Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 13th March 2009, 07:54 PM

Default Holland peat for VFT... Is it ok?

Hi;

I'm new here and just started to sow some VFT seed that I bought from eBay. It's already been 3 weeks since I sowed them.

I use a type of peat called Holland peat by a local seller. I don't get any idea what it is and is it suitable for sowing VFT. Anyone here use the same peat before (I mean the Holland peat)?

I think my first 25 seeds are going to fail because I forgot to stratify them in the fridge. Now I'm waiting for another 10 seeds from another online seller (maybe will arrive in 2/3 more days). So I need to be well prepared this time.

By the way, anyone know any seller locally sell the VFT plant instead its seeds? Please let me know.

(I'm sorry if these questions was already asked before).
Old 13th March 2009, 09:06 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: Holland peat for VFT... Is it ok?

Hi Zul, welcome to the forum.
VFT seeds don't need any cool stratification, they will germinate from as fast as a week to three weeks depending on how fresh the seeds are, they lose their viability quite fast. Plants grown from seeds will take about 2 - 3 years to reach maturity. And you have to be very careful because a heavy downpour will wash everything away when they are still small, do something to protect them from rain.
I'm not quite sure about the Holland peat, but you can take a look at the back of the packing, it usually explained what type of peat it is. Sphagnum peat is definitely suitable for CPs. Don't use anything stated jungle peat, this is peat decomposed from leaves, branches & etc. which is rich in minerals.
You can germinate VFTs with just water, get a transparent plastic cup with a cap, fill it with half cup of water (if tap water, leave it overnight before use), place it in where you would place this cup after you sow the seeds, you may need a bright spot without direct sun. After you have placed the cup, sprinkle the seeds in the water, they'll float on the surface, close the cap slowly, a small shake resulted in seeds stick to the wall of the cup.
Just wait.
You may transfer the plantlets when they have two or more leaves.
Old 14th March 2009, 01:05 AM

Thanks TS for the guide.... I think it's too late for me because the pots have been exposed to the heavy downpour recently... I'll make another attempt when I get new 10 seeds from another seller...

I hope I can find any nursery that sells Sphagnum peat here in Melaka. By the way anyone have try 'coco-peat' (coconut husk) for VFT?
Old 14th March 2009, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zul77 View Post
Thanks TS for the guide.... I think it's too late for me because the pots have been exposed to the heavy downpour recently... I'll make another attempt when I get new 10 seeds from another seller...

I hope I can find any nursery that sells Sphagnum peat here in Melaka. By the way anyone have try 'coco-peat' (coconut husk) for VFT?
You can try it from ACE hardware shop. The brand that i use so far is called "Hotti". It is spagnum peat moss...

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 14th March 2009, 08:19 AM

Thx caseyhoo... I'll drop by their branch in PJ on the way balik kampung during this school holiday.... I hope I don't get lost in KL/Selangor....
Old 14th March 2009, 07:31 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Zul, sorry to hear that your seeds had probably gone. The water methos is a very good way of germinating VFTs and sarraceia seeds. You could see from the plastic cup if the seeds already germinated. And it is free of any disturbance like pests, birds or even rain.
You know of any shop selling SM in PJ? Or there is also an ACE in Mid Valley Mega Mall.
Old 14th March 2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS View Post
Hi Zul, sorry to hear that your seeds had probably gone. The water methos is a very good way of germinating VFTs and sarraceia seeds. You could see from the plastic cup if the seeds already germinated. And it is free of any disturbance like pests, birds or even rain.
You know of any shop selling SM in PJ? Or there is also an ACE in Mid Valley Mega Mall.
Thx... I'll use the water method for my next batch of seeds.... However may I know when sould I transplant the seeds to the pot? I'm afraid they will be drown if I'm late tranfering them .... It's must be so so tiny in size right? So what's the better way to collect them in the plastic cup?

Another problem that I think I'll be faced is how to sow them in the peat. Do I need to just put them on the peat without making any hole for the root?

I'm not familiar with KL/Selangor area. However I made a few searching in the internet and I found there're a few branch of ACE hardware there. I hope the SM can be found in all ACE branches.....

Thx again for your attention guys....
Old 14th March 2009, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
By the way, anyone know any seller locally sell the VFT plant instead its seeds? Please let me know.
Fauzi is selling them. You can check with him. He owns a Nepenthes nursery in KL, but he can post to you. Besides that I am sure other members might have extra to sell/exchange/give you. You can contact Fauzi at 019-2720043.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 15th March 2009, 12:26 AM

Thanks David... I'll contact him soon....
Old 16th March 2009, 12:46 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Quote:
Thx... I'll use the water method for my next batch of seeds.... However may I know when sould I transplant the seeds to the pot? I'm afraid they will be drown if I'm late tranfering them .... It's must be so so tiny in size right? So what's the better way to collect them in the plastic cup?

Another problem that I think I'll be faced is how to sow them in the peat. Do I need to just put them on the peat without making any hole for the root?

I'm not familiar with KL/Selangor area. However I made a few searching in the internet and I found there're a few branch of ACE hardware there. I hope the SM can be found in all ACE branches.....

Thx again for your attention guys....
Hi Zul,

You could transplant the plant when you see them growing the the 3rd leaf, I normally take them out with a tooth pick one by one, don't use tweezer as it will hurt the fragile seedling.

I like using 1 peat : 1 perlite (or sand) for the babies, make sure you cover the root with some peat to prevent it from dehydration, drip a few drops of water on the seedling to make sure the roots are covered nicely with peat (never let any part of the root exposed). Place a water tray underneath and in a bright shady place for a week, then slowly introduce to full sun. Always remember to protect them from rain. If you are using a piece of plastic sheet, don't place the plastic sheet just on top the opening of the pot without any ventilation, the hot air gathered inside will cook your seedling!

If you wanna sow them on peat, just sprinkle them on top the moist peat, cover with a piece of cling film on top the pot to provide some humidity. Poke some holes on the film. Of course you will need a water tray too.

Hope this helps, happy sowing!