Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default pheabs: : My CPs growing progress - little wierdo =.= (Read 768 times)

pheabs

My CPs growing progress - little wierdo =.=
« Thread Started on 26 Mar, 2008, 19:52 »Hi everyone, as mentioned above, I've just received plants below from pisces.. I am very new to CPs, so i need your help to correct me if any mistake made.

Here is my plants:
This image is reduced by 46%, click it to view full size.

any comment about the water level or other thing?
for D. adalae and P.primuliflora and sphagnum moss, i put some pumice (bout 1 inch height) at the bottom of pots, then sphagnum moss, then the plants.

Any special treament to recover them back to healthy state?

Thank a lot!!!
Muncho gracias!!!
« Last Edit: 9 Apr, 2008, 11:53 by pheabs »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

Re: I just got those plants for Pisces, any commen
« Reply #1 on 26 Mar, 2008, 20:29 »Pheabs - Nice "STARTER" Kit!

I'll defer to others around here who are much better with these species than I. My only comment is more light! But then again... if they just were shocked by traveling, maybe not?

Good luck, you are off to a great start!
shawn
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #2 on 26 Mar, 2008, 21:16 »
Quote: Pheabs - Nice "STARTER" Kit!

I'll defer to others around here who are much better with these species than I. My only comment is more light! But then again... if they just were shocked by traveling, maybe not?

Good luck, you are off to a great start!
shawn

haha! thanks a lot, shawn!!!
Beside of Adalae which need a lot of indirect sunlight, i know the rest need few hours direct sunlight. Yup Yup, that's why i need their consultant..

Shocked? I think they are terrified instead...

anything beside of sunlight?? how bout the water level? is it too high? I afraid that their roots will rot because i almost put the water lvl as high as it reaches root... ...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #3 on 26 Mar, 2008, 21:28 »Hello Pheabs!

you have the Drosera and VFTs in pure sphagnum moss? i'd recommend you using a mix of 1:1 sphag moss with perlite or coarse river sand as a potting media. pure sphag moss might compact and not allow the roots to breathe. i do not have any experience with Pings so i can't comment.

the water levels looks fine, but remember that the most Drosera and all VFTs are full sun plants. you'd need to provide a lot of light especially if you want to maintain the redness of the D. paradoxa and D. filiformis 'Red'. D. adelae will do in lower light levels than the rest of Drosera.

for the first 1-2weeks or so, i'd recommend that you keep the plants in bright shade first, let them get acclimatized before giving them more light or putting them out into sun.

happy growing!
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 26 Mar, 2008, 21:53 »Hi Pheabs,
You have a decent number of drosears to kickstart!
Where do u intend to grow ur sundews, indoors or outdoors? Droseras prefer outdoors becos they love well ventilated air circulation. But beware of heavy raindrops, it might be too much for sundews.

As pointed out by hongrui, the water level seems ok. And yah, VFT and sundews need A LOT of sunlight.

Naj
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]pheabs

« Reply #5 on 27 Mar, 2008, 1:32 »
Quote: Hello Pheabs!

you have the Drosera and VFTs in pure sphagnum moss? i'd recommend you using a mix of 1:1 sphag moss with perlite or coarse river sand as a potting media. pure sphag moss might compact and not allow the roots to breathe. i do not have any experience with Pings so i can't comment.

the water levels looks fine, but remember that the most Drosera and all VFTs are full sun plants. you'd need to provide a lot of light especially if you want to maintain the redness of the D. paradoxa and D. filiformis 'Red'. D. adelae will do in lower light levels than the rest of Drosera.

for the first 1-2weeks or so, i'd recommend that you keep the plants in bright shade first, let them get acclimatized before giving them more light or putting them out into sun.

happy growing!

Thank you for your recommendations hongrui , i intended to use the medium that you mentioned above. However, i couldn't find any nursery sells perlite, vermiculite and oh yeah!, they don't even know what is sphagnum moss.. = =

Perhaps i should go to sg to get some, i know AMK nursery does has those stuff, but i wonder if the price is worth buying? May i know how much do you buy your perlite? and LFS as well..
thanks a lot!!!

