Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Aldrovanda vesiculosa

Aldrovanda vesiculosa Everything about the Water Wheel Plant

Old 27th May 2009, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Aldro propagation

They actually grow like wheels!Ok,I know that I'm a bit weird.I usually ignore the aldro part of the forum(a bit harsh to the aldro lovers ,don't cry and I'm sorry.I actually like them now)Nice plants rich!
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:40 PM

Can they grow in Aquariums?Because they would look nice in it.
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

They like stagnant water or slow flowing water.
Old 2nd June 2009, 04:03 PM

What is stagnant water?Not moving?
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator

That is the idea. Pond like enviroment or slow flowing stream like what Rich has shown in the pictures he posted. The plant' don't root. It simply floats in water. So if you put in tank with filtration system, the poor fellow will be churned and broken up. The plant is delicate you see.

Think Arvin and Jonathan be better at answering this.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:16 AM
Advisor

They also have a need for CO2, and an aquarium set up, with moving water, would cause any CO2 to be quickly dispersed, and released into the atmosphere. They use CO2 for photosynthesis, and will quickly go into decline if they don't get enough. That's why companion plants are so important to them, especially those plants that have massive root systems, that emit a constant source of CO2 by the respiration of their roots. They also quickly absorb and assimilate the excess nitrogenous matter given off by the Aldrovanda, a reciprocal beneficial symbiotic relationship. Without these plants, algae will quickly take advantage of the available nitrogenous matter, and overwhelm them. Small snails, copepods, and the entire zooplankon community also help groom the algae from attacking the Aldrovanda, and even pull out the spent carcasses out from the older traps before the algae gets to them as well, as becoming part of the menu.

A fish tank is also too small for Aldrovanda, although some people have grown them with a lot of work, and expense to artificially pump in CO2, provide high intensity mecuric halide lamps, and change the water at least once or twice a week with fresh pond water to replenish the zooplankton. In a pond, when they're in peak growth, they will double their apical growth points every week, (exponential reproduction) and in a few weeks become thousands of plants that need CO2 and food. - Rich
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Forgot Rich is the original Grandmaster in Aldrovanda cultivation. Yup, CO2 is very important. I think Arvin posted something in Pitcherplants.proboards.com forum. Link:
http://www.pitcherplants.proboards.c...ay&thread=7553

Marvin, look closely at Rich's pictures, they are in a big area. I grew mine in a 2' by 4' outdoor tank. At first everything hunky dory, Aldro grew well and multiplied. I forgot about the n2o and n3o builtup and eventually algae took over.

Piscesilim also had some Aldro in fish tank. Note that he is an aquascaping expert too. His 4' tank has co2, artificial lighting, some excellent filtration system. His Aldro too went to mulch heaven.
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:07 PM

I want to grow aldro too.
Old 11th June 2009, 10:50 AM

What is n3o and n2o?As you know I'm just a year six student although I like reading about chemistry like co2,no2,o2.....
Old 11th June 2009, 09:42 PM

Bactrus meant Nitrates and Nitrites, which are produced by fishes and other organisms, I forgot which one is then broken down by nitrobacter (nitrogen bateria) into another form, anyway it's one and the other, but if you have lots of both then algae will come in.

I think that if you have some monocote plants and other higher plant forms, they will use up the N2O and N3O and so prevent algae.

I have some filamentous algae in my aldro pond right now, but they are under control, they are the type that I can just physically take off. They are mixed with my U. Gibbas. Anyways they do not bother my aldros.

TTFN
Arvin