Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default David: D. intermedia (Read 144 times)

David
Administrator

D. intermedia
« Thread Started on 19 Dec, 2006, 9:04 »Here's some pictures of my D. intermedia. They're about 1 inche in diameter. Just ignore the ugly green algae ok... haa, haaa...

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec, 2006, 9:05 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist3sgjeffery
Re: D. intermedia
« Reply #1 on 26 Dec, 2006, 11:14 »Wah! Nice detail you took, David

Will the algae kills the plants?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 26 Dec, 2006, 11:51 »Well, I am quite new at growing drosera but I think the algae should not kill the plant unless maybe if they overgrow the plants which I doubt since the plant is already so big.

But this also tells me that the light intensity and air circulation is not enough, that's why algae is growing.

I've shifted the plants to another grow chamber with higher light intensity and better air circulation a few days ago. Hopefully they will grow better with less algae.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec, 2006, 11:52 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 26 Dec, 2006, 11:56 »David,
i read somewhere quoting that sundews are very bad at competing resources. thats why the articles said that if possible, remove all unwanted weeds growing with the sundews. sundews are easily overgrown by other plants. maybe other experienced sundews growers have different angle point of views.
Hmm, sorry i cant remember where i read the article. read too much at one time. CP madness is conquering my mind!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #4 on 26 Dec, 2006, 12:52 »I think it is true that sundews can be easily overgrown by other plants since they are low growing and small. But I doubt that competing plants will affect them since they live is nutrient poor soil and get their nutrients from insects. They are actually more sensitive to nutrients in the soil as compared to pitcher plants.

I've seen many growers grow a few Sundews in the same pot with no ill effect. It might be good for other plants or algae to grow in the pot so that these other plants can absorb the nutrients that are harmful to Sundews. Some growers grow Sundews on live sphagnum moss.