Oh, thank you. If you don't mention, i will probably put them under moning sunlight directly after few days!
So i just wait for couple of weeks then shift them to outdoor..
« Last Edit: 27 Mar, 2008, 1:40 by pheabs »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #6 on 27 Mar, 2008, 1:39 »
Quote: Hi Pheabs,
You have a decent number of drosears to kickstart!
Where do u intend to grow ur sundews, indoors or outdoors? Droseras prefer outdoors becos they love well ventilated air circulation. But beware of heavy raindrops, it might be too much for sundews.

As pointed out by hongrui, the water level seems ok. And yah, VFT and sundews need A LOT of sunlight.

Naj

haha, i jus love the way drosera grow, especially paradoxa & filiformis
I will be super happy if paradoxa has giant form, it will be d**n gorgeous..

Outdoor is the best, haha.. However my house is facing SW, so it would jus received direct sunlight from noon to evening. Is it okay? Good thing is, i can still put them under roof yet receive direct sunlight!!
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #7 on 27 Mar, 2008, 7:40 »i'm not too sure what the prices are at AMK nursery, i usually buy my stuff from World Farm. which part of malaysia are you from? maybe you can put down you location and maybe the others will know nearby locations where you can get perlite from.

Direct sun from noon to evening is good.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
pheabs

« Reply #8 on 27 Mar, 2008, 11:21 »
Quote: i'm not too sure what the prices are at AMK nursery, i usually buy my stuff from World Farm. which part of malaysia are you from? maybe you can put down you location and maybe the others will know nearby locations where you can get perlite from.

Direct sun from noon to evening is good.

Oh i see, haha!

I'm living in Skudai
, a town which barely needs about half an hour something to reach sg checkpoint.
Hope someone could share some info, i'd already search all of the nurseries which located in the entire SKudai, none of them sell those stuff...

Oh yeah!? haha! then i hv to find some space to squeez my precious CPs to the out door to receive the sunlight right after couple of week. Muahahah

« Reply #9 on 27 Mar, 2008, 11:31 »Oh yeah, i have an unpleasant morninng... i woke up, and misted my CPs happily and found that my little pinguicula bud vanish from on of my D. adelae pot (bottom right of the 1st pic) !!!!
It's rather big you know... who the earth took it away...

There is another thing, a housefly bully my both filiformis...
it flys and rest on top of both plants... Jus because they are unable to produce dew now doesn't mean they couldn't produce dew foreve...

By the time they produce dew, it's the end of your life with the punishment of bullying my precious CPs!!!!! And by that time, i am d**n sure you can't see the next sunrise, stupid fly...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #10 on 27 Mar, 2008, 11:43 »Erm pheabs, u misted ur droseras? Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #11 on 27 Mar, 2008, 12:13 »You better check and see if there's a snail or earthworm around your CPs. That might be the culprit that chewed off your ping bud.

By the way, I've included your location under your location field in yoru profile. It's to give members an idea of where you are from. It's a requirement under the terms and conditions.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar, 2008, 12:16 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpheabs

« Reply #12 on 27 Mar, 2008, 13:04 »
Quote: Erm pheabs, u misted ur droseras?
jus the bottom part.. sprayed on the sphagnum moss...

and last... one spray on top of them.. that's it.. nothing more...
Is there a problem!?

« Reply #13 on 27 Mar, 2008, 13:08 »
Quote: You better check and see if there's a snail or earthworm around your CPs. That might be the culprit that chewed off your ping bud.

By the way, I've included your location under your location field in yoru profile. It's to give members an idea of where you are from. It's a requirement under the terms and conditions.

OMG, i put the fresh dead sphagnum moss man! How could that be!!

Okay okay.. i go and check it ou.. = ="

Oh yeah! thanks a lot! It's convenient that everyone knows where am i.. haha..

« Reply #14 on 27 Mar, 2008, 13:11 »Btw, is my dining area receive enough sunlight?

