable to mix it when you want to use it..

Calculation formula
To know the concentration, replace X and Y, (X mg / Yml) x 1000 = Z ppm
To know the amount of solution to make to get a certain ppm, replace X and Z, (X mg / Z ppm) x 1000 = Y ml
To know the quantity of powder to use, replace Z and Y, (Z ppm x Y ml) / 1000 = X mg

For exemple: 100mg of GA3 in 200ml of water gives you 200ml at 500 ppm (part per million). 100mg of GA3 in 400ml of water gives you 400ml at 250 ppm. 1g of GA3 at 90% concentration will be supplied as a powder in a small ziplock bag, sufficient quantity to make a 2 liters of solution at 500 ppm. You should have enough for a couple of years.

Ways of using
Use strong solution, 500 ppm, on very hard to germinate seeds; and a 250 ppm on seeds that are just hard or slow to start. Seeds enclosed in a hard coat may be submit to a higher concentration, 750-1000 ppm. You can scarify the seeds at first. Soak seeds for 24 hours and at most three days for the ones enclosed in a hard coat. Keep the seeds at room temperature with occasional careful shaking. The seeds may then be sown. Don't use it on easy to start seeds unless you dilute it greatly, like 25-100 ppm, and soak them only for 2-3 hours. Normal, easy-to-sprout seeds will become very elongated and stretched out, then die if GA3 is used on them. Concentrations of about 2 ppm can cause tubers to sprout earlier.

Other usage
Gibberellic acid can also influence the timing of flowering, flower gender, flower size and increase the number of flowers. If a plant is sufficiently developed, premature flowering may be induced by direct application of GA3 to young plants. Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm, female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm. You may have an increase in the number of flowers by direct application of GA3 to young plants, at 25 ppm.

When there is difficulty with fruit set because of incomplete pollination, GA3 may be effectively used to increase fruit set. The resulting fruit maybe partially or entirely seedless.

GA3 applied near the terminal bud of trees may increase the rate of growth by stimulating more or less constant growth during the season. Since GA3 regulates growth, applications of very low concentrations can have a profound effect while too much will have the opposite effect.

Although GA3 is not listed as a poison, the following precautions should be observed. Flush with water any GA3 that may get into the eye. Avoid skin contact if possible and wash away any contact with soap and water. Avoid ingestion of GA3.

Copy and edited by me, from
http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/Gibber...lique_GA3.html

and

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com...erellic%20acid

Old 3rd May 2010, 01:11 AM

I am trying GA3 now, just to experiment, specially with seeds that I have been warned to be hard to germinate. However the ones that I have been sucessful with before never needed GA3.

The friends and members here that have commented on GA3 mostly said that GA3 either does not do anything or will only make germination faster a week or so... this is according to their experiments. I am sure if you do a search you will still find the posts and info about it in the forum.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 3rd May 2010, 07:43 PM

yeah, me managed to search it, but now i want to find someone to sell me GA3 in almost 100ml like that or buy as a group, because i can make a lot with just a small volume....and i want to try on Drosera and Sarracenia species, so that i can see germination a lot faster...hehe, arvin, did you got any to sell?

Last edited by allenphoon; 3rd May 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:28 PM

Sorrly Allen, I am far from you and I got my GA3 from a friend. The GA3 that I got however was in dry or tablet form, you should look into that. Because you can cut the tablet in half or 1/4th to make smaller batches.

No I am just starting to experiment with GA3 so no first hand information from me, but some people did say that it only gives maybe a few weeks faster germination... if at all.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:33 PM

arvin, how about the sarracenia and drosera species, did it skip it dormancy reqiurement?

Old 4th May 2010, 12:46 AM

By Dormancy you mean Stratification right?

Unfortunately I have not yet tried GA3 on Sarracenia, and I am only just starting to try it on Droseras. I have not had any success with Sarracenia, so far only 1 plant germinated from Refrigerator cold dormancy, and that died after a few weeks anyway.

Droseras, if you have fresh seeds, most droseras do not need any help in germinating. Well same with Nepenthes, the fresher the better.

So long story short... sorry I have not enough experience with GA3 to give you any good information, not even for Nepenthes as I just tried it last week. But if you ask me, I do not consider GA3 as a big help, nothing beats fresh seeds.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 4th May 2010, 02:00 AM

noted....thanks for your information arvin.... :-)

Old 6th May 2010, 10:18 PM

No one interested in that?

Old 7th May 2010, 10:42 AM

hey, i was wondering, could you feed the pitchers of nepenthes this acid in trace amounts, since it induces flowering?