Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 15th September 2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Nepenthes in YG

I am sure YG has their own ligetimate reasons for not selling to individual locally. Perhaps they are not so keen to sell to locals individually because they would become a competitor to their distribution channels, ie. other nurseries in Malaysia.

As mentioned earlier they are a wholesaller with one retail shop in CH. So if you are buying in bulk from them they will sell to you and it may be cheaper. I think it is not that they are arrogant. I have spoken to the bosses of YG and bought alot of plants from them before in the past. They are no where near arrogant. And by the way I bought in bulk from them, not a few pots.

During MAHA, when Ms. Cheong found out from Tarence that we were interested in Ceph, she purposely brought the stocks down in her own car from CH for us.

They have a few nurseries and yes, alot of plants. They purchase in bulk tissue culture plants and grow them by the thousands. They do not only distribute to the nurseries in Malaysia and Singapore but other countries overseas.

It's just like EP where they have a minimum order of Aus$500.00 before they would sell you any plant. That's because they cater more for nurseries rather than individuals, but of course if we can afford the Aus$500.00 or we joint together and make a group purchase, they will sell to us.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb

Last edited by Tarence; 15th September 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 15th September 2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am sure YG has their own ligetimate reasons for not selling to individual locally. Perhaps they are not so keen to sell to locals individually because they would become a competitor to their distribution channels, ie. other nurseries in Malaysia.

As mentioned earlier they are a wholesaller with one retail shop in CH. So if you are buying in bulk from them they will sell to you and it may be cheaper. I think it is not that they are arrogant.

They have a few nurseries and yes, alot of plants. They purchase in bulk tissue culture plants and grow them by the thousands. They do not only distribute to the nurseries in Malaysia and Singapore but other countries overseas.

It's just like EP where they have a minimum order of Aus$500.00 before they would sell you any plant. That's because they cater more for nurseries rather than individuals, but of course if we can afford the Aus$500.00 or we joint together and make a group purchase, they will sell to us.
Thanks David for clearing up everything.When i said they were arrogant i didn't really mean it .Ep's minimum oder seems to be quite a lot.Definitly it'll take us a group purchase if we wanted to get anything like that.

Ken

Last edited by Tarence; 15th September 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 15th September 2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Don't worry about it Ken. Yaa, I've always wanted to buy EP's beautiful hybrid Neps but could never afford it. Maybe we can make a group purchase one of these days. But there's a little hassle... we have to apply for import permit etc. I think Choong (kltower) or Fauzi can help us out here.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 15th September 2008, 03:12 PM

I been in YG and bought some pitcher and drosera from them as individual.

I called them to get direction before I went there. They were not friendly over the phone. I went anyway and found that they were quite friendly. I told them what I was after and they showed me what they had in stock.

I think they are very professional. I wanted some of the plants and they told me that they weren't selling because the plant were too young and will not survive in non-expert hand. They did not want to spoilt thier reputation.

Personally I understand why they don;t want to entertain retail customer as they will not be able to cope. I think group order is a good idea. and if you are getting one or two plants, it is better to go to thier retail shop.

BTW, I am Malaysian so I don't think they entertain only foreigner. I told them I am not dealer and they were still nice to me. However, I did spend hundreds and loaded my whole cars with plants.

Yoong
Old 15th September 2008, 05:38 PM
Advisor

I`ve been to YG as well and yes, they were nice. They sell more willingly to private collectors rather than nurseries coz of their reputation being at stake if the plants don`t grow.

Anyway, like David says, Ms Chong & her team of folks were so nice to us at MAHA. I also met the big bosses and they were friendly too.

Its best not to criticize or slam YG unless you know the whole story.
Old 16th September 2008, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yaa, I've always wanted to buy EP's beautiful hybrid Neps but could never afford it. Maybe we can make a group purchase one of these days. But there's a little hassle... we have to apply for import permit etc. I think Choong (kltower) or Fauzi can help us out here.
I like that idea !! Let me know when you're ready to do a group order

As for YG, please don't blame them if they dont want to sell you plants at the nursery, they're after all a supplier growing and distributing plants to local and overseas nursery, that's why they have a retail store to cater us, the end users. If they openly sell plants to private collector, how would that make their dealers feel?