Btw, My adalaes turn flat after sunbath.. how come!?
too hot to them??
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on 27 Mar, 2008, 13:43 »pheabs : spraying the sundews directly with water will cause the dew to dry out. the plant will then `struggle` to produce more dew. sundews grown outside will always be in bad shape after being hit by the rains but they will eventually recover. but it`s an effort. ideally, sundew leaves should not be sprayed.

i suggest you follow hongrui`s advice to keep the new plants in BRIGHT area. bright area means no direct sunlite but the area is bright. ( unlike what you are doing to your plants in the kitchen )

d.adelae`s recovery is usually the slowest. again, keep it away from direct sunlite for the time period stated by hongrui.

« Reply #16 on 27 Mar, 2008, 14:11 »
Quote: pheabs : spraying the sundews directly with water will cause the dew to dry out. the plant will then `struggle` to produce more dew. sundews grown outside will always be in bad shape after being hit by the rains but they will eventually recover. but it`s an effort. ideally, sundew leaves should not be sprayed.

i suggest you follow hongrui`s advice to keep the new plants in BRIGHT area. bright area means no direct sunlite but the area is bright. ( unlike what you are doing to your plants in the kitchen )

d.adelae`s recovery is usually the slowest. again, keep it away from direct sunlite for the time period stated by hongrui.

Okay okay.. i will put adalae below the wall cabinet... jus receive the sunlight that reflects from table...

Eh.. how bout butterwort?

« Reply #17 on 27 Mar, 2008, 14:13 »Pheabs,
Are u placing ur plants indoors? then the thing u should concern is humidity. From my opinion, placing it in the kitchen is not a good idea. While ure cooking, the temperature will rise and furthermore, the air will be oily. Yah, maybe thats nothing for us as humans, but it is important for the plants. Oil will make them difficult to breath.

Naj
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #18 on 27 Mar, 2008, 14:35 »Since your plants are placed in the kitchen, I am assuming that there might be a few more pests that might be the culprit that chewed on your ping. It could be ****roach or mouse. But then again your kintchen looks very clean and neat.

Just a suggestion if you want to increase humidity. Just get a fish tank and place all of your plants in there. Do not cover the top of the tank tho' or the sunlight will heat up the tank too much.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpheabs

« Reply #19 on 27 Mar, 2008, 19:47 »
Quote: Since your plants are placed in the kitchen, I am assuming that there might be a few more pests that might be the culprit that chewed on your ping. It could be ****roach or mouse. But then again your kintchen looks very clean and neat.

Just a suggestion if you want to increase humidity. Just get a fish tank and place all of your plants in there. Do not cover the top of the tank tho' or the sunlight will heat up the tank too much.

Indoor, it's indoor hahaha.... Nah, it jus the dining corner..
or should i call dry kitchen.. So, it's easy to clean...

Hmm, ya know what dave.. I might exclude those culprit as we cover up all of the doors and windows with net... *nod nod*
Yeah yeah, i'm a guy yet i don't like insect very much and hate bitten by mosquitoes which makes me irritated.. *frown*

So i live in a almost bugs free environment...
Flys or mosquitoes fly in once in a while.. ****roach comes in once in a while from washroom drainage system... Lizards too..
By all means, they seldom pass thru that area. At last, i start to focus on other suspects.. like my family members..
They might think that my little baby doesn't look like D. adalae and it probably is some other thing, so helpful to throw the intruder for me... But they all denied when i asked them ... = =
My little baby... T.T

Nevertheless, this insect-free protection net brings up another probelm now... I hv nothing to feed my Plants!!!!
I would probably shift them to outdoor, but somehow i still try to find some space for them due to, i don't want put them too close to my mum's plants where that area used to attact by aphid that came from next door.> too risky... *shake head*

Don't wanna get them too close to my herbs as well.. the habitat of herbs is totally differnt form CPs .. Moreover, my herbs are in very unhealthy state due to temperature and huminity problem.. *sigh*

Hmm.. Dave, it's very hard to get an fish tank...Non of my relative nearby feeds fish.... = ="
To frds, they love fish too much.. not enough fish tank to them..
*faint*

any other solution or is it okay if i just let them in the current environment? My humblest apology if i get you all irritated... Little student, with a little allowance and part time salary.. *sigh*
« Last Edit: 27 Mar, 2008, 19:54 by pheabs »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #20 on 27 Mar, 2008, 19:51 »Hmm, my ping still looks dry... = ="
does ping needs direct sunlight? or jus like adalae? to make it produce they sticky things?

