Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 5th February 2009, 12:00 AM

Default need your advise

hi to all, I would love to hear from you regarding opinion on which cp suits newbie best since google make me more and more confuse, it is still better to get an idea from those experienced one, please list down two cp that you recommend to newbie and the price range of it(in malaysia), thanks a lot for your support
Old 5th February 2009, 04:57 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: need your advise

Best/easiest plant for a newbie depends on where they are growing them. I would suggest for you that many of the lowland Nep's such as rafflesiana or ampularia would grow succesfully as well as tropical drosera. Stay away from plants from cooler areas at the start as they generally need a little more care. Drosera such as burmanii, adelae and capensis should grow well for you and seed is often availale through the trade section.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:29 AM

Hi xiwei

Umm well since you stay in malaysia i would say the easiest to grow and find would be this 2 N miranda and N ventrata they are both hybrids and are both beauiful neps..

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 5th February 2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Xi Wei, pm me your address. Send you some welcome gift of Drosera. You have to prepare the pot and media.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:38 AM

The guys have covered it. I guess the most practical is to keep CPs that are native to your area first, it means maybe cheaper to buy and easy to acclimatize. Nepenthes and Droseras are great, in fact that is the bulk of my CP collection anyway. Miranda and Ventrata are a good call! Maybe Albomarginata in the future for a pure species.

Yes I have taken this advice myself, most of my collections are native Alatas, even Ventricosas though don't do well with me coz they are intermediates and like cooler temps sometimes. D. Capensis, Burmanii, Spatulata are nice droseras Love them!

TTFN
Arvin
Old 5th February 2009, 11:43 AM

Arvin, I was having the same problem with my ventrisoca for more than a year.

So I recently moved it into my glass terrarium which I place outdoor -meaning temp. still quite high but with very high humidity, whadddya know, it's thriving! Just waiting for it to color up though, the pitchers look almost pale green!
Old 5th February 2009, 05:15 PM

should i conclude that starting off with something that are from the same climate of the place i live is the best?

to bactrus,

thanks for your offer, do you mind sharing info bout how to get started with drosera like what sort of mud, humidity, lighting and also good location to put it(indoor or outdoor)? The only plant that I'm familiar with is oil palm, have been working on oil palm nursery for 10 year plus, since that it is hardy plant, the only thing i know is soil plus bag plus water plus fertilizer=growing, for cp, i have totally no idea on the medium, thanks again for the much needed advise