Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default artificialive: CP medium

artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

CP medium
« Thread Started on Dec 27, 2006, 8:37pm » Hi guys,
a fren of mine told me that when he bought the neps, he asked the nursery owner about the medium used. I was surprised that the nursery owner told that hamsters bedding can be used as the replacement for sphagnum moss. i fell theres something wrong here. Any comments?

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.185.224[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] David
Administrator

member is online

Re: CP medium
« Reply #1 on Dec 28, 2006, 9:33am » Hamster bedding are usually made of shavings of pine wood. To me I would not use it for the following reasons...

One, most hamster bedding are treated with perfume or chemicals that might harm CPs. You guys know how sesitive Cps are to chemicals.

Two, wood shavings will decompose faster, especially pine wood shavings. On top of that, fungus will grow since Cps alsways grow in wet medium. I tried it before and fungus do grow and there is a rotten smell after a while. This might harm the roots too and encourage bacteria and germs to grow.

Three, the wood shavings might not provide the high acid levels that CPs require.

Four, haster wood shavings will not be able to retain water as long as sphagnum moss.

Sphagnum moss is the best as it takes a long time to decompose into peat moss. And even so, CPs love peat moss as it is very acidic. Sphagnum moss is also sterile and it is a natural prevention for fungus. Fungus do not grow on sphagnum moss. This substract is a natural wonder. Perfect human bodies that are hundreds of years old have been found buried and preserved under sphagnum peat moss.

I will just use sphagnum moss and perlite. These materials might be more expensive but your CPs can grow in them for a longer period.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2006, 9:38am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on Dec 28, 2006, 10:04am » thanx david for the elaboration
i once had some hamsters.. and the bedding have some kind of smell, and i think its the chemicals from it..
have to warn my friend abt this haha

btw, some articles suggested using coconut peat as a substitute for sphagnum moss. but coconut peat breaks down faster than sphagnum moss. Ill be going for sphagnum moss/ peat moss tho
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2006, 10:19am by artificialive »Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.192.55[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #3 on Jan 10, 2007, 7:46pm » and not only that coco peat produces smell of decay material. Ants love the environment. I used to use cocopeat but when i found out i changed all the medium to sphagnum moss. we all learn the hard way
Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.25.0 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #4 on Jan 11, 2007, 9:06am » According to some growers, if the origin og the coconut tree is beside the seaside and the coconut peat is produce from that tree, it contains salts in it and kills cps.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist lisham

« Reply #5 on Aug 17, 2007, 3:00pm » My story... I started using coco peat+river sand+charcoal when I tried cultivating n. mirabilis... Now I'm still using them... Most of of neps are OK... I repeat MOST!

As for the salt content in coco peat... I'm in langkawi so most of the coconuts grows near the ocean... Just soak the coco peat in water for 2-3 days... drain and repeat...

I do this not because of the salt... It's becos coco peat+charcoal+water means brownish blackish water coming out of the pot... Stains the floor...

So I guess soaking lessen the problem of salt...

Apart from that... my house is within walking distance from the ocean... Less than 5 minutes walk.

Am having problems with n. albo tho... They don't grow well and no pitcher... Am keeping them on the drier side... Still no pitcher...

Last time had trouble with n. bellii... But after keeping them slightly dry... they produced pitchers on almost every leaves...

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.9.221