Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 15th October 2008, 04:25 PM

Default wistuba order

hi guys

really like to get your opinion about this

i made really big order from wistuba with adi (friend from israel and forum member )

adi got all the plants he ordered and my plants got mixed up with another guy plants (as adi wrote two weeks ago)

my plants will arrive by this end of the mounth (its the beginning of the winter in israel)

really want to get your opinion about my new plants in meanning of soil humidity watering and basically how to best acclimate those new arriveals
as i saw adi plants they were realy realy small its seems like they can tolarate any mistake in these size

and i plane to grow all of them by the window side i dont have any special eqiupment
so after this long intro my order plants:

Nepenthes bicalcarata i ordered two of those but they are really small
Nepenthes gymnamphora
Nepenthes truncata
Nepenthes veitchii
Nepenthes fusca
Nepenthes sibuyanensis
Nepenthes spectabilis

10x
Old 15th October 2008, 09:04 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: wistuba order

The requirements will depend on whether the plants are lowland or highland. The bical is lowland and requires very warm and humid conditons to survive. You need to ensure that this plant stays warm. Some of the others can be either lowland or highland so if you know which that will make iot easier. Otherwise you will have to try one set of conditions and monitor the plant. The highlands should be a little easier to acclimatise since you are coming onto winter. They will do best if the temps are mid 20's celcius during the day, droping to around 18 at night. Of course these are optimal conditons and my highlands grow outside in temperate Australia through the winter in my glass house which is un heated (the temps can get down near to 0) and don't seem to mind too much at all.

As for media Nep's prefer a mixture that is wuite airy. Highlands will grow well in pure Sphagnum or you can mix in some pine bark or perlite to make it a little more open. The lowlands generally go better with a mix that has some peat moss in it. something with perlite, pine bark and peat should work well for these. Of course everyone has different ideas and different mixes that work for them. I personally use several different mixes for different plants. It all depends on what seems to work best for individual species.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strath76 View Post
The requirements will depend on whether the plants are lowland or highland. The bical is lowland and requires very warm and humid conditons to survive. You need to ensure that this plant stays warm. Some of the others can be either lowland or highland so if you know which that will make iot easier. Otherwise you will have to try one set of conditions and monitor the plant. The highlands should be a little easier to acclimatise since you are coming onto winter. They will do best if the temps are mid 20's celcius during the day, droping to around 18 at night. Of course these are optimal conditons and my highlands grow outside in temperate Australia through the winter in my glass house which is un heated (the temps can get down near to 0) and don't seem to mind too much at all.

As for media Nep's prefer a mixture that is wuite airy. Highlands will grow well in pure Sphagnum or you can mix in some pine bark or perlite to make it a little more open. The lowlands generally go better with a mix that has some peat moss in it. something with perlite, pine bark and peat should work well for these. Of course everyone has different ideas and different mixes that work for them. I personally use several different mixes for different plants. It all depends on what seems to work best for individual species.

thanks for that
Old 15th October 2008, 09:27 PM

Just put the stressed plants in a plastic bag about 1/3 of water in it.
Leave the plants there untill you get to see some good results.

This technique will make the lants to recover faster expecially the HL plants.

Good luck!
Old 16th October 2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliamyz View Post
Just put the stressed plants in a plastic bag about 1/3 of water in it.
Leave the plants there untill you get to see some good results.

This technique will make the lants to recover faster expecially the HL plants.

Good luck!
this is very good tip thanks

if you got anymore like that i am happy to get them

thanks