« Reply #21 on 27 Mar, 2008, 19:52 »
Quote: Pheabs,
Are u placing ur plants indoors? then the thing u should concern is humidity. From my opinion, placing it in the kitchen is not a good idea. While ure cooking, the temperature will rise and furthermore, the air will be oily. Yah, maybe thats nothing for us as humans, but it is important for the plants. Oil will make them difficult to breath.

Naj

It's indoor naj, it jus the dining area. Kitchen is located the other side, beyond the wall where i put the bottles. So temperature problem can be negleted, and so the oil and grease.

It jus a dining room with a small opened hole cover with transparent roof to get some natural light on daylight.
No worry, i won't ill-treat my precious plants

« Reply #22 on 27 Mar, 2008, 20:34 »Pheabs,
I can see that ure too excited with ur new plants. My advice is just that give them time and they will grow steady and happily. just 'ignore' them, bcos CPs dont like to be overprotected
U dont need to feed them for now. Moreover, they still will survive without insects to eat bcos they can photosynthesize to make their own food. It is NOT a good idea to feed ur plants now. They are still stressed.
Abt ur droseras, what u should be concern abt is to make sure the plant is growing and producing dews (which indicates that the palnt is happy). Only then u can think abt feeding them.
Good luck!

Naj
« Last Edit: 27 Mar, 2008, 20:35 by artificialive »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on 27 Mar, 2008, 21:45 »Ya. Naj is right. Just ignore your CPs.
The original leaves may look dry. But the new leaves will produce many sticky dews soon.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimpheabs

« Reply #24 on 27 Mar, 2008, 23:14 »
I can see that ure too excited with ur new plants. My advice is just that give them time and they will grow steady and happily. just 'ignore' them, bcos CPs dont like to be overprotected
U dont need to feed them for now. Moreover, they still will survive without insects to eat bcos they can photosynthesize to make their own food. It is NOT a good idea to feed ur plants now. They are still stressed.
Abt ur droseras, what u should be concern abt is to make sure the plant is growing and producing dews (which indicates that the palnt is happy). Only then u can think abt feeding them.
Good luck!

Naj

yeah, i guess you are right.. I've done my part.. pot them, water tray method... then wakaka... nothing else! so i jus start to get nervous.. haha...
« Last Edit: 27 Mar, 2008, 23:16 by pheabs »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #25 on 27 Mar, 2008, 23:43 »
Quote: Ya. Naj is right. Just ignore your CPs.
The original leaves may look dry. But the new leaves will produce many sticky dews soon.

I guess butterwort also right?? lolx

haha! i kinda worry they just die.. wakaka....
okay okay.. so i just sit and relax, see how things go after couple of week... If dews come out.. then i probably will shift some of them to receive direct sunlight....

thanks guys!!!

I'm going to sow D. spathulata, D. Burmannii and D. Capensis now.. I put some fine cutted sphagnum moss into a plastic see-through container, no holes for drainage.. and sprinkle them on top of them.. is it alright?

I might just put t cover on top of it, w/o lock them tight.. this allows air flow in yet, maintain the humidity inside the containers...
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #26 on 28 Mar, 2008, 9:16 »Don worry about your questions. We are all still learning like you and we also still ask questions.

Like what the rest say, just leave them alone. My best plants are those that I ignore, ie. I do not fiddle with them and shift them around. Just water them. Somehow they do not like the attention. I think CPs are loners, living in their own world.

Don worry about humidity. Water evaporating from the tray and media will create enough humidity around your CPs. Keep us updated on their progress ok.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar, 2008, 9:18 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpheabs

« Reply #27 on 28 Mar, 2008, 11:18 »Yup yup.. i will.. thanks dave! Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #28 on 31 Mar, 2008, 1:45 »Guy, my filiformis has some serius problems...

It starts to dry, and new leave are drying out also..
what should i do?

really like bifur said, have a leaf cutting propagation? it still in unhealthy state man..

HELP!!!

