Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default siti: Drosera in Peninsular Malaysia (Read 237 times)

siti

Drosera in Peninsular Malaysia
« Thread Started on 11 Sept, 2007, 18:13 »Hi everyone!
Is anyone know the right place which i can find Drosera sp. in Peninsular Malaysia. Based on our collection, D. burmanni had collected from Terengganu, Pahang and G. Ledang. D. indica only collected from Langkawi. If any member's know about this, i hope u dont mind to share any info with me.
Thank u very much.
Best regard,
ct
« Last Edit: 5 Mar, 2008, 8:48 by siti »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

Re: Drosera in Peninsular Malaysia
« Reply #1 on 11 Sept, 2007, 18:36 »if you can give me the type of wild growing condition of d. indica then maybe I can look for a likely spot.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 11 Sept, 2007, 21:32 »Hi, Siti. Did you mean that you personally met those sundew in those area? Don't know our place got D. burmanni and D. indica. Really exicted to know about this! « Last Edit: 12 Sept, 2007, 11:58 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 11 Sept, 2007, 21:54 »Hmm... D. indica in Langkawi... Siti, Did you study it's life span?

Don't know if the Langkawi's D. indica will live longer than the strain I have now? May be the tropica one won't died after got flower...

Siti. Do you have the photo for this sundew?
« Last Edit: 11 Sept, 2007, 21:55 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimsiti

« Reply #4 on 12 Sept, 2007, 8:54 »lisham- D. indica habit; heathy or sandy places, speciemen note: 'surrounding Langkawi'
Piscesilim- I have seen Drosera in Kew Garden and Hortus Botanicus Garden, Leiden, The Netherland, mostly cultivated but i never met Drosera in wild yet. i'm looking forward to find it.

In FRIM, we have very poor collection on Dosera, but from SING herbarium (S'pore), D. indica had colllected from Langkawi in 1889 by Curtis and in 1900 by M. Haniff (Famous Malay Plant Collector). If anyone can find Drosera again in Langkawi, that be very good, there is no record found in others places yet. For D. burmanni, usually in damp sandy spots, mossy places, more widespread than D. indica. It has been found a few places in Terengganu and Pahang and also on Kedah Peak and Mt Ophir (old name for Mt. Ledang).

I have photo for specimen herbarium of D. indica from Langkawi, how can i share here? anwy, Drosera herbarium specimen not good looking as the life one huhu..

Sharing the interesting plant with all the Lover's really great. I 'm very pleasure if u guys can give me some advise on Drosera (anything about habit, morphology or else..)

In Malaysia, the easy place to find Drosera is Tmn Ngr Bako. But, again, i never been to Borneo yet.

Hopely, we can share more in future.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 12 Sept, 2007, 9:23 »Siti, d.burmanii can also be found nearby kuching. can`t reveal the exact location tho.

you are welcomed to view some varieties of drosera in my garden if you wish...limited lah compared to Kew Gardens ( my dream place to visit or even work as a gardener, heheh )....check out the grow list section for what i have if you are keen.

btw, is the spellling burmanni or burmanii ? i think it`s the latter rite.....but do correct me if i`m wrong coz i meself often get confused.

cheers Siti.....
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedsiti

« Reply #6 on 12 Sept, 2007, 9:52 »Thanks Tarence.. i willing to vsit ur garden. can u give me ur contact number. .u can email me.
about the spelling..
u can check the right spelling in IPNI.
D. burmanni is the correct one.

Droseraceae: Drosera burmanni Vahl -- Symbolae Botanicae 3 1794 (APNI)

cheers..

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 12 Sept, 2007, 10:05 »ok, noted...i`ll pm you on my contact #. thx. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 12 Sept, 2007, 12:05 »Hmm... 1900... That's mean no record for D. indica after 1900? It's about 100 years ago! Anyway, I would like to explore around the Langkawi once I got enough money.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 12 Sept, 2007, 13:32 »ask Lisham to bring you round lah Lim if you go.....i think he knows all the corners, bushes, small jungles, streams etc. heheh.

i don`t understand how come droseras haven`t been spotted there after 1900. was there a drastic climatic change or some huge forest fire which extincted the plants ? hmmmm.....
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #10 on 12 Sept, 2007, 13:50 »Perhaps it's development. These plants are so delicate and small. Even if they were growing on a few meter square area and a group of hikers walked by, there goes the plants. All smashed and elimited.

I doubt it is because of poaching as not many people know about these plants in Malaysia and there are no literature easily available on these plants.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistjonathan

« Reply #11 on 13 Sept, 2007, 1:07 »
Hi Siti...

Glad that i can meet you here too... haha... how are you doing??? hopefully everything is fine... anyway just drop by to say hi...

Regards Jonathan
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

lisham

« Reply #12 on 13 Sept, 2007, 8:56 »
Quote: ask Lisham to bring you round lah Lim if you go.....i think he knows all the corners, bushes, small jungles, streams etc. heheh.

i don`t understand how come droseras haven`t been spotted there after 1900. was there a drastic climatic change or some huge forest fire which extincted the plants ? hmmmm.....

Haah... you come la... but bring souvenirs ok?

Anyway, I dont think people didnt not spot any drosera here. i think even if they see it, they wont know what it is, especially for D. indica, unless seen in bright sunlight, it'll look like some grass blade with dew all over...

Ok, how bout giving me the basic growing condition for d. indica (swamp, sandy soil, etc), so I can guess the most likely spot to
find them in.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 13 Sept, 2007, 12:22 »Lisham. Check this.
http://theraphosidae.free.fr/img/Drosera_cf_indica_sindou_biotop1.JPG
http://www.medianetjapan.com/2/16/internet_computer/naoki/event040725.htm
http://digilander.libero.it/westaustrali....indica%2001.jpg

Any idea?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLim