Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 1st September 2009, 05:37 AM
Advisor

Default A new Nepenthes from Cambodia

Hello,

This is my pleasure to introduce you to a new species of Nepenthaceae from the Cardamom Mountains, a remote range in Cambodia which has just recently been open to scientists (since the late 1990's). Before, those mountains were a Khmer rouge stronghold zone filled with landmines and tigers. The landmines are still there but the tigers are far less numerous...
It has been discovered by photographer and biologist Jeremy Holden while he was on expedition for Flora Fauna International (FFI) in the early 2000's.
I have been to the Cardamom Mountains with Jeremy a few weeks ago to check that undiagnosed taxon which will be described as a new species.
Herbarium samples have been legally collected and the plant is now on the process of being described. I hope to publish it in the near future. Until then, people will be asked to refer to it as Nepenthes spec. Pursat (from the Pursat province of Cambodia).
The plant belongs to the pyrophytic group of Indochinese Nepenthaceae (ie smilesii, kongkandana ined, bokorensis, thorelii, kampotiana) and like the other species of the group develop underground tubers and grow in places which are frequently exposed to fires and drought.
It is easily recognizable in the wild.
Both male and female inflorescences develop partial peduncles of two flowers which is unique in this group of species and reminiscent of the Malaysian Nepenthes sanguinea.
This species develop broadly infundibular upper pitchers (not cylindrical and there's no hip).
The mature lower pitchers are clearly ovoid and look like N. gymnamphora 's.
You will find below a selection of pictures but a complete field report will be available in the future through Marcello Catalano's site: Nepenthes of Thailand:
http://www.nepenthesofthailand.com/[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
This last picture has been taken by Jeremy Holden:
[/url]
Truly,
François Mey.

Last edited by Sockhom; 1st September 2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Re: A new Nepenthes from Cambodia

Thanks for sharing this inforamtion and pictures. I like the lower pitchers. Lokk kinda cute.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 1st September 2009, 02:02 PM

Nice! Another tuborous Nepenthes! The pitchers on this species look pretty impressive too.

I can't wait till this species enters cultivation!
Old 1st September 2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Very nice nepenthes, hope to see them be given a species status and introduce into cultivation soon.