Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My first Venus Flytrap (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1039)

marvin1997 19th September 2008 11:45 PM

Re: My first Venus Flytrap

I got a VFT two weeks ago.So..........does VFT eat other insects too?Like ants and beetles??:confused:

Please tell me!!

malowie 19th September 2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin1997 (Post 3998)
I got a VFT two weeks ago.So..........does VFT eat other insects too?Like ants and beetles??:confused:

Please tell me!!

wow! congrats.. what variety if your VFT?

from experience, my VFT has only been devouring flies lately. and surprisingly, the flies are more or less the same size!

i see ants crawling over the plant sometimes but so far is has eaten none.

beetles? none too.

post of pic of ur VFT!:2thumbup:

plantlover 19th September 2008 11:54 PM

Yes but they prefer flies. Avoid feeding them insects that are too big. Don't let any wings/feelers etc. stick out as this will cause the trap to rot.

malowie 19th September 2008 11:56 PM

well, i just let nature take its course.. i dont feed my VFT insects that i catch cuz im worried the plant will get overfed and the traps would not live long.

plantlover 19th September 2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malowie (Post 3999)
wow! congrats.. what variety if your VFT?

from experience, my VFT has only been devouring flies lately. and surprisingly, the flies are more or less the same size!

i see ants crawling over the plant sometimes but so far is has eaten none.

beetles? none too.

post of pic of ur VFT!:2thumbup:

Mine has only eaten flies about 2-4 times. They sometimes eat beetles, ****roaches, moths, big ants, mosquitoes and other insects.

malowie 20th September 2008 12:06 AM

wow! ****roaches?

thats awesome.

ur traps must be huge.

mine only eats flies all along.. maybe my place got no diversity of insects.. haha

my old house that had a lot of palm trees had plenty of wasps.. they always become my old sarra's meals...

plantlover 20th September 2008 12:14 AM

My vFt SMALL LAH. Only the ****roaches are babies. My sarra and nep catches a lot of black ants. (and i grow an ant plant in between two neps and it seems to attract ants.

malowie 20th September 2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantlover (Post 4006)
My vFt SMALL LAH. Only the ****roaches are babies. My sarra and nep catches a lot of black ants. (and i grow an ant plant in between two neps and it seems to attract ants.

oic... surprsingly my neps dont eat much ants.. they prefer bees instead haha...

anyway, im wondering whether to break up my VFT clump comprising of at least 8 plants in it... im having a headache!

marvin1997 21st September 2008 10:23 AM

how do you post the picture???click the"insert image" then??

Marigoldsfail21 21st September 2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malowie (Post 4009)
oic... surprsingly my neps dont eat much ants.. they prefer bees instead haha...

anyway, im wondering whether to break up my VFT clump comprising of at least 8 plants in it... im having a headache!

My neps love fungus nats. It's sort of ironic because they nats develop in the plants' soil then then nep eats them. I just think it's weird since the pitchers are getting the nutrients from the same soil they are growing in instead of the roots.

And you don't have to divide your flytraps if you dont want to, provided that the pot is large enough. I know what you mean about a headache, though. Dividing plants is hard work. If you make sure that you have the clump in a large enough pot, the plants can really look amazing when they are growing, so you won't have to divide them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin1997 (Post 4045)
how do you post the picture???click the"insert image" then??

This should help:
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=8