Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > MEMBERS CORNER > Interaction

Interaction General chit chat area.

Old 29th October 2008, 02:09 PM

Default Watering,Spraying and Misting

Hi everyone

Well since i pratically have nothing to do today other than the usual stuff i would just wanna ask stupid stuff like the oncoming questions.

1st one is...
Whats the difference between Spraying and Misting on well......any plants.

2nd..
Will spraying or watering of neps or other plants during the hot afternoons burn the plants or affect it in any negative ways because since our weather here can sometimes be brutally hot during the afternoons i feel like i wanna wet my CPs.

3rd is something like the 2nd...
Will fertilizing or foliar feed with chemical fertilizer during the afternoons affect the plants in any ways?? And is it a must to water the plants before fertilizing them.

Well thats all...this is what happen when i have nothing to do lol

Ken
Old 30th October 2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Watering,Spraying and Misting

Misting and spraying is probably not homonyms but it's the same.
It's good to spray your plants in hot afternoon expecially nepenthes.This will help them from dehydrating.
I water my plants after i fertilize them because the fertilizer will dissolve in water and go straight to soil.
If you water the soil before fretilizing, it's useless!!

I don't think so these are a nonsence questions,it's good to aske question.
That's why forum are for
Old 30th October 2008, 11:32 AM

I am actually interested in the replies to your question, but will try to answer too as follows:

1. I feel that misting and Spraying as Ali said probably the same thing, maybe the difference is either the size of the water droplets misting being a bit more smaller, or the type of device used.

2. There might be an effect but I am not sure, I don't understand it fully yet, but might have something to do with plant transpiration. But frankly I do spray/mist them in the afternoon when I see that the medium is too dry already, specially my VFTs and N. American CPs.

3. I don't use fertilizers so can't comment here.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 30th October 2008, 12:21 PM

Hi Ali

Well i do definitly get a total opposite reply from another forum. Here it is http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com...ad=6686&page=1

According to it,it says that the little droplets of water acts as a magnifying glass O.0 well that i don't know anyways i still spray my neps before i go to school because i'm afraid the weather might be to hot and also during the afternoons humidity can drop quite much for around an hour or two and also Thanks Arvin...More advice is always appreciated hehehe

Ken
Old 30th October 2008, 08:14 PM

Well,
i don't see any burnt spot in my nepenthes leaves and i'm misting it everyday!
Old 30th October 2008, 10:29 PM

?????O.o magnifying? thats something new, I've never heard of it before, well, I spray mist my neps and so far no probs at all, no sunburn nothing. Thats because I don't expose them to full sunlight.........

Spraying, misting, hmmmmm if you check the dictionary, its around the same though spraying means spreading dispersed water while misting is basically condensed water vapour. Ahh, well, who cares, just call it spray misting

I don't think this questions are ridiculous, its fun. Don't forget, stupid can also be fun and a relief to stress, no point of saying this in the thread....

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 30th October 2008, 10:33 PM

BTW my rajah's leaves and pitchers are getting redder and redder. Is it too much sunlight?? A new leave is growing which means it survived. Its not as slow-growing as it is said to be. I still mist my rajah sometimes and sometimes put ice cubes around it
Old 30th October 2008, 10:48 PM

Ice cubes?? That should be for darlingtonia I thought. You could put ice cubes around the pot so that the ice cube melted water doesn't freeze poor Mr. Rajah's roots. Hehehe......

Maybe your rajah is getting healthier, if it gets redder, then sunburn.

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 30th October 2008, 11:58 PM

As i told you Aaron,

Don't expose small plants to full sunlight or they'll die expecially like Rajah.
They are hard to take care off when they are small with little or no roots at all.

Highland nepenthes need really high humidity if grown in lowland conditions though!
Old 30th October 2008, 11:59 PM

Hi Aaron

Well depends what you mean by red though so far never seen any N rajah with reddish leaves though.Does the leaves have red spots or is it the whole leaf And if it is the whole leaf does that leaf look wilty???It could be maybe the nep trying to adjust to the high light levels..well i don't really know bit i doubt its that probally sunburn.

I heard somewhere that putting ice on the neps will harm your neps maybe just spray it with cooled water...Or...hehehe if you totally have nolthing to do at night....get a small polystyrene box where people keep ice or fishes in the market those boxes and when you get it everyday maybe before you sleep get about few frozen bottles in the box together with your N rajah and keep it half closed haha thats what i do but i'm not sure bout the humidity affects or anything but i don't think it affects it cause when i wake up in the morning there are droplets of water and certain leaves on the nep..and also the ice bottle still partly frozen.It might be irritating after awhile but well just a suggestion

Ken

Ken