Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default tarence: some updates (Read 188 times)

tarence
Global Moderator

some updates
« Thread Started on 5 Aug, 2007, 9:42 »this common `weed` capensis sundew is finally flourishing.....

a cutie pie from Lim...d.paradoxa...so gorgeously cute it almost brought tears to my eyes when i saw it..heheh.

the intermedia from David.....looks so diff from his...David`s is smaller & so gorgeous red....well, diff growing conditions...

and the d.binata from Lim also....it tried to flower 3 times, i snipped them off all three times, i think it`s mad at me for not letting it show off its flowers and try to breed...the longest leaf so far is about 4".....they are supposed to grow up to 12" in the wild...

« Last Edit: 6 Aug, 2007, 10:05 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Re: some updates
« Reply #1 on 5 Aug, 2007, 11:15 »hey tarence, cool to see that you've got a flourishing D. capensis. Us growers in SG has been trying to grow D. capensis for quite sometime without much success. Is that capensis grown from seed? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
bifurcatum

« Reply #2 on 5 Aug, 2007, 17:29 »Tarence. did binata a slow grower? mine grow very slow.
How you grow your intermedia?
Thanks!
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 5 Aug, 2007, 20:56 »hongrui, I think not only you guys in Singapore having problem with capensis. I've tried so many times and the plant just died on me. So sad. And cpers overseas say this is a weed in cultivation... so not fair!

I think capensis needs cooler environment to do well.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisthongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #4 on 5 Aug, 2007, 22:44 »i've got some capensis seeds earlier this year and i'm hoping that among the seedlings, there will be some which are more heat tolerant.

hopefully the weed drosera will eventually grow like a weed for us in the tropics.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 6 Aug, 2007, 8:54 »hongrui : my d.capensis is grown from a plantlet given by a friend....i`ve killed many as well ( 2 adult plants plus a whole clump!) but this time it seems to be doing well. it took almost 1 month to acclimatise to my weather as the friend`s place is more humid & cooler. Funny rite this sundew...coz Savage garden calls it a beginner`s plant & yet we have so much trouble growing it..me included of course.

bifurcatum: the binata grows quite fast actually. it can put out 2-3 new leaves per week. And can see growth everyday. I use pure spag moss plus high water level plus 3 hours of morning sun.
« Last Edit: 6 Aug, 2007, 10:07 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #6 on 6 Aug, 2007, 12:32 »tarence, actually i think most, if not all the south african sundews require cooler nights (~25C?) than what we usually get. South Africian species like D. capensis, D. aliciae are supposedly easy but we get problems with them. I find that south american species do better for me than south africian species. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 6 Aug, 2007, 13:34 »Hongrui, the nites at my area is quite cool, i`m not sure if it`s down to 25C tho...haha, that`s almost semi-highland temp rite ? the fact that I drench the garden at nite( grass area, driveway, tree etc ) also helps with the temp drop.....we do what we have to...so that we can keep the plants we want *wink* Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #8 on 6 Aug, 2007, 15:36 »
Quote: ... we do what we have to...so that we can keep the plants we want *wink*

haha this i agree wholeheartedly.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 18 Aug, 2007, 11:46 »my `weed` has finally flowered......the plant itself is fine sans a few brown spots from digesting insects....if not, i would have attempted to cut the flower off. feeding it with lotsa insects now to boost its nutritional intake.

i notice that its flowers are a lot more than spatulata or burmanii...and larger...

« Last Edit: 18 Aug, 2007, 11:49 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #10 on 18 Aug, 2007, 13:28 »i regret... to say i regret is the understatement of the year...

i really, truly, severely regret doing that flowersectomy on my d. indica... I have to live with this regret until it starts flowering again...

Maybe i'll throw away the scisors that i used to snip snip the flower buds...

(Looking at the pix in tarence latest update... Slowly turning a deeper shade of green in envy...)
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 20 Aug, 2007, 8:24 »i guess your d.indica will flower again soon. when i snipped off my d.binata`s flower stalk ( 3 times so far ! ), the new flower stalks apperead within 2 weeks.

it`s now into its 4th attempt to flower......i might just let it as the plant itself is already quite robust. just curious to see what its flowers would look like......

as for me, i just want d.capensis seeds so that i can start on my d.capensis `jungle`.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug, 2007, 8:25 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged