Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th September 2010, 04:38 AM

Default Washing peat and sand.

Hello

I read that it is worth washing peat and sand as indicated at http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_peat_and_sand_for_carnivorous_plants.html

However, there may be some types of peat and sand that can be bought with very few impurities in it and it may not need washing.

I can buy Te-em brand locally and that is what is recommended for carnivorous plants. It is Canadian sphagnum based peat and it may not need washing like the other types.

Also, I read that propagating sand is much better and that is what they recommend. It says that it is washed. If I can get that, it may not need to be washed.
If ordinary sand is used they say to wash it well.

Would you still suggest that I wash this Te-em peat moss or propagating sand?

See the first 3 paragraph that are in green print at http://triffidpark.com.au/htm_pages/growing_carnivorous_plants.htm
I did not notice where they suggest to wash the peat or sand if this type is used.

I had been washing the peat and sand by putting a straining cloth in an open mesh tray and putting the peat and sand on top of that and then letting the hose run over it for about an hour to leach any impurities out.

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.