Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default David: Close up of D. burmanii dews (Read 168 times)

David
Administrator

Close up of D. burmanii dews
« Thread Started on 27 Aug, 2007, 13:15 »I just love to spend hours sitting beside my grow chamber with a magnify glass.

The purpose is to enjoy the beauty of the dews and tentacles of the plant. Best is when I feed them with insects and see up close and personal how the leaves and tentacles go into action.

It is different if you just view it with your naked eye. With a magnifying glass and light, the tentacles, leaves and dews are so beautiful. Every detail can be seen. Truely remarkable. Just bought a magnifying glass that coems with a mini led light on the handle.

To give you a glimps of what I mean, here are some close up pictures of my D. burmanii. Of course my pictures are not very clear as I borrowed a simple digital camera for this. Could not zoom in, but manage to use photoshop to blow it up.

This image is reduced by 2%, click it to view full size.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

Re: Close up of D. burmanii dews
« Reply #1 on 27 Aug, 2007, 13:20 »Looks like some coral sea creature... beautiful but deadly (if you're an insect!)

*scratch own head.... Where to get one of those?
« Last Edit: 27 Aug, 2007, 13:22 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 27 Aug, 2007, 13:35 »David , that`s why you got perpetual tan on your face ! heheh....

how did you take those photos ? shine the torch on it & then then close up mode on camera & snap then photoshop ? I`ve been trying to take photos like these since I dunno when....

« Last Edit: 27 Aug, 2007, 13:42 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 27 Aug, 2007, 14:06 »Yaa, talk about the tan on my face. Still have not bought the spectacles yet after Cindy reminded me that my eyes will get spoit if I stare too long into the grow chamber with the lights on.

Actually I don't know how I do it. But difficult I tell you. Have to keep trying. Try zooming in from different distances and tried the auto macro mode on the camera. Alot came out blur. Don't know much about cameras. Just keep trying different light levels, distance of camera from plant, with room light on, room lights off, under the grow chamber with lighting on, etc, etc... The frustrating thing is eventhough I use macro on the camera I can't go close enough to be able to zoom in as near as I would like.

After that I use photoshop to increase the dpi of the selectd pictures to 300. Zoom in and crop the picture. Then save at maximum quality. Each picture was above 4 megabytes. Then use photoshop again to reduce picture size while maintaining the 300 dpi quality.

Oh, forgot to mention, I use a big magnifying glass infront of the camera to magnify the the plant. But can't remember if some of these pictures are those with the magnifying glass.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug, 2007, 14:13 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 27 Aug, 2007, 14:50 »Being under `house arrest` does allow you ample time to do these sort of things. Heheh.

I want to try taking these sort of photos for my binata and paradoxa and indica.....it should come out quite unique i guess altho i`m not sure how i`m suppose to steady the magnifying glass in front of my camera lense & still manage to balance the whole thing....

things to do.....things to do.........
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #5 on 27 Aug, 2007, 15:20 »It's real fun in your free time and when you are alone doing this sort of macro photography. What the camera can do, You must have known better now David. Nice photos. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #6 on 27 Aug, 2007, 15:44 »Waa, coming from you Robert (a proffesional photographer), that really means something. Geee, thanks.

Tarence, yaa, that was what I did, ie. one hand holding the camera and one hand the magnifying glass. But of course my friends camera is small. Not those big ones. So easier to handle with one hand. But Still hand still shake.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 27 Aug, 2007, 18:17 »Wow, David like professional. Those pictures are surprisingly good, keep it up! Good job. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSDavid
Administrator

« Reply #8 on 28 Aug, 2007, 12:31 »
Quote: Looks like some coral sea creature... beautiful but deadly (if you're an insect!)

*scratch own head.... Where to get one of those?

Hi Lisham,

You do not have D. burmanii? Might have some seeds ripening soon. Will send you some if you want. Maybe other members here might have a plant or two to spare. Anybody?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 28 Aug, 2007, 22:54 »Lisham, I have many small plantlet. But I think the best way is still growing from seeds since you are far away from us here in KL, the plant may not survive the postage. If you still want it, we should fine a way. But mine are all growing in a big pot, have to dig them out carefully. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSjonathan

« Reply #10 on 31 Aug, 2007, 18:10 »
Hehe... Ts... like te way you dig it out for me??? haha... they are doing great now thanks for the plantlet... Ops... sorry off topic... haiz....

David great close up pic there... hope i would have a camera to do that sometimes... working hard for the camera le.. haha....

Regards Jonathan
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....