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

Re: My CPs growing progress - HELP OUT!!!
« Reply #29 on 31 Mar, 2008, 2:03 »If the plant can't make it after 1 week, I replace a new one for you. Don't worry. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimpheabs

« Reply #30 on 31 Mar, 2008, 2:48 »
Quote: If the plant can't make it after 1 week, I replace a new one for you. Don't worry.
Oh... Very good to hear that...

Thanks a lot pisces
But i hope it could make it.. *sob sob*

Oh lord! *down knees with fingers cross*

« Reply #31 on 31 Mar, 2008, 3:34 »Oh yeah..
just our of curiousity, how do you guys get your minerals-free water, as DI water, RO water or whatsoever?
My mum poured away colletecd rainwater.. = ="

I'm wondering if the DI water that sold at the car accessories aisle in any hypermarket could be used for watering CPs!?

« Reply #32 on 31 Mar, 2008, 7:08 »Pheabs,
I still recommend u to try putting ur plants outdoors for better air circulation.
I dunno what other growers have experience, but i use tap water for all my CPs for abt 3 years now, and i dont see any ill effects on my plants.

Naj
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #33 on 31 Mar, 2008, 9:33 »I agree with artificialive. They would be better off outside. I think using tap water if you place them outside would be fine too. I use RO water for my droseras that I have under artificial lights in my house. When I use tap water on them, they stop producing dews and start to look sickly. But those that I placed outside seem to do well with tap water. So, my theory is this...

Droseras are forgiving if you do not give them all the requirements that they need, meaning if you can provide 3 out of 4 of their requirements, they'll be relatively happy. If water quality is not so good but humidity and air flow is good, or the media and sunlight is perfect, they will do fine.

« Reply #34 on 31 Mar, 2008, 12:56 »
I still recommend u to try putting ur plants outdoors for better air circulation.
I dunno what other growers have experience, but i use tap water for all my CPs for abt 3 years now, and i dont see any ill effects on my plants.

Naj

I got it, thanks naj....

air circulation!? hmm, my dining room fan and my room's ventilatin fan are working 24 hrs, it still be a problem?

Okay okay.. i try to get a place outdoor and sqeeze them in asap...

« Reply #35 on 31 Mar, 2008, 13:01 »
Quote: I agree with artificialive. They would be better off outside. I think using tap water if you place them outside would be fine too. I use RO water for my droseras that I have under artificial lights in my house. When I use tap water on them, they stop producing dews and start to look sickly. But those that I placed outside seem to do well with tap water. So, my theory is this...

Droseras are forgiving if you do not give them all the requirements that they need, meaning if you can provide 3 out of 4 of their requirements, they'll be relatively happy. If water quality is not so good but humidity and air flow is good, or the media and sunlight is perfect, they will do fine.

Yeah, i got it... lolx

Except for my filiformis "red"
then rest just do fine,

ping has new leaf, i see a bit dew is produce....
Burmannii produces some dew and 3 new leaves as well...
Few of the VFT getting reddish....
filiformis ver tracyi still looks fine, and so adalae......

Re: My CPs growing progress - rest in peace =.=
« Reply #36 on 2 Apr, 2008, 4:48 »It just a week.. T.T
My poor filiformis...

and now the filiformis var tracyi just about to follow its buddy does...T.T

Good news,
My D. Burmannii produces some dews, enough to trap an ant

and so my VFT,
there was a annoying little fly,
so i just knocked it out, and put it into the trap. Thing didn't go smooth, trap didn't close...
When i was wondering how could it be, the fly woke up and tried to escape...

Vuala!!!!! It itself touched t trigger, and leaf closed... hohoho...
smart ass.... good job my baby!!!!!

D. Adalaes don't produce dew though, they look healthy...

Oh yeah! No sticky dew on my ping though it poped up another leaf!!!
« Last Edit: 2 Apr, 2008, 4:52 by pheabs »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #37 on 2 Apr, 2008, 5:01 »Another question,
I was strolling in a nursery to hunt a pot for sow Byblis' seeds, I got shocked when i see their Neps!!!!

It's huge though plants' still short.... When i asked them what kind of media they are using, and guess what!?

They use organic soil!

How could that be!?

