Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 7th September 2008, 02:21 PM

Default Frog Business

Well,this pictures are taken sometime ago.At night when i go near my nep plants something will be moving.I cant see it cause its dark but 1 day i manage to catch it on my hp camera.Guess what?Frogs?Few of them but manage to catch on the camera only one of them.I think they come to feed on the nep at night and day time they go hiding.They quickly dissapear if they saw any movement or light.

So do they feed from the pitcher or try to catch any mosquito which tries to lay egg in the pitcher?Any clues?So far i havent seen any mosquito larvae in my pitcher but i have seen few dead mosquitos.The neps are hanging around 1.5m high and that frog can really jump.Did the humidity or the water from the pitcher attracted the frogs?Try to catch some recently but they were just too fast but my dog did catch 2 frogs and ate them.Anybody had similar experiance?Anybody saw frogs with neps in the wild?

Old 7th September 2008, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Frog Business

It looks so cute on your nep.
Old 7th September 2008, 03:21 PM

I never experienced this before James but i think it wont harm your plant.
Old 7th September 2008, 03:53 PM

Your plants will defitnitly not be harmed by it actually if the plants are lower i would be more afraid of the dog u have then the frogs.U mean your dog ate 2 frogs scary.........................Maybe you dog has mixed to much with cps that it became a carnivorous doggie instead of a omnivorous 1,lol jk

Ken
Old 7th September 2008, 07:15 PM

Cute frog, bad dog
Old 7th September 2008, 07:51 PM
malowie

personally, i feel that frogs have a strong sense for insects. my sugar glider bowl containing mealworms at the uppermost part of the 6 foot cage was eaten up by a red color frog. i saw it with my own eyes. it quickly scrambled away when it noticed me.

dont mess, these fellas can climb walls. im not joking.
Old 7th September 2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I think most probably the frogs were trying to steal insects that were attracted to the pitchers. If so, it's a beautiful symbiosis between the nep and the frogs.

I have not seen frogs on my neps before but I have seen pictures of frogs in the pitchers in the wild, just sitting there waiting for an insect to drop in. There are also accounts of fresh water crabs going into the pitchers in the wild.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 7th September 2008, 09:57 PM
Senior Advisor

I have this same kind of frog around my house. They don't do any damage to the plants and I find them all over the place, on walls, windows and plants. They really can jump, 1.5 meters is nothing for them! If you happen to be quick enough to catch them it still doesn't matter as their skin is so wet that they just slip right away anyway! I must have had 10 of them in my hands (momentarily!) but never managed to hold onto one. They have little sucker-pads on their feet and can stick to anything, even glass! Here's a couple shots of my guys, which I think look pretty much the same as yours;

I agree, the worst damage may come from your dog if he sees one moving on your plants!
Old 7th September 2008, 09:59 PM

Ooo….This is the 1st time I see frog with Neps…hhaha.,.so cute…maybe he waiting the mosquito or flies that attract by the Neps…Haha..clever frog…

Hehhe!! Same to my dogs..my dogs also like catch the frogs and eat them..I want force them let the frog go…they just quickly run away and them eat the frog…Aii….my stupid dogs….
Old 7th September 2008, 10:19 PM

That's the asiatic common tree frog (Polypedates spp). They have the tendency to associate with human dwelling cos it is easier to find food. I have a few that hangs around my house; hanging on my tie that is left to dry, sharing the toilet so much so that to crap u gotta chase them out, on ur kitchen wall, bathcroom ceiling. Like malowie said, they can climb, after all, they are tree frogs. Their coloration can be variable, orange to yellow to brown, depending on environment and the species. Let them be, it shows u have a clean environment. Frogs don't like polluted areas, especially with chemicals in water