BTW, i bought 2 round pot which diameter are 6" with 3" height.. it is enough for byblis to grow to mature plant w/o transplanting!?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on 2 Apr, 2008, 12:06 »Your D. paradoxa has turn green. This indicated that your place got no enough sunlight. I can replace the D. filiformis var. filiformis. But you have to put it outdoor. Else, it will died again.
And also the other CPs. May be except, D.adelae and P. primuliflora.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr, 2008, 12:07 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimpheabs

« Reply #39 on 2 Apr, 2008, 12:35 »
Quote: Your D. paradoxa has turn green. This indicated that your place got no enough sunlight. I can replace the D. filiformis var. filiformis. But you have to put it outdoor. Else, it will died again.
And also the other CPs. May be except, D.adelae and P. primuliflora.

OKay okay.. I'll put them to outdoor shaded area...
thanks a lot....
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on 2 Apr, 2008, 12:56 »Outdoor but no shade. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimDavid
Administrator

« Reply #41 on 2 Apr, 2008, 13:50 »
Quote: Another question,
I was strolling in a nursery to hunt a pot for sow Byblis' seeds, I got shocked when i see their Neps!!!!
It's huge though plants' still short.... When i asked them what kind of media they are using, and guess what!?

They use organic soil!

How could that be!?

Nepenthes are tolerant of a wide range of media. Even in the wild they grow on a wide variaty of soil/media, some of which have nutrients in them. That's why most Nep growers nowadays fertilise their neps with very diluted fertilisers and it works wonders. However, never try this on other CPs. A few Nep species are also not tolerant of media with nutrients, especially highlanders.

Usually new growers to neps are advised to use sphagnum moss, peat, coconut chips and wood bark to be on the safe side. These are lacking in nutrients and minerals.

However, most probably the media in those xventrata pots are sphagnum peat moss unless they repotted them into new pots with their own media.

Is the media pitch black or dark brown in colour and very fine? If yes, it is most probably peat moss.

I also noticed that only the old leaves nearest to the media has pitchers. Those on the vines have no pitchers.

« Reply #42 on 2 Apr, 2008, 16:04 »
Quote: Outdoor but no shade.
i meant for my D. adalae and ping... sorry...

By the way... this is where i get them dun bath, car porch...

« Reply #43 on 2 Apr, 2008, 16:08 »
Quote:
Quote: Another question,

They use organic soil!

How could that be!?

Nepenthes are tolerant of a wide range of media. Even in the wild they grow on a wide variaty of soil/media, some of which have nutrients in them. That's why most Nep growers nowadays fertilise their neps with very diluted fertilisers and it works wonders. However, never try this on other CPs. A few Nep species are also not tolerant of media with nutrients, especially highlanders.

Usually new growers to neps are advised to use sphagnum moss, peat, coconut chips and wood bark to be on the safe side. These are lacking in nutrients and minerals.

However, most probably the media in those xventrata pots are sphagnum peat moss unless they repotted them into new pots with their own media.

Is the media pitch black or dark brown in colour and very fine? If yes, it is most probably peat moss.

I also noticed that only the old leaves nearest to the media has pitchers. Those on the vines have no pitchers.

Hmm.. they probably mix peat moss in it.. Because i did saw soil inside the pot...

How bout the pot i bought?
Is it okay for byblis sowing?

« Reply #44 on 3 Apr, 2008, 10:42 »going to sow my byblis seed... anxious.. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

Re: My CPs growing progress - little wierdo =.=
« Reply #45 on 9 Apr, 2008, 12:05 »my ping getting weird.. it seems like dying.. = =" how come?

« Reply #46 on 9 Apr, 2008, 14:09 »do you put it under direct sun?
for how long?
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]bactrus

member is online

« Reply #47 on 9 Apr, 2008, 15:08 » Happened to mine too. Now no more big ping, managed to salvage one tiny fellow. Mine is always in the balcony- sunny in the morning and bright in the afternoon, till the fellow died. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBApiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on 9 Apr, 2008, 21:17 »I would say this is due to low humidity in your place. Try to put it covered aquarium and see how. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimbactrus

member is online

« Reply #49 on 10 Apr, 2008, 9:09 » Okay. Will try to nurture the tiny fellow in hight humidity condition. Strong wind my